Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

Travelling to Portland OR around Hallowen help

Pages: 1 16 replies

I am looking to make a solo personal journey to the everlovin west. I am really thinkin about the Portland area around halloween. Does anyone have suggestions on where to stay, drink, sightsee, etc. Any input would be welcomed and appreciated.

RB

First off, hopefully you'll get lucky on the weather and it won't be gray and raining! For tiki drinking, hit Thatch for drinks and decor, and the Alibi for the decor. Doug Fir is a good place to stay. Depending on your interests, there are lots of things to see and do in the area.

hey,

my Cramps tribute band is playing on October 30th (Ash St. Saloon), October 31st (House Party in N. Portland) and November 1st (Twighlight Cafe, 2 different sets). If you find yourself hankering for some cramps songs, come check i out.

Noland

I have not make it to Thatch, but LOVE the Alabi. Be sure to drive down Interstate Avenue (the street that the Alabi is on) to check out the neon and watch for the little blue monkey! Although not tikified, my favorites are The Original (the original, Original) Pancake House (on Barbur) and Escape from New York Pizza (on NW 23rd).

B

church of elvis and voodoo donuts.

oh damn, I saw a segment about that Voodoo donuts place,
then forgot about it when I was there last year.
damn damn damn.
;-(

Jeff(bigtikidude)

D

the velvet museum

and eat across the street at The Screen Door. Praline Bacon Waffles, nuff said.

the church of elvis, sadly is no longer open...and when at voodoo donut, get the bacon maple bar! it's exactly how it sounds, 2 strips of bacon on a maple bar. delicious!

B

I heard the church of elvis is back...

On 2008-10-06 18:56, BettyBleu wrote:
I heard the church of elvis is back...

Really??!?!!?! Where is their new location? I gotta go!

Here's the website with the address. It is pretty close to VooDoo Doughnut.
http://www.24hourchurchofelvis.com/

On 2008-10-06 22:07, BettyBleu wrote:
Here's the website with the address. It is pretty close to VooDoo Doughnut.
http://www.24hourchurchofelvis.com/

holy crap! how did i miss that? thanks BettyBleu! also, Voodoo has another location across the river @ 13th and Couch. the building is way cooler than the one downtown and there's never a line. oh, and they have a jukebox and pinball!

Noland

Thatch is a must. As is the Alibi, the Palms Motor Hotel sign, Voodoo doughnuts, and the Velveteria. I've been to all soooo many times and keep going back more for. As for the 24 hour church of Elvis, I have been waiting and waiting for it to re-open. They have the door from the old one at the Morrison Hotel. Unfortunately, the weddings are not available at this time. Guess I will have to recant the email I just sent to Drew saying that we are getting married... Do go check out the 24 hour Church of Elvis though, it's been closed for 4 years.

I cruised by the Church of Elvis alleged new location a few weekends ago on a late nite adventure to lay my lips around a C&B donut and it is indeed not open....yet. The rumors were only that. It is merely an empty storefront - but the outdoor signage promises a reopening. Promises, promises. (sigh)

Yeah, Drew and I drove by it last night and all we saw was the sign. It will be interesting to see if it really happens or not.

Wow all the spots you guys gave me were out of sight! The maple bacon donut was heavenly(but with every bite my heart slowed down). The Alibi was simply out of a dream. Also Thatch was fantastic. The Church of Elvis had a glimmer of hope but alas is not open. Took a drive up the Columbia Gorge. Does anyone have a recipe for the kamonawanaleya drink from Alibi. Will post pictures if anyone wants.
Thanks again, and if anyone knows of great places near Richmond, VA, hook a brotha up.
BHTiki-out

i'm gld you liked the bacon maple bar! that thing has topped off many a drunken bike ride for me. and has also induced quite a few sugary hangovers.

Pages: 1 16 replies