Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Hawaiian Eye mug

Pages: 1 39 replies

T

Hey there. Anyone out there have any info on this rumor? Well, not really a rumor, but no details were given. I was at the Tiki Luau event at the Egyptian theater in Hollywood last night and Kevin Kidney was showing clips from "Hawaiian Eye". He was showing examples of the iconic tiki used for the show and mentioned that there will be a HAWAIIAN EYE TIKI MUG!!!!!! coming out "later this year" or something like that. How awesome would that be? anybody know who's making it? I gotta know!!!

BTW, my neighbor gave me a CD of music called Poncie Ponce Sings. It's really good and if you get a chance, you should check it out.

It's not a rumor and it should be done early next year. Kevin mentioned it at Hukilau and it's also on his blog.

I can't wait!

That is a bute!!! Definitely want one of those.

You can pre-order Hawaiian Eye DVDs on Amazon.com

Wouldn't it be cool to be drinking from that beautiful mug while watching the series. :D

[ Edited by: VampiressRN 2008-07-27 19:37 ]

[ Edited by: vampiressrn 2008-07-27 19:49 ]

T

That mug is SWEET...Gotta get me one when it comes out.

T

Vampy...

That second link is to a fraud ripoff site...

DO NOT ORDER FROM THESE people. They operate under different pseudonymns, and have TONS of complaints...

Hawaiian EYE is NOT OUT yet on any DVD, so this is an obvious ripoff.

If it's on Amazon, it's out.

Thanks for the alert...I removed the second link. I am glad I didn't try to order fro there.

You are correct in that the DVDs are not out yet...you can only sign up to be notified by Amazon when they become available.

R

Posted this once upon a time in Tiki Finds - that tiki even made its way to the tie-in book:

i picked this up not too long ago.....

Nice! :D

With lid and straw hole! Hmmmm... decanter size?

D

thedivas,
You have a CD of Poncie Ponce Sings? Is it an LP rip? I didn't know it was on CD!!!!

Holden digs Hawaiian eye, that I know for sure.Maybe he will be involved in the process.
Before my time, but very cool, I have the clip on myspace front page.
Cheers,
TraderBill

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xquHa59aEC0

i'm definately EYEIN' that HAWAIIAN mug.....

......whoever makes these......please don't make this another shiny glaze mug!! this is screamin to be matte textured sand colored finish....

I second that motion Tipsy .

May I third that!

T

this is great news! and the mug looks so awesome. i can't wait. re: the Poncie Ponce CD - my neighbor is in the record business and he gets stuff not very many people have. I'm looking at the cover now and it's the original album art. it has a cool sticker and the font is so stylized i can't be sure what it says. might be Jasrac and then kanji characters. but next to that is says "1992 Manufactured by M&M Enterprises" and the address in Kawasaki, Japan. It also includes the lyrics to all the songs. Way cool!

T

Munktiki always kinda had a look-a-like. Says its only $18. One on Munktiki's cheapest. I should buy both.

BB

On 2008-07-29 19:10, Tipsy McStagger wrote:

i'm definately EYEIN' that HAWAIIAN mug.....

......whoever makes these......please don't make this another shiny glaze mug!! this is screamin to be matte textured sand colored finish....

Kevin has told me that the mug will be a high-end collectible with matte bisque-finish exterior in natural "palm wood color" exactly like the original tiki on the show and it'll be food-safe glazed on the inside for liquid-usability. :)

want...

and i want a poncie ponce mug too.

J

I'd definitely add that mug to my collection!

On 2008-07-30 14:52, teaKEY wrote:

Munktiki always kinda had a look-a-like. Says its only $18. One on Munktiki's cheapest. I should buy both.

i have nothing but respect for munktiki..but that mug totally sucks, looks vaguely like the hawaiian eye mug but not even close and i wouldn't buy it if were the last mug on earth.......go ahead and waste yer money....i'm holdin out for the real deal......"accept no substitutes!!!"

T
teaKEY posted on Sat, Aug 2, 2008 2:45 PM

Its not like there is a record of them claiming it to be a copy of the Hawaiian Eye carving. I think it's a great mug. This mug has been around for years. It's a more simple look of what could be the Hawaaian carving and the Hawaiian carving is a simple look for a tiki.

"Kevin has told me that the mug will be a high-end collectible" these words sound like limited number with extra greenbacks. The Munktiki is actually an very affordable mug and certainly an affordable Munktiki mug.

R

"Highly collectable" sounds like code for a lot of ohana are gonna get screwed. I apologize for the bluntness of that comment but....If it is indeed a good replication of and tribute to the Hawiian Eye signature tiki then you demand will be high. If so just name a reasonable price (cost + profit point) and sell the shit out them.I am a collector but also a tiki enthusiast. If you allow pre-orders at the above price point then make a limited run (plus a few extra) and it becomes a win-win for most of the ohana. At the same time you don't alienate anyone. At the end of the day I am psyched about this project and want a mug as much as the next guy (or gal)m

These comments are meant to help not hurt. If anyone takes issue with what I said just pm me and we can have a constructive discourse.

Matt

[ Edited by: rugbymatt 2008-08-03 08:04 ]

sorry to come off so angry sounding, teakey....i just really want this hawaiian eye mug to turn out as awesome as i think it will.....i think it will be one of the best mugs out there as far as looks......too many times a great mug idea has fallen flat on it's face due to whatever reasons.....

i'm sure the mug you posted is a good deal for some folks ...i still don't like it...even if it's not meant to be like the hawaiian eye tiki....

this new one should rank up there with the ken pleasant big joe tiki mug (which i did get screwed out of cause i didn't order in time to get one) -hopefully i'll get one of these this time around.....

T

"High-end" - Argh!! The two most feared words in the human language! (Okay, maybe just me there)
Thinks I'll just hafta look at my comic book cover & dream...
Or sell the comic & buy the mug, hmmm...

Although I also detest the words "Highly collectible" and "high end" I am still wanting to see a release date (and subsequent price) on this mug.
As a pi myself, this will be a must have for my collection. Hell, I'll have to get atleast two, if not three - one for my collection, one for my office and one for me to actually drink out of!

So...any more recent news on this masterpiece?

Patience. As far as I know, it's a next year's project.
And Kevin has been a proponent for unlimited Tiki mug editions for a long time, but when one sees ones artistically superior designs marred by low budget glazes, it is understandable to seek to fabricate an all around higher quality end product.

Agreed... But I want one...I want one now! ;0)

Now next year seems sooo freakin' far off!

T

Hawaiian Eye Mug?

On 2008-09-26 23:44, bigbrotiki wrote:
Patience. As far as I know, it's a next year's project.
And Kevin has been a proponent for unlimited Tiki mug editions for a long time, but when one sees ones artistically superior designs marred by low budget glazes, it is understandable to seek to fabricate an all around higher quality end product.

Does ANYONE have some current update info on this mug coming into production in 2009 OR 2010? Thortiki

LT

I posted this question to Kevin's Blog recently; no reply yet.

I sent him an email regardig the hawaii eye mug as well a month ago via
face book, no response either.

I want one!

Got an email today from Kevin and here is what he has to say .Very happy to hear back
from him and now I know why it took so long for him to get back with me.

Hi Billy,

Thank you very much for your message, and please forgive my not being able to get back to you sooner. This month I received a LOT of inquiries about the Hawaiian Eye Mug, which isn't too surprising as we all had hoped it would be released by now. I'm happy to say it's still happening, but had to be delayed while Jody and I accepted more freelance work this year. We lost a huge amount of money when one of the major companies we worked for last year filed for bankruptcy and simply refused to pay us for completed services. Unfortunately, out of necessity, we put all smaller personal projects - including the H.E. Mug - on the back burner while we took care of business.

Currently we are in the middle of moving our little studio to a bigger and more permanent space. Once settled, we'll kick final production of the H.E Mug and several other designs into high gear. Hopefully we haven't lost our audience's attention by then! The mugs are a personal project for me, something I had begun on the side in my spare time.

Tiki Kiliki distributed the Hukilau mug, which was completely pre-sold before the edition was ready. I think it came as a surprise to her! She's already asked me to do a new Hukilau piece with Munktiki for 2010.

Thanks again for taking the time to write. I really appreciate it. As soon as I have news of release dates, I'll let out the word. The H.E. mug is a top priority for me.

Best!
Kevin

So there you have it directly from the source.

[ Edited by: 1961surf 2009-10-08 18:28 ]

Thought I would stoke the fire again on this thread .I hopefully will be in touch
with Kevin after Thanksgiving sometime to get an update.In the meantime a friendly
reminder from the past .
Aloha Trader Billy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oCySuqUnZk&videos=TbxLVtFnU2k&playnext_from=TL&playnext=1

Looking forward to it...thanks for the thread bump. Better start saving my spare change now. :wink:

Here's a shot of the mug in the Bum's new remixed book (drool):

Any news from KK on when we can get one?

-Trad'r Bill

Damn, that's just cruel to see it there. Especially given the devil of a time they had getting the book out. WANT!

We got the Hawaiian Eye (home made) series off Amazon. It's really fun with music playing in the Shell Bar. We need one of these mugs. Wendy

Bump Bump Bump thanks Surf1961

Aloha,

Is there any more news about the release of the Hawaiian Eye Mug? I can't wait to get my hands on one of these - if they ever end up making them!

Thanks

Please make them, Wendy

Talked to Kevin Kidney last night at Marie Palooza event.The reason for such a delay is all
the projects he has been working on both foreign and domestic .He assured me this tiki mug
will come to fruition soon.

[ Edited by: 1961surf 2010-05-31 12:10 ]

Pages: 1 39 replies