Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Catalina Island Mystery A Frame Sighting

Pages: 1 11 replies

M

I was on Catalina Island this weekend and we rented a golf cart and cruised up the hill by the country club on the the road that reads scenic route and as we were driving i looked down into this valley below where i believe it was a condo complex and there was this massive A frame structure that looked very old school yet in good condition. The trees were interfering with my full view of it, and like a kook i didnt take a picture of it. I assumed there would be some info on T.C. about it but did a search and found nothing. Anyone got any pearls on this?

Anyone? Anyone?

I don't know if this is it or not.

Quote:
Where is it?
KHYC's Little Fisherman Cove is an open anchorage area of Catalina Island's Isthmus Cove half of Two Harbors (Catalina Harbor on the other side of the Island being the other half).

From Palos Verdes Point it is a course of Magnetic South (180°) to Two Harbors. This allows for the North-to-South current

As you pass between Ship and Bird Rocks you will see the "downtown" of Two Harbors consisting of buildings and a pier. To the left (port for sailors) side of the main cove will be found "Little Fisherman Cove," and further to the left will be found "Big Fisherman Cove" (recognizable by the Spanish style buildings of the Marine Laboratory). Little Fisherman Cove is also just to the left of the buoy system of Two Harbors.

The redwood colored "A" frame building on the fine sandy beach of the Cove easily spots KHYC's facilities. From a yacht you can also see the dark colored "deadmen" posts for stern tying Tahiti Style.

No Unga...it's above Avalon....I have a picture of the roof somewhere. Will have to search.

Unga thanks for the picture and info, but ya Bongo is correct the A frame i saw was on the Avalon side. I sort of have a fascination and admiration for A frame buildings and the fact that i spotted that one in a sort of remote area on Catalina Island really peaked my interest. Bongo looking forward to your visual contribution.

[ Edited by: Mongoloid 2008-09-11 10:56 ]

I'd be interested in a little more info. I lived on the island for 8 years, but that was a long while ago, and am having trouble pinpointing what you may have seen. I still have family and friends there, so could send them on a hunt if we had more info.

Bongo im pretty sure you nailed it. The angle when i saw it was looking more towards the inside of the structure not as much from the side, but it looks as if thats it. Do you have any more info on what its used for and what the exact location is?

It's the Catalina Canyon Resort.
http://catalina-canyon-resort.pacificahost.com/

Yee Haw...I am sure we have a winner. :wink: 12341234 welcome to TC. Looks like a neat place to stay, thanks for the link.

:wink: - glad i can be of service

Mahalo 12341234, im very impressed that you knew where i was talking about even with my vague description of where i saw it. This resort looks pretty nice and im sure has a pretty secluded feel since its kinda tucked back in that valley. I can sleep at night now knowing this Hardy Boy mystery has been solved.

Aloha nui loa

Pages: 1 11 replies