Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

ShumiTiki - NEW TIKI bookshelves on page 2!

Pages: 1 18 replies

Hey, everyone- I've been following these forums for a while, and only now realized that I've yet to post anything of my own! I've been working on a retro tiki theme for my living room over the past few weeks, something I'm sure you can all relate to, and into about my third coating of wood stain I realized I could post it here, along with some of my character design and illustration work. So, yes- enjoy!

First off, some first draft designs for Pele and Poliahu; Pele's going to be changed a lot, but I'm posting her anyway:

Next a Papua New Guinea-inspired character, definitely drawing from some tiki proportions and aesthetics:

Finally, for my living room, some cardboard and harpie tikis made from furniture boxes:

...and a swithplate for my lights which I woodburned and stained myself:

I want to do tons more tiki work in the future, so here's hoping this is the first of many art dumps! :D
Here's my site if you want to see more of my work, though not entirely tiki: http://www.shoomlah.com
-Claire/Shumi

[ Edited by: Shoom'lah 2008-09-18 00:26 ]

Crud, forgot this one:

...and this one:

Gads, I've done more than I thought.
-C

[ Edited by: Shoom'lah 2008-09-05 00:11 ]

G
GROG posted on Fri, Sep 5, 2008 12:23 AM

Checked out your website. Very nice stuff. Mad skills. GROG like.

T

I agree with Grog here. Not that I couldn't. Your stuff is amazing. Sure beats the hell out of mine. I rely too much on rendering and Tons of details in my own work, and yours seems to Suggest the details...something I can't do.

Awesome, can't wait to see more.

Ditto...you really have a diverse body of work....very talented!!!

Glad to see you post some work here. I have fav'ed several of your illos at deviantart. Love the Trio.

B

Aloha and wow! I really like your Pele! the way you made the hair (at least to me) look like it could be a volcano (that or I am hungover) is really fantastic! The tattoos are great too!

Big aloha!

Welcome to TC Shoom'lah. Great work - I went snorkling in Hawaii and I didn't see nutin' like this!

Anything worth doing, is worth doing to the point of wretched excess.
edited for spelling

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2008-09-05 10:14 ]

very very VERY rad stuff, man!

TT

Very nice work, I see a definate Lilo & Stitch style

BT

I love it all but I think I like the cardboard Tikis best.

K
Kahu posted on Sat, Sep 6, 2008 12:53 AM

It is all great!

Keep coming back with more please.

By the way. Any thought to doing prints?

S

On 2008-09-06 00:53, Kahu wrote:
It is all great!

Keep coming back with more please.

By the way. Any thought to doing prints?

All of these are available as prints!
-C

I've sold ceramic tile coasters on Cafepress before and have been extremely impressed with the quality of the final product, so I was thinking of extending my tiles into the tiki realm... Not to mention the fact that it means I'd have tiles to match my decor!

Anywho, here's the first of at least four designs- I wanted to gauge whether or not people would be interested in such things if reasonably priced. And, I do promise, at least one of them will have a pin-up girl. :D

-C

P
Paipo posted on Wed, Sep 17, 2008 2:46 AM

Great stuff - I also loved the Mesoamerican characters and (I think?) Pacific Northwest inspired animals on your site too...and the tapirs!

Excellent stuff...yep, I would be interested.

Bought the Ikea Billy bookcases with Morebo glass doors and painted some media tikis for my living room- one TV Tiki, and, of course, one X box Tiki:

...So much fun to do. :D
-C

Damn Girl, those are awesome as Hell. I've just gotta see more.

Those are GREAT! Did you backpaint the glass doors or are those cardboard like the ones on page 1?

Regarding the tile, I would definitely be interested as well! My mind is swirling with the possibilities of things I could build with tiki tile :)

Pages: 1 18 replies