Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Hawaii coming to the L.A. County Fair!

Pages: 1 5 replies

TS

I love the Home and Garden area of the fair! It always feels like a getaway. And this year it will be themed. Someone call them quick and tell them to offer Mai Tais next door in the beer and wine building! Throw a couple of tikis in the mix too, while you are at it!

http://www.lacountyfair.com/2008/AttractionsCompetitions/homegardens.asp

T

I went to the LA County Fair yesterday in search of tiki. I had thoroughly enjoyed the Treasures of Polynesia theme from three years ago, so I had high hopes for the Flower & Garden Building this year and thought I would Escape to Hawaii.

The gigantic portable waste system in front of the volcano impeded the suspension of disbelief a bit.

Nice outrigger. Here I am thinking that there might be hope.

The entrance way. Good sign. The tikis are bound to be right around the corner.

Cute hut. But where are the tikis? I'm supposed to be in Hawaii, right?

They're not over here with the fish.

Okay. Any minute now...

Oh.

So I went through the indoor garden area, and this was my tiki highlight for the day. He's kinda nifty.

Then I went to the outdoor gardens. Someone had done a tiki bar garden.

For the most part, the only tikis at the fair were of the large-toothed mass produced variety. This guy wasn't too bad.

I still had a fabulous day. And besides, I really only go for the deep fried Twinkies and frozen cheesecake on a stick. :)

I heard that they have deep fried pop tarts and chicken fried bacon now.
I need to get up to the LA fair to see these heart clogging delicacies.

thanks for the pics of the stuff.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

On 2008-09-08 22:15, bigtikidude wrote:
I heard that they have chicken fried bacon now.

Chicken Fried Bacon!?! Stop my beating heart!
Wait, that just did....

Funnel cakes still rule the free world.

Thanks for posting Kate! To tell you the truth...I don't need tiki's to enjoy tropical plants and cool landscaping. Don't get me wrong I love Tiki's but I would never never never go to the LA county fair and expect to find the type of tiki stuff/ Polynesian pop that we have a taste for.
Tropical plants totally ROCK, I find plants to be awesome and inspiring!! Cheap ugly plastic tiki's look out of place in such a beautiful landscape.

were gonna go take the kids , pick up a few plants and the barbeque .

Pages: 1 5 replies