Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

LA Home Tiki Bar Tour Aug 9th PICS PAGE 3

Pages: 1 2 56 replies

M

Aloha,

The first annual Los Angeles Home Tiki Bar Tour is a go!
August 9th from 4-10pm
We will be touring 5 uber-cool Home Tiki Bars by air-conditioned coach!
Each bar will feature a specialty Tiki drink and appetizers.
And as if that wasn't enough each crawler will receive a special event mug.
This is a great chance to share in the creativity that is a Home Tiki Bar.
And meet some new Tiki friends.

Tour begins and ends in Glendale, ca.

Tickets are $40 per person for the crawl. Non Refundable

Please PM me for ticket reservations and I will send you the info to pay with PayPal.

Seating is limited to bus capacity so sign up quick. First come first serve.

Mahalo,
Murph

[ Edited by: Murph 2008-07-28 14:32 ]

[ Edited by: Murph 2008-08-12 11:04 ]

H

Can you post a list of the home bars on the itinerary? Thanks!

Bummer it's on the 9th. Now we have to decide between the crawl and the Tiki Burn in Huntington.

What to do, what to do!!!!!!!!!!!!!

M
Murph posted on Thu, Jul 17, 2008 2:57 PM

Here are the bars on the crawl:

The Bamboo Bar
Pete's Tiki Lounge
The HaleKahiki
Darrell's Tiki Bar
The Waikiki Womb

Trust me these are some swank pads!

If you weren't planning on drinking, you might be able to make both events.
Oh and it would help if you had the super power to fly.
Hope to see you all on the tour!

Best
Mark

P

Were you aware that August 9 is International Tiki Day?

Whether you were or not, this seems like a fine way to celebrate.

Put me down for 1. I will PM you.

M
Murph posted on Thu, Jul 17, 2008 3:23 PM

On 2008-07-17 10:27, Skinny Dog wrote:
Bummer it's on the 9th. Now we have to decide between the crawl and the Tiki Burn in Huntington.

August 9th is INTERNATIONAL TIKI DAY! :tiki:
This is how it should be a ton of TIKI EVENTS :drink:

This is a problem we should all have too many Tiki choices.:D
Seriously either event will be a great choice.

On 2008-07-17 15:23, Murph wrote:

On 2008-07-17 10:27, Skinny Dog wrote:

August 9th is INTERNATIONAL TIKI DAY! :tiki:
This is how it should be a ton of TIKI EVENTS :drink:

This is a problem we should all have too many Tiki choices.:D
Seriously either event will be a great choice.

Why not do BOTH! ???

Start the crawl at 10 am and have the last stop be the Tiki Burn at Huntington! After that (10pm?) the bus takes you back to the starting point.

If so, count me in!

T

WOO-HOO! I'm in!! Those pix look incredible!!! This should be one AWESOME event!!!! Here's some more exclamation points to show how excited I am: !!!!!

H

I am in and possibly one more.

POSSIBLY!

The first stop is just up the road, you have to come & vist your neighbors.
The Bamboo Bar is just off Reseda on Minnehaha in Porter Ranch/Northridge.

Best
Mark

I was just at the bar pictured. The bar has been set very high there!

M
Murph posted on Sat, Jul 19, 2008 2:09 AM

On 2008-07-19 00:02, Tiki Diablo wrote:
I was just at the bar pictured. The bar has been set very high there!

Very high! but there are two bars pictured above.

S

Oh no!!! We are having a party that day/evening as a combo housewarming (yeah yeah, we actually moved in back in March) and our 1 year anniversary of our first date.

We will have to celebrate in full tiki style, instead, at our own pad.
Too bad WE don't have a home bar. Curses!

I am so sad to be missing these home bars. Please, take loads of pix!

M
Murph posted on Mon, Jul 21, 2008 6:22 PM

Wow, Looks like it's going to be a great Tour!
Spaces are filling up fast.
Your seat is not officially reserved until I receive your Paypal payment.
The Paypal info is sent to you in response to your PM to me.
So don't wait too long are you will miss a seat on the bus!

Thanks to our own tour mixologist, SparkleMark, the drinks are going to be as awesome as the bars themselves.
No bottled mixes or bottled juices here.
Just the real deal, back in the Heday, style Tiki Drinks.

The LA Home Tiki Bar Tour is set to fire off on all 5 of your senses!

[ Edited by: Murph 2008-07-21 18:29 ]

[ Edited by: Murph 2008-07-21 22:38 ]

I am super excited about the tour!! I can't wait to see all the other home bars and meet all the LA tiki officiants!
We (actually just Mark) have been working really hard on building our tiki bar. We bought our 1957 Palmer and Krisel house just four months ago, but fortunately it had a very cool free standing bar right in the middle of everything!

Mark is pulling out all of his old Trader Vic's recipes to plan potent drinks for each stop. He is very picky about his Mai Tais and squeezes all the juices by hand and makes his own simple syrups.

I have planned some fabulous pupus for each bar, too. My famous coconut cupcakes and Little Brownie Brownies will served as well.

I look forward to meeting everyone on the the big day!

Very Best,
Gem

M

Two weeks and counting!

Have you got your Crawl clothes all laid out?

M
Murph posted on Mon, Jul 28, 2008 2:35 PM

We have official LA Home Bar Tour flyer artwork thanks to Eric October!

Kudos to Eric.

M

The Home Tiki Bar Crawl is getting closer!
I hope you all have been practicing your "crawl".
There's still time to make a reservation.
Don't wait till the last minute to slip in under the wire.

T

Wow, Murph!

I didn't realize it was going to be that kind of crawl! My tiki shirt is going to get runied!

M
Murph posted on Tue, Aug 5, 2008 10:20 AM

We've got a guy at the end of the tour with a hose to clean you off :D

T

i'm really looking forward to this. i'm hoping that in a smaller group setting, i'll get to know some fellow TC'ers ('cause i'm kinda shy).

JK

Yeah, I'm wondering how many are going as well. I'm tiki-shy, too. Hopefully after a few rounds I can loosen up!

H

Well just come up and say hello and we'll go from there... :)

P

We're actually a pretty fun and mellow bunch, although I have heard it said that we tend to be a bit "hoity toity".

B

If we didn't have previous plans we would have done this tour. We have been to the first home bar pictured and it (and I'm sure the others too) should not be missed. I won't spoil anything here, but wait til you see it in it's proper lighting.....very moody. Best home bar I have ever seen. If you have not signed up for the tour ... do it now.

Is there still room for 2 ?

It is almost here (and our bar is almost done!!). We finally got to meet Murph in person, at a little pre-crawl juicing and tasting last night, and he is the very nicest guy! We are really looking forward to meeting everyone else tonight! It sounds like a super fun group of people will be attending. The bars sound amazing!!

Well, I had better get baking. Only nine hours to go!
Gem

P.S. Trader John, Please contact Murph to see if there are still tickets. I think that we have been sold out for a while but there could be a last minute cancellation.

JK

I stayed in last night preparing for this!

T

Cool pix, Joe Kona!

I am so EXITED about this tour!! I can't wait... all day yesterday I was thinking about it, and I realized I was looking forward to it as much as I anticipated Christmas Day when I was a kid... but this will be better, because there will be tropical drinks and tikis, plus the chance to meet some fellow TCers in person!

JK

Thank the tiki gods for that tour bus! You're right.....this is better than Christmas, especially since my Christmas' as a kid were freakin' snowbound in the drifts of Chicago. Brrrrrrrrr.......hence my migration to the West! Ahhh, liquid paradise is HOURS away!

Cannot wait to check out the home bars of the generous tiki hosts!

Joe

H

Joe Kona, nice pictures. See you guys in a few hours, this is going to be fun. My first home crawl.

JK

All I can say is WOW........what an inspirational and fantastic day! Tiki is definitely alive and kickin' in Los Angeles!

Mahalo to the all the great hosts and everyone who helped for making the tour extra special! It's 2AM, pics of the tour to post tomorrow!

Joe

My name is Joe Kona, and I'm a Tropicaholic! Addicted to Paradise......Currently focusing on photos of the islands of Hawai`i for my website, http://www.joekona.com.

[ Edited by: Joe Kona 2008-08-10 20:14 ]

JK

I'm finally up and working on some of the pics from last night....enjoy!

My name is Joe Kona, and I'm a Tropicaholic! Addicted to Paradise......Currently focusing on photos of the islands of Hawai`i for my website, http://www.joekona.com.

[ Edited by: Joe Kona 2008-08-10 11:35 ]

G
GROG posted on Sun, Aug 10, 2008 1:26 PM

So, are those pics from one bar or a few bars, and whose was it?

T

i'm hoping to add a couple of pix from yesterday myself, but in case i don't get to it right away, i just wanted to add my thanks and appreciation to all who were involved in making this happen. all the hosts/hostesses, and particularly Mr. & Mrs. Murph for organizing the whole thing and opening their awesome tiki home, and Mark, Gem and their daughter for opening their wonderful home/bar and preparing all the drinks and food(from scratch)!!! Everyone was totally gracious and it was the perfect way to celebrate International Tiki Day and get me revved up for Tiki Oasis next weekend!

[ Edited by: thedivas 2008-08-26 16:40 ]

JK

Grog,

All pics are from the Waikiki Womb except for the pic of the matches in the decanter. That pic is from Pete's Tiki bar. I'll post more epics, most likely link them to an iWeb photo gallery later. This pic is also from Pete's. BE sure to check out his new book on Havana available at 8 Ball!

Off to the beach to recuperate!

Joe

If that's Pete's bar in the Silverlakish area, thats a great pad. we did the Zombie shoot from Sippin Safari there.
I was sad I could not make it out for this trip, my wife was slated to fly in that evening, then turned out last minute her flight was cancelled, she had to stay another night, and flew in this morning. Will have to join in the next time around. Thanks for posting pictures.

T

Hey OceaOtica, you may be right, if the pic in Tiki Magazine ad for the book is from that shoot... the bar top, wall and shelves look similar... and Pete's Tiki Lounge is in Siverlake/Echo Park. You really should take the next tour!

And WOW! What an AWESOME tour it was!!! Mucho Mahalos to Murph for organizing the event, and Sparklemark and Sparklegem for the incredibly delicious pupus and drinks!

Thanks to all the owners of the tiki bars on the tour for opening your homes to hordes of tikiphiles filing through your domiciles:

(Sparkle)Mark & (Sparkle)Gem Noland: The Bamboo Bar
Darrell Rooney: Darrell's Tiki Bar
Peter Moruzzi & Lauren Le Baron: Pete's Tiki Lounge
Alan Smart & Michael Uhlenkott: The Halekahiki
Kevin (Murph) & Claudia Murphy: The Waikiki Womb

Here's some pix of the event:

Pete's Tiki Lounge:

(without flash)

(with flash)

L to R: Darrell Rooney, Kevin (Murph) Murphy and Peter Moruzzi

Sven (bigbrotiki) Kirsten in his natural habitat

Joe Kona, Carrin (hope I didn't mangle your name!) and Manuel

The Halekahiki:

(without flash)

(also without flash, at least from my camera... I caught someone else's flash, which is why this pic actually came out)

L to R: Michael Uhlenkott & Alan Smart. Note the tiki award for tiki bar participation on the bartop. Murph whipped up these sweet little babies!
Maybe Murph can post a close up?

L to R: Manuel, Peter, Joe Kona

Manuel and me on the tikitourbus!

Joe Kona and his souvenir tour cocomug!

I discovered I'm not very good at low light photograpy, unless you really like looking at blurry squiggles of light! Unfortunately, the pix of the other bars that I took were basically blurry squiggles of light! So far the Bamboo Bar and Darrell's Tiki Bar have not been represented here. I know Joe was snapping away like a madman, so hopefully he'll have some to post soon.

And that Bamboo Bar... that house! When the Sparkles bought it, it came with Witcos already hanging on the walls! WITCOS! Already hanging on the walls!

I highly reccomend to anyone who loves tiki: TAKE THE NEXT TIKI TOUR!

Thanks again Murph!

http://ericoctober.com

[ Edited by: tobunga 2008-08-10 19:03 ]

[ Edited by: tobunga 2008-08-10 19:31 ]

[ Edited by: tobunga 2008-08-20 09:45 ]

Tobunga,
Thats the one, Peter was a gracious host for our shoot. Don't know if you saw much of his backyard, but it is gorgeous as well. Will definitely make it for the next one!

T

Thank you Murph and Claudia for putting this together. What a great job! Thanks to all the Hosts and Hostesses for opening their homes and Tiki Bars to us. Thanks Gem for the food, and Mark for the drinks. The homes and bars were amazing and inspiring. Anyone I forgot to thank, please consider yourselves thanked. Everyone I met and spoke to was great. (I thought about this on the way home, we should have put our T.C. names on our name tags also, easier for me to remember.)It was a resounding success, I'm sure everyone agrees. Can't wait to do it again.

Dar and Pam

(tikiwmn and auntiki)

ps- I will try to post my pics on myspace http://www.myspace.com/darlenelavettre

[ Edited by: Tikiwmn 2009-04-24 14:47 ]

T

tobunga, i did also want to say how groovy your design is. thanks for the mini-poster and pin! i plan to be sporting it (the pin, not the poster) at TO next weekend.

What incredible home tiki bars, gracious hosts and super fun crawlers!! It was an amazing night!! We had so much fun. I can not believe how cool all the home bars were that we visited (and the houses and landscaping, too!!). Everyone was so interesting and fun. My only regret was that I did not have more time to visit with each person. Thank you so much to everyone for making this event happen. It was the best!

I was wondering if anyone might have pictures of our house. We had wanted to take some pictures but were pretty frantic making those Mai Tais right up until the last second and I will start painting again this week; so things will be a bit ladder-y for a while. If so, please pm me.

Mahalos to all!
Gem

[ Edited by: sparklegem 2008-08-11 07:50 ]

It was YOU guys who were amazing, the whole family, thank you, and Murph, for all your hospitality and yummy food and fine libations! I still have to get some pics from Naomi to do a full post, but I doubt I can sum it up any better than the happy writer on this blog!:

http://www.eatingla.blogspot.com/

S

Hey Murph and Claudia-

Thank you so much for hosting such a fantastic event! I had a wonderful time. Everyone was so fun and friendly. Thanks also to the Nolands for all of the delicious food and drink. I can't wait until next years tour!

Alan

(My first Tiki Central post- how exciting!)

This looked like a blast!

I need to find a way to force Tiki on Houstonians :P

JK

More pics with my silly bamboo frames and a touch of Photoshop. I paid a lot of moolah for that program and will milk every dime I can out of it!

H

Thank you all for letting us in to your homes to see some of the most amazing tiki-bars and some of the most unique homes along with good drinks and munchies. Murph, thank you for organizing this whole event and for doing such a great job. I had the best time.

Pages: 1 2 56 replies