Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Staying/Traveling "in" or "on" Hawaii

Pages: 1 9 replies

Is one phrase grammatically or stylistically correct?

Normally, the phrase "in" would seem appropriate, e.g., I'm traveling in California.
However, I have been told that Hawaii - and all islands - require use of the phrase "on."

W

Hawaii (in this definition) is a state. If you normally say "I'm travelling on Wyoming" then stick with "on", you friends are used to it. Most everyone else would say they were travelling in Wyoming. "I'm travelling in Hawaii and I'm on Maui."

(This message was edited by woofmutt when he realized he used "you're" when he meant to use "your" and as this is a grammar thread...Well, things just had to be set right.)

woofmutt

[ Edited by: woofmutt 2008-07-22 15:55 ]

S

But in a sentence, a typical question would be.."What Island were you on" Not what island were you in..

When referencing travelling to the State of Hawaii it is correct to say I am "in" Hawaii and am "on" ___________ island, unless you are "ON" the Island of Hawai'i and not referring to the state itself.

M

Exactly right, Hina Hinawahine. You are "in" the state of Hawaii, but "on" the island of Oahu, Maui, etc. Wish I was "in" or "on" right now! Either would do!

mimi808 sorry to say I am "ON" O'ahu with the keiki hula competition but will be back "ON" Hawaii. I live Kona.

M

Cool. Enjoy!!

If you're from the islands, it's "ma" Hawai'i.

I'm in Virginia in an Aloha shirt that was designed in Hawaii, was bought on Maui, but was made in Bangladesh.

You say potato, I say Vodka.

Pages: 1 9 replies