Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

the most elaborate tiki garnish?

Pages: 1 7 replies

The NY Times has an article, of an elaborate cocktail currently served in Australia, called the Tiki. Not only is it served in a pineapple, you also wear eyeshades and listen to an ipod while someone sprays a tropical scent onto your face. Crazy!

(photo by Edwina Pickles for the NY Times)

Read all about it here .....
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/17/fashion/17shake.html?ref=fashion

S

Crazy kiwis! We all know you cut the top off so it won't poke you! Or maybe that's part of the experience...

Tiki Sensory Colada Adapted from Zeta in Sydney, Australia

1 1/2 ounces Appleton Estate Reserve rum
1/3 ounce coconut liqueur
2 ounces unsweetened coconut milk
3 ounces pineapple juice
1/3 ounce simple syrup

Combine the ingredients in a shaker with ice. Shake vigorously, then pour into a hollow pineapple or a tall glass and serve with a straw.

Hmm, 5 2/3 ounces of sweet and 1 1/2 ounces of rum. Sounds... awful of course. Revoke his mixologist license!

[ Edited by: Swanky 2008-08-18 13:00 ]

G

On 2008-08-18 12:55, Swanky wrote:
Crazy kiwis! We all know you cut the top off so it won't poke you!

No!

Or maybe that's part of the experience...

Yes! :)

Hmm, 5 2/3 ounces of sweet and 1 1/2 ounces of rum. Sounds... awful of course.

Uh, yeah. "Awful"-ly sweet. And fatty. Nothing like adding loads of saturated fats to already high calorie alcoholic drinks. Sorry, getting a little anal on the healthy stuff. Pass the crab rangoon please...

G

And honestly, I find the article to be rather sad. Since we apparently no longer have the right atmosphere in which to enjoy our cocktails, we have to synthesize it by shutting off everything around us and immersing ourselves in... ourselves? No thanks. Tiki spaces are all about immersing you in a tropical paradise, but it is meant to be a communal experience, not a singular one.

S

Kiwi's are from New Zealand.Dont get us confused.It's our equivalent to you and Canadians.
I do agree about the drink though.A bit sweet,and basically a Pina Colada.

S

On 2008-08-18 17:45, swizzle wrote:
Kiwi's are from New Zealand.Dont get us confused.It's our equivalent to you and Canadians.
I do agree about the drink though.A bit sweet,and basically a Pina Colada.

VERY sorry. That's worse than calling you Canadians. Canadians didn't eat each other...

Yeah, this would be better if they put you in the "Tropical Paradise" booth that was properly decorated and set the mood...

Bartender another Tahitian Tee Hee for my friend

Girl Drink Drunk

M

On 2008-08-18 15:03, GatorRob wrote:
And honestly, I find the article to be rather sad. Since we apparently no longer have the right atmosphere in which to enjoy our cocktails, we have to synthesize it by shutting off everything around us and immersing ourselves in... ourselves? No thanks. Tiki spaces are all about immersing you in a tropical paradise, but it is meant to be a communal experience, not a singular one.

Absofuckinglutely.

Seriously- try drinking in a tiki bar.

Well said, Rob.

Pages: 1 7 replies