Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

PalaPala's first prototype

Pages: 1 11 replies

P

Hey everyone - here's my first attempt at a reproducible mug of my design. Love to get some feedback from you all - if all goes well I should be able to market these on ebay in the fall. This first one is a human skull, but I plan to use the same pineapple with dog, cat, monkey, and bird skulls. Let me know what you think!
This mug holds 8 oz of your favorite poison, and fits comfortably in the palm of your sweaty little hand...

Mega Mahalos,
PalaPala

Hey Palapala,
Tell us about yourself.
Cool mug, but establish yourself a little here.

A bit about me....

I live in the Seattle area,and we are just getting to know all the Tikinestas in the area. We have attended the last 2 home tiki bar crawls.I have a mug collection on Ooga- Mooga at http://www.ooga-mooga.com/cgi-bin/all/collection.cgi?mode=gallery&user_id=329 .

My husband, Lopaka and I have "the zombie hut tiki lounge" in our basement.you can see pic's of it, and us on http://yako.homeserver.com/tikilounge . I have been learning ceramics, and have begun to do mould making for slip cast mugs. I'm very proud of my first "Death apple" mug, and am looking to refine the glazes and design.

My backround in tiki culture started in L.A. in the early '60's, when my Mom and dad would take us to "The Luau" restaurant in Bevery Hills, California for dinner on a regular basis for a rumaki and pork rib feast.Dad would get his Navy Grog, and I would be ecstatically absorbed with the over the top kitchy Polynesian decor.

A trip on the Matson line cruse ship to Hawaii when I was 9 was such a revelation, that it coloured my vision of what paradise should be to this day .I guess I'm a senior member of the tiki movement, since I was involved at the first go around of the love affair all things Polynesian. My Grandma and grandpa had what they called "the lanai" it was a beautiful room in their house
full of Hawaiian and kitch memorabilia. great stuff!so, my family tradition continues with me.

Is there anything else you would like to know?

Nice work, Palapala! Welcome to Tiki Central.

That mug is awesome! I would totally buy one! Put me on the list!

T

That's a great little mug, and thanks for the intro! I'm wondering though, can you drink out of it without poking yourself in the eye? :D

R

You "could" use a straw :) Perhaps one of those yerba mate metal straws...

P

you definitely need a straw with this mug, unless you have passed an advanced lesson of "How to drink from uneven vessels while inebriated!
When I sell them on e-bay, I plan to include a reusable straw of some kind, if I can find one to do the job.

just did a search on re-usable straws.
there are free trade bamboo ones, really cool, but they say that you have to soak them in vinegar and boil them after every use...too much trouble don't you think...also, there are stainless steel bendies, dishwasher safe.then there are reusable polycarbonate plastic..clear with colored dots..what do you all think would work?

Hmmmm, maybe provide a bamboo one for display purposes and a plastic one for imbibing :)

What's wrong with just using a plastic one? ( I'm going to catch it on this one, I just know it :) )

want cute mug now.

Pages: 1 11 replies