Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Mai Kai - Favorite Drink?

Pages: 1 2 78 replies

I guess I'm simple...I like the plain ol Mara Amu. I got it my first visit for the mug, and it's still my favorite drink. The Zombie and Barrel of Rum are way up there, though!

Barrel of Rum

I suppose it's time for a bunch of Post-Hukilau musings:

The wife and I revisited more than a dozen classic cocktails, some multiple times, over the course of three nights at the Mai-Kai and had the opportunity to order many of them from the preferred back bar, which tends to have the more experienced mixologists. (That's why sometimes the drinks seem better when you're at a dinner table. Not always, but on average ...). Our research yielded two stand-out drinks that I'll probably elevate to higher positions on my list: the Cobra Kiss (pictured below at left with the Special Reserve Daiquiri) and the Deep-Sea Diver. Both are very complex, flavor-packed medium drinks that never failed to deliver.

Chip, I made it a point to revisit both the Derby Daiquiri and Floridita Daiquiri and I'm afraid both continued to fail to wow me. Fine drinks, no doubt. Spectacular, no. However, I was able to make a Hukilau hook-up and landed some silver and gold Havana Club rum from Cuba, which both of the above were most likely originally made with. I suspect they use Bacardi now. My first home experiment with the Floridida Hemmingway recipe from Grog Log yielded some nice results using the 7-year gold, as suggested by Jeff Berry. Further experimentation with the Havana Club is definitely on the agenda. Many of the early Mai-Kai recipes were most likely made with this fine rum, before the embargo.

arriano: The Yeoman's Grog has been somewhat of a disappointment lately and that's the one drink I may lower on my list. I too was under the impression that it was based on the Colonial Grog but I just discovered at Hukilau from a reliable source that it's actually a descendant of Don Beach's Navy Grog (see Beachbum Berry's Grog Log). The Colonial Grog was actually a forerunner to the Samoan Grog, which is on the Mai-Kai's mild menu. Also a very good drink but not as strong as the Navy/Yeoman's.

Of course, most of the more complex Mai-Kai drinks are almost uncrackable. Only a few legitimate recipes are available. Most of what we have to go on are the Donn Beach originals that have been published. However, as documented in Beachbum Berry's Sippin' Safari, original Mai-Kai mixoligist Mariano Lucudine renamed and reformulated those classics into what is still served today using the same secret coding, in-house spices, syrups and secret ingredients that not even the people making the drinks can identify for sure.

Ah, the mystery and magic of the Mai-Kai ...

I'm gonna say the Mara Amu...anything that comes in a tiki mug you can take home with you is fine by me!

For the sake of choosing a deliciously powerful grog, though...I would probably say a Shrunken Skull.

T

Barrell O' Rum, hands down

A

And, finally, here's my list of Beachcomber/Mai-Kai drinks that I've yet to find a recipe for. Cocktail sleuths, this is your cue:

• Hot Buttered Rum
  • Martinique Milk Punch
  • Special Reserve Daiquiri
  • Colonial Grog (Yeoman's Grog)
  • Don's Swizzle (Mai-Kai Swizzle)

Perhaps this is the recipe for the Martinique Milk Punch?

http://www.saveur.com/article/Wine-and-Drink/Martinique-Milk-Punch

Since it's from at 1949 book, seems certainly plausible.

Thanks arriano for the recipe. We'll certainly put it to the test. That drink was probably standard on many cocktail menus of the era. What's cool is that The Mai-Kai is like a time capsule and you're able to almost transport yourself back just by walking in the door.

This also gives me the opportunity to plug my new blog, which features an expanded version of the list that was first posted on this thread:
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/mai-kai-cocktail-guide/

I'm in the process of reviewing every drink on the menu (plus a few that aren't), one per week through next June. Each review will feature photos, drink history, trivia and recipes. Comments welcome.

Okole maluna!

S

A bump up here for Jim's blog. His last post on the Rum Julep got me to make it last weekend and it was a crowd favorite. It goes into the rotation as a top contender. Never tried it at the Mai-Kai, but I will next time! Another great DtB drink preserved for you to try that likely is not served anywhere else on the planet Earth, and has been being made there since 1956 and probably Mariano was making it at Don's back to 1940... You just can't touch that legacy.

P

My new favorite is the Shrunken Skull but the 151 swizzle is a VERY close second.

Went for the 1st time in September and was enormously impressed. Of the three I had, I'd place them in this order:

1- Black Magic
2- Yeoman's Grog
3- Barrel O' Rum

Everything was so much better than I expected. Why does it have to be SO far away? :(

We're now at 28 reviews down, 24 to go. Just posted: the Yeoman's Grog. Take the Navy Grog (1941 Don the Beachomber version) and add pimento dram, and you'll come very close.
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2011/12/12/mai-kai-cocktail-review-even-landlubbers-can-appreciate-a-strong-ration-of-yeomans-grog/

Also recently added, our theory of Zombie evolution, a tribute recipe and why this is our No. 1 drink:
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2011/11/01/mai-kai-cocktail-review-the-theory-of-evolution-of-the-zombie/

Coming soon: An exclusive behind the scenes tour of The Mai-Kai's bars with manager Kern Mattei. Check out our interview with Kern here:
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2011/11/12/take-5-mai-kai-general-manager-kern-mattei/

Okole maluna!

Threads like this are why I love Tiki Central! I'm planning a trip to the Mai-Kai and am all the more excited from reading the enthusiasm for really good cocktails!

J

I realize I may be a bit of a contrarian, but I especially like the Shark Bite.

C

My favorite drink at the MaiKai is whatever drink is in my hand.

Tonight that was a few Rum Barrels & they were mighty tasty.

After 52 weeks, 52 Mai-Kai cocktail reviews and more than 50 authentic and "tribute" recipes later, The Atomic Grog's Okole Maluna Society is now complete:
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/mai-kai-cocktail-guide/

You can now post your own ratings on every drink plus leave comments. Also be sure to check out the many special features like our back bar tour, updates on all the rejuvenated Lemon Hart cocktails, an ancestry guide that lists the 30 classic Don the Beachcomber drinks still served at The Mai-Kai, and much more.

FYI, the Top 10 as it now stands is:

1 - Zombie (strong)
2 - Shark Bite (medium)
3 - 151 Swizzle (strong)
4 - Special Planters Punch (strong)
5 - Barrel O' Rum (strong)
6 - Sidewinder's Fang (strong), Mystery Drink (tie)
7 - Jet Pilot (strong)
8 - Cobra Kiss (medium)
9- Rum Julep (medium)
10 - Mutiny (strong)

KD

Great work! Looking forward to returning to the Mai Kai first time in 6 years this fall. All the drink recipes I've tried at home so far have been winners. Tempted to try the top ten drinks I haven't had yet, as I've never strayed from the "strong" part of the menu.

Shark Bite, is my favorite, but I have yet to experience one I don't like.

So far I have had:
Hukilau
Shark Bite
SOS
Jet Pilot
Hidden Pearl
Cobra Kiss
151 Swizzle (With Lemon Hart!)

The Jet Pilot, Mystery Bowl & Black Magic stick out in my mind from my left visit, but I was pretty buzzed by the time that I left. I'm going back tomorrow night and I'm going tpo work my way through as many of them as possible!

My advice to everyone now is you've got to sample the drinks that have returned to using Lemon Hart: Zombie, 151 Swizzle, Special Planters Punch, Jet Pilot, Shrunken Skull, Yeoman’s Grog and Oh So Deadly.
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2012/05/08/rums-of-the-mai-kai-legendary-lemon-hart-returns-to-the-promised-land/

There are four more to be announced that we'll be sampling Saturday at the Mai-Kai Mixer.
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2012/05/08/mai-kai-mixer-on-june-9-serves-up-cocktail-flights-live-music-and-dj-dance-party/

Craig (or anyone else): I can share that list with you if you send me an e-mail or PM.

Kill Devil: There are some great drinks on the medium section of the menu. Don't be afraid to stray from the strong side.

Okole maluna!

New on the blog, a handy index of all 62 recipes:

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/mai-kai-cocktail-guide/mai-kai-cocktail-recipes/

Quickly find a drink from the lists, organized by authentic recipes, ancstor recipes and tribute recipes.

Okole maluna!

The Mai-Kai Mixer was a big success and we learned even more about the cocktails. Here's a full recap of the flights ...

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2012/06/16/cocktail-flights-soar-at-mai-kai-mixer-reveal-revolutionary-use-of-rums/

TT

Jet Pilot.......I was at the Mai Kai tonight and had a Jet Pilot and a Zombie. The Jet Pilot was great, but I hate to say I was disappointed in the Zombie. The grapefruit juice was overpowering and not similar to the amount that would be in a Don's mix at all. Don't get me wrong I love the Mai Kai, but I will stick with Jet Pilots for now. It could have just been an off night, but I have had many Zombies there and this one I didn't even finish. Looking forward to the Hukilau....

We enjoyed some great "lost cocktails" from the 1956 menu at The Hukilau this year ...

HT

On 2013-06-10 22:21, Hurricane Hayward wrote:
We enjoyed some great "lost cocktails" from the 1956 menu at The Hukilau this year ...

I am very sad I didn't get to try any. Stopped by on the way to the airport, didn't have time. I hope they were fantastic. That should be a yearly thing for The Hukilau. What a fantastic idea.

As far as my favorite, I became partial to the Jet Pilot, Special Planter's Punch, and Grandfather Barrel while I was there. Last time I was there it was Zombie and Black Magic.

The wife and I had a chance to try a fair number of Mai-Kai cocktails that we had not yet gotten around to at this year’s Hukilau. For me the standout among those was the K.O. Cooler. I’ve had my fair share of homespun Q.B. Coolers but it’s not a cocktail that ever gets into heavy home rotation. Mai-Kais version was stellar, and probably near the top of my favorite list. The Zula was another one we hadn’t had yet that I thought was really good and knocked the Shark Bite out of the Top 10. All three of Sunday’s Lost Cocktails were quite excellent as well.

My Top 10 Mai-Kai list thus far (still probably only 75% through the menu) probably stacks up something like this:

Jet Pilot
Deep Sea Diver
Mutiny
K.O. Cooler
Barrel O Rum
Special Reserve Daiquiri (my wife’s hands-down favorite)
Black Magic
Zombie
Yeoman’s Grog
Zula

Interesting fun facts, provided by Mai-Kai manager Kern Mattei ...

The Top 5 most popular drinks served in The Molokai bar during the week of The Hukilau:

1. Barrel O' Rum (strong)
  2. Mai Tai (strong)
  3. Black Magic (strong)
  4. Jet Pilot (strong)
  5. Mara-Amu (medium)

And the most popular "lost cocktails" from Sunday's party:

1. Last Rites (strong)
  2. Demerara Float (medium)
  3. Impatient Virgin (mild)

Last Rites: "Lethal - Get your affairs in order."

HT

That's really cool to know that, Jim. I do believe I had all of the most popular drinks at some point.

On Saturday night, I took some friends of ours on a journey of cocktails from the Mai Kai, with a little help from The Atomic Grog Blog.

First, all of the syrups and liqueurs that I had to make for the drinks:

Our first drink of the night was Planter's Punch:

I'm a fan of the Special Planters Punch myself, so I snuck in some premium rums. It was delicious.

Second drink was the Mara-Amu. Served in the approrpiate glassware for my friends, and in Eekum Bookum mugs that we got at Hukilau:

Our third drink was the Hidden Pearl (tribute recipe). I didn't have the time, or wherewithal to do a proper ice shell, so this one's a shot in the blender.

And our last drink of the night, served in appropriate vessels, was The Black Magic. The womenfolk were too boozy at that point to take more than a sip of this, which meant that we had to finish their drink. About half way through my second black magic (which was actually my 6th drink of the night) I started to see double. I knew it was time to go to bed at that point. They're served in wonderful Hukilau snifters. (Thanks for bringing them back!)

Boy, what an evening!

Wow, looks like a great time. Glad to be of assistance.

I'm thinking of adding another resource to the blog that could come in handy: A guide to what ingredients are needed to make all The Mai-Kai cocktails, similar to the Beachbum Berry books. Then you can be ready at a moment's notice to make any of them. I think I've finally come to the end of the line for recipes. The only one not listed is the Mai-Kai Cappuccino, but that's just coffee and rum.

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/mai-kai-cocktail-guide/mai-kai-cocktail-recipes/

I was doing that in my head as I was picking out cocktails. Those four cocktails require a minimum of ingredients. Orange, lime, white grapefruit, dark jamaican rum, gold jamaican rum, silver puerto rican rum, pimento dram, honey mix, simple syrup, falernum. I believe. That's from memory.

Anyway, the recipes and tributes are GREATLY appreciated. I guess the only work you have left to do is track down old bartenders Beachbum style and get them to spill their guts on record.

EDIT: Of course, I kid. Love The Atomic Grog. You've done a fantastic job.

[ Edited by: Hale Tiki 2013-06-17 11:48 ]

One more tribute recipe has been posted ...

Check out the story behind the Impatient Virgin:
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2012/09/28/lost-cocktails-of-the-mai-kai-uncovering-the-influential-impatient-virgin/

On 2013-06-25 00:06, Hurricane Hayward wrote:
One more tribute recipe has been posted ...

Check out the story behind the Impatient Virgin:
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2012/09/28/lost-cocktails-of-the-mai-kai-uncovering-the-influential-impatient-virgin/

Thanks Hurricane! I think I'll give the new Tribute a spin tonight!

Pages: 1 2 78 replies