Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

New drink recipe: Tiki Thunder

Pages: 1 2 replies

TIKI THUNDER

1 oz Fresh lime juice
1 oz grapefruit juice
1.5 oz Tamarind nectar (I used Jumex)
.5 oz Passion Fruit syrup ( I used Home-made)
.5 oz Falernum (I used John D. Taylor's Velvet Falernum)
.5 oz brewed coffee (Strong!)
1/2 tsp Pernod (Or 12 drops of Absinthe)
1/4 tsp Chinese Five Spice Powder
1 dash Angostura Bitters
1.5 oz Gold rum (I used Appleton Special)
1.5 oz Dark Rum (I used Gosling Black Seal)

Shake well* with cracked ice and serve in a Tiki mug garnished as desired.

• I used a top blender for about 10 seconds to make sure the five spice powder blended well.

ENJOY!

H

This sounds like an interesting mixture. I just had a question regarding the Chinese 5 spice powder, how did this come in to this recipe, is this item easy to find and when mixed into the drink does it stay grainy, like Cinnamon ?

The five spice powder came to me as I recalled Beachbum Berry's "Shrunken Bum" drink - with the cinnamon . . . and as I was constructing this drink I wanted a "hidden something" to compliment the Lime/Grapefruit/Tamarind combination and it was right there in my pantry so I tried it.
I use a top blender and blend with ice for about 10 seconds. I've not yet noticed any graininess in the drink due to the amount of liquid already there. But, that would probably change if one used more that 1/4 tsp of the powder. Anyway. . . after two or three who cares!
Now, if you want to rough it up a bit . . . add 1/2 to 3/4 oz of 151 Demerara (I use El Dorado) to the mix.

You should be able to find five spice powder in your local supermarket in the "Ethnic" section.

I bet you feel more like you do now now than you did when you came in.

GH

[ Edited by: GentleHangman 2008-08-07 14:46 ]

Pages: 1 2 replies