Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Monkeyman frame for Tiki Wahine

Pages: 1 8 replies

Tiki Wahine has waited a VERY long time for this. I thank her for her patience and willingness to stick around.

First came the idea of creating vases on the sides of the frame to hold fake flowers. The drum seemed like a natural fit.
The head is real goat skin

then the idea for carving monsterra leaves as a backdrop for the fake flowers on the frame.

Some Real Abalone embellishments for the top and bottom of the frame for an elegant accent. I always enjoy doing the chiseled finish on the flat spots for more of a rustic look

Then the process of selecting some really nice fake orchids to compliment the frame.

since I dont actually have the original artwork in my possession... here is what it looks like empty

and here it is with a superimposed version of the burlap.

has a real "shrine" effect to it..

or the drums make it look like the rocketeers Jet pack.... depending on how you look at it.

F
Fugu posted on Sun, Jul 20, 2008 11:42 PM

Fantastic! Love the drum vases.

V

I love it too, the 3D gives a fantastic effect to the flounder painting.
Very nice job

B

Simply amazingly beautiful !

Very good job.

Benjamin.

B

Yeaaayyy, Monkeyman is Back carving and Posting!
Another Incredible Frame Derek, you always manage to get the Colors Just Right and the little extra details that are So You are just Perfect.
What else have you been up to lately?
Thanks for the bit of Sunshine today.

P

Great work, Derek. As always.
I don't know how you continually come up with more and more wacky ideas that work.
So many great artists here.

thanks everyone... the kind feedback always helps me stay motivated.

Holy cow! That did take a VERY long time. I remember when you were carving the drums with the 5" draw knife...

It's really beautiful, Derek. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Wow that's amazing!! I actually like it better without the fake flowers, it looks like the carved leaves are coming out of the "pots". Really cool!

Pages: 1 8 replies