Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Is there a tiki documentary? One in the works?

Pages: 1 2 72 replies

M

I was just thinking about how great it would be if there was a sort of "Book of Tiki" in movie form. Maybe something with footage of long gone tiki temples? Interviews with Donn, Vic, Steve Crane, or Danny Balsz? A little current urban archaeology? If anyone knows of anything out there I would be fascinated to see it.

This has been gonna come out for...
for...forever.

http://www.armchair-travelling.com/

..and then there is this oldie but a goodie :) :

NOW available here!:

http://www.8ballwebstore.com/tikiarcheologydvd.aspx

This delightful journey into Tikiland consists of two videos produced before THE BOOK OF TIKI was published. But since my research had a major influence on the making of them, they visually complement the book nicely.

Expeditions to sites that are now gone, like THE TIKIS and the Playa Del Rey Polynesian Village Apartments, Interviews, and archival footage of people and places mentioned in the book allow the urban archeologist to revisit and discover the sites and sounds of Polynesia Americana:

PART 1 : "THE AIRCONDITIONED EDEN"-25 minutes-

This 1996 documentary was produced and directed by expatriate American Peter Stuart for BBC’s channel 4. The archival footage features highlights such as Martin Denny’s first live performance on the Dinah Shore show. To actually SEE Augie Colon voice those bird calls is an unforgettable moment (I apologize that my voice over was laid over some of it!). Martin is also interviewed in the film, and we see one of the last interviews with James Michener. -Original footage of the Disneyland Tiki room and the Kon Tiki voyage further document important Tiki moments in history.

PART 2: "HAWAIIAN AIRLINES INFLIGHT VIDEO MAGAZINE" -20 minutes-
This Tiki Tour of Los Angeles was only shown on outbound flights of Hawaiian Airlines in 1999. You get to see my house, my Kon Tiki shirt, lots of Tiki apartments (like the Armet & Davis designed Polynesian Village which is now razed), Bahooka’s Restaurant, and Oceanic Arts in Whittier. Gracious host Miss Hawaii 1998 does not necessarily follow my train of thought, but does a good job stroking the lava rock Vanna White-style.

PLUS: The DON TIKI music video shot at La Mariana's in Waikiki...

I will have a handful available at my TIKI MODERN book signing at the Oasis on Saturday in a week. Sorry, no other way to get them, first come first serve.. Here is the old thread about it:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=620&forum=1&start=0

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2008-11-17 16:59 ]

T

Sven, i have this gem from ages ago. if i bring it to TO, will you sign it?

Sure, I'll sign anything that has my name on it, except being served with a Subpoena.

ARGH!!! Unavailable huh? :(

I have 2 questions. One is for Sven and the other is for anyone with information.

1. Sven - Watching the 3 minute video of you talking about tiki hunting in the early days and Bosko just got my appetite wet and wanting more. If there's a documentary I want to watch about tiki; it would be from you. Is there a particular reason you can't sell your DVD on the internet as opposed to events only?

2. Does anyone have news on the Traveling Armchair documentary? I've been eyeing that site ever since I discovered tiki central and it still hasn't come out. According to the website as of 10/3/08, "the film is in post production and will be out in Sept". Well, it's October and still nothing. Or did they mean 2 Septembers ago?

Thanks for any information.

T

A few of us were treated to a private screening of the first hour or so of the Armchair Traveling Tiki doc at Hukilau this year.

Without hyperbole or undue hype, I have to say that it looks simply amazing.

We were told that the second half is being assembled, and given that quality of what was screened in June, it will be worth the wait.

On 2008-10-03 21:38, tikibars wrote:
A few of us were treated to a private screening of the first hour or so of the Armchair Traveling Tiki doc at Hukilau this year.

Without hyperbole or undue hype, I have to say that it looks simply amazing.

We were told that the second half is being assembled, and given that quality of what was screened in June, it will be worth the wait.

I hope it's as good as Duke Nukem Forever.

On 2008-10-03 10:29, The Monitors wrote:
Sven - Watching the 3 minute video of you talking about tiki hunting in the early days and Bosko just got my appetite wet and wanting more. If there's a documentary I want to watch about tiki; it would be from you. Is there a particular reason you can't sell your DVD on the internet as opposed to events only?

OK, I am starting a list here for my documentary, to see if it is worthwhile for me to have a new batch made. Many folks on TC and in the Tiki community already have it, so let's see if there are enough newcomers who want to purchase one. A warning: It is on DVD, but copied from a VHS master, so it's not exactly "Blue Ray" quality. I am asking 20.- bucks, which includes shipping.

So please post and say: "Me want one" and if I get enough requests, I will set up a payment post here or in Marketplace.

T
twitch posted on Sat, Oct 4, 2008 6:19 AM

Me want one!

TL

Sven, being the great filmmaker you are,I have to say "Me want one too".

B

I have a copy of Svens Movie and it is Well worth whatever it takes to get one. Nostalgia supreme and it would be SO Great if he were to do an update?
Monkeyman has been working on a sortof Tiki Documentary for a few years now and hopefully it will become available soon,,MONKEYMAN???
All Cool stuff, thanks Big Bro.

Me want one!

P

me want one too!

Me want one!

if youll ship to the uk me want one x 2

Me want one!

T

I would like one...

H

Me want two!

... . -.-. .-. . - -- --- .-. ... . -.-. --- -.. . -- . ... ... .- --. .

G

Ben's right, the BBC doc is terrific. I've watched it countless times. If you don't have a copy, take advantage of Sven's offer and snag one.

I want a copy too

I don't want no stinkin' tiki dvd.

yeah, i do.

Me want one.

Me want one too!

(Gawd I feel silly saying it like that!)

I want two.

Thanks everybody, it's shaping up to be a worthwhile amount, keep'em coming, those requests, I will go and look for a good duplication service in the meantime, and will get back to you once I'm ready. Mahalo.

J

Me want one!

Me want one!

Sven,
funny, the other day I was wondering if you were going to do a documentary based on the Book of Tiki. I would like a copy of the dvd, I live in Silverlake so maybe you could just meet me at the 7-11 on the boulevard, or LaMill coffee. My interest in Tiki is constantly invigorated by the intellectual questions I've not been able yet to answer. Were Americans the first to develop, market and package "theming"? Even if we weren't, we definitely took it further than any other culture. Why? Was Don the Beachcomber the original "themer," and did Disney get the notion from Tiki bars? What is the American fascination with escape in a safe, digestible, non-offensive format that Tiki embodied and sold better than any other themes like western restaurants, etc? Are the south seas Islands the closest thing we have to eden, thus explaining the Tiki revival and celebration of its former?

From what I understand, you're in the media business. Maybe questions like these could be answered in a kick-ass documentary. I think it'd be way more interesting than wheelchair bound basketball.

Astronaut the 3rd

yeah, yeah, yeah... I want!

B

me want one

H

me wants one also!

"Me want one"

THANKS!!

B

I want one.

E

Me want one, please!

S
Swanky posted on Wed, Oct 8, 2008 6:22 AM

To echo what JT said.

I saw the first hour of the DVD of Tiki at Hukilau and it was incredible. What Mogambo has done is really wild. Not what you are expecting. It is dizzying. So much information. It reminded me of the last half of David Lynch's Mulholland Drive in ways. It'll make way more sense though! Great visual effects. I can't wait to get the whole thing and it all makes total sense why it is taking so long to edit.

When it comes out, we gotta help him get it to some festivals and get the awards it deserves.

Oh, and Sven, I need one too. Have not seen it in 6 years.

B

I'll take one

E

me want one too!

T

Me want one, too!

TT

Put me down for one.

M

mark me down for one!

Jeez guys, what an overwhelming response! I will get to it asap and let you know how to proceed. Thanks, Sven

T

Yay! I would Like one too!

P
pablus posted on Wed, Oct 8, 2008 2:53 PM

I've got the Sven dvd and really like it for its info and freshness... and I concur that the new Mogambo DVD is going to be spectacular.

Monkeyman has been gathering interviews and such for a documentary about Tiki Central.

There's another guy on here - don't know what his "TC" name is - that does some work with Discovery who is also working on a documentary.

I tried to do a documentary about Hukilau 2004 and had a lot of it shot on a really good format with great cameras and had my crew packed up and ready to shoot the Mai Kai for 2 days... and then there was this little hurricane thing...

If you want to see a little piece of Mogambo's video, here it is set to the Crazed Mugs' song Hurricane Hukilau. You know - in full crappy Youtube resolution.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSfwlYqMBKk

[ Edited by: pablus 2008-10-08 14:55 ]

RT

Me want one!

T

Yes Sven I would like one too!

UT

me want one......can't wait !!!!!!

Pages: 1 2 72 replies