Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

mexican fan palm

Pages: 1 8 replies

M
miked posted on Mon, Jul 28, 2008 9:04 AM

i dont know if i am saying it correct but how do you debark a mexican palm for tiki carving reasons, i was told to use a razor blade but there is no way its far to thick an tough

V

Use a razor knife and keep going around it , eventually you'll get it. If you have a teenage son, you can put him to work on it, or hire some mexican day labor to help, they can zip that thing down to nothing in no time. Once you get through all the husk,and you've got a trimmed log, you can use a draw knife to remove the skin and shave it off. some guys use electric planers, but I have found the draw knife to work best. Good cardio workout too!

[ Edited by: VonTiki 2008-07-28 09:35 ]

V

I'm on my way to home depot to buy a new planer after seeing that! Thanks Buzz!

M
miked posted on Mon, Jul 28, 2008 8:27 PM

thanks to all that replied i as well am off to home depot hey what about the queen palms in my frot yard how do you de bark them

:lol: Loved the YouTube...never seen that kind of action before...you made it look simple, but I know that's not the case...looking forward to episode 3.

On 2008-07-28 20:27, miked wrote:
thanks to all that replied i as well am off to home depot hey what about the queen palms in my frot yard how do you de bark them

I've never heard a Queen bark.

V

I've heard too many queens bark.

Pages: 1 8 replies