Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Any opinions on dark El Dorado? on gold Angustura?

Pages: 1 5 replies

N
nuKKe posted on Fri, Sep 5, 2008 12:42 PM

A friend found bottles of white El Dorado demarera rum at the wine shop so we rushed to buy one, only to hear from Mr. Kick_the_Reverb that it's not the demarera rum we're after.
Then a couple of days ago we spotted dark El Dorado rum at the supermarket. Plain dark, no 15-year, no nothing. It also didn't cost much but our home bar is overstocked with dusting bottles of stuff we never use so I figured I'd ask first whether it's the demarera rum we need for Grog-Log demarera rum-based cocktails.
Lemon Hart 151 is unavailable here. You'll generally find "the famous brands that everybody knows [i.e Captain Morgan, Bacardi and Negrita] and Havana Club, cos that's the rums Israelis know and are willing to buy", as a store manager said.

We also spotted gold Angostura rum, 7 years. Costs about $50 here. Tried to look for reviewes but found ones for aged Angostura (also sphoradically availabe but beyond our budget) and for ones which labels are dufferent than those I saw here. Here's a link with a picture of the bottle, maybe bottling is different for markting purpose? http://www.boozbar.co.il/image/users/66686/detail/big/877686.jpg

thanks

S
Swanky posted on Fri, Sep 5, 2008 1:43 PM

Have tried the Angostura and it was nothing great. Don't spend extra on it.

El Dorado 12 year is a near substitute for Lemon Hart. I can't say for what you have. But I am sure it will be closer than anything else you have. It is one of the two Demerara brands used most often in troical cocktails.

N
nuKKe posted on Sat, Sep 6, 2008 2:22 AM

On 2008-09-05 13:43, Swanky wrote:
Have tried the Angostura and it was nothing great. Don't spend extra on it.

Thanks, Swanky. Are you talking about Angostura in general or the simple ones? Sinister thoughts about spending the holiday bonus on aged rum are creeping to my mind...

The Dark El Dorado you mention is pretty tasty. Not as rich in flavor as the aged ones, but makes for a really good drink. I wouldn't, however, recommend taking it straight as the overall flavor is a bit flat.

For the Angostura gold, same recommendation.... makes for some really tasty cocktails, but not enough flavor to enjoy straight.

If we can figure out a shipping arrangement I would be happy to trade you bottles of El Dorado 12 or 15 for bottles of Havana Club.

I picked up a bottle of 5-year-old El Dorado at a Total Wine and More shop the other day. It was the ONLY Demerara rum I ever saw for sale in the Sacramento area. It has a nice smoky taste but is definitely a mixer.

On 2008-09-09 20:10, Shaun of theTiki wrote:
I picked up a bottle of 5-year-old El Dorado at a Total Wine and More shop the other day. It was the ONLY Demerara rum I ever saw for sale in the Sacramento area. It has a nice smoky taste but is definitely a mixer.

Corti Brothers in East Sacramento sells Lemon Hart Demerara. Both the high and low octane varieties.

Pages: 1 5 replies