Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

In Search of... The Correct 151 Swizzle Construction

Pages: 1 4 replies

The 151 Swizzle, as served at the Mai Kai in Fort Lauderdale, is an Amazing Thing!

It is served, however, in a 10oz. metal cup that sits inside of a straight sided double old fashioned glass full of crushed ice. The ice surrounds the outside of the Metal Cup (which Beach Bum Berry refers to on Page 45 of the "Grog Log").

I have a 10oz. Metal Cup of the type they use at The Mai Kai. I also have a Straight Sided Double Old Fashioned Glass.

I'm wondering if anyone has any idea how they get the crushed ice to provide a cushion for the Metal Cup on the Bottom and All Around the Sides of the DOF?

Also... Was it always served this way? Or was the 10oz Metal Cup the only container at some point (back before we got all wimpy and sensitive to people who don't like to hold glasses that are "Too Cold" while they're enjoying a Cold Beverage)?

Please Help!

S

Can't answer exactly, but, it might work like the ice shell. Put in crushed ice and use a spoon or something to press it to the sides, put it in the freezer and it hardens in shape. For the ice shell, use a "round" glass and one it sets up, push one side so it turns up and then pack more ice in the glass to hold it and re-freeze.

Would a double-walled metal cup accomplish the same thing? Keep the chill on the drink but be comfortable to hold?

I have this Thermos vacuum mug that even has kind of a flare like the o.g. swizzle cup (Berry's) ...

I remember being served 151 Swizzles in the metal cup without the double rocks glass the first year the Mai-Kai started using the Beachbum Berry Cocktail Kingdom metal cups. They served the drink wrapped in a cocktail napkin.

Just my personal opinion but I think them serving the drink in the cup in nested in the rocks glass has much more to do with the tendency of the tall, skinny, narrow-bottomed swizzle cups to want to tip over than with concerns over the cold metal cup in patrons' hands.

In any event, I have changed with the times and now serve 151 Swizzles at home in the swizzle cup nested in an ice-filled Mai Tai glass as well. :)

S

On 2016-08-11 05:55, Sunny&Rummy wrote:
I remember being served 151 Swizzles in the metal cup without the double rocks glass the first year the Mai-Kai started using the Beachbum Berry Cocktail Kingdom metal cups. They served the drink wrapped in a cocktail napkin.

Just my personal opinion but I think them serving the drink in the cup in nested in the rocks glass has much more to do with the tendency of the tall, skinny, narrow-bottomed swizzle cups to want to tip over than with concerns over the cold metal cup in patrons' hands.

In any event, I have changed with the times and now serve 151 Swizzles at home in the swizzle cup nested in an ice-filled Mai Tai glass as well. :)

Correct. It is unfortunate that The Bum's swizzle cups are even more small at the base and top heavy. We found new aluminum cups at a store recently that were closer to a pint glass with a big base. Did not get them as a 151 Swizzle is such a small drink a bigger cup would big crazy.

If you flash blend the Swizzle, put it in a metal cup and then use the cinnamon stick to stir it up, it will set up like a shell in there with the ice sticking to the metal.

Pages: 1 4 replies