Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tiki Carving class in San Pedro CA - October 19

Pages: 1 22 replies

Aloha!

It's time for another tiki carving class down at Cabrillo Marine Aquarium! Here's the scoop:

**Mr. D's Tiki Carving (grades 5 through adult)

Sunday October 19 from 10am - 1:00pm
Learn about the Polynesian cultural history and significance of the tiki and then carve your own "ku" (God of Strength) from palm wood. Class fee includes a set of chisels, mallet and a T-shirt. No carving experience required. Fee: $59 ($53 CMA Friends members). Pre-registration is required as carving space is limited. **

Here's a link to sign up: http://www.cabrilloaq.org/register.html
or just call the aquarium at 310 548 7562 and sign up! I'd love to see you down here!

We've had quite a few TCer's come down and have some fun letting the wood chips fly!

Here's some pictures of years past:

Too far for me, but it looks like a good time. I hope you get this sucker filled up.
Cheers.

Thats pretty cool.

and though its not super close
I saw that the Smokin Menahunes are playing later that afternoon at 4pm.
at:
The Smokin Menehunes

October, 19 2008 at Buster’s Beach House
168 N. Marina Dr, Long Beach, 90803
Cost :free
Awesome food and drinks. Right on the marina.

for those that want to do a double whammy of events.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I have been to polynesiacs carving class and I had a blast!! I highly recomend going if you want to try carving. Polynesiac is such a cool and patient dude. I might even sign up but I need to wait and see what my job has in store for me.

Mahalo for the props, my friends! This class is a lot of fun!!! AND it's the first year we're giving special carving t-shirts to every participant designed by ME! WOOPIE!!!!!

So come on down (or up, or over) to 'Pedro, take the carving class, then head over and see the Smokin' M's play!!! Dem boys ROCK! (in a hawaiian kinda way)

you know you wanna.....so just sign up already!!!!

NEWS FLASH

THIS JUST IN: Carver extraordinaire (and cabrillo carving alum) MIEKO will be coming up to lend a hand!!!! Check out her thread and leave lots of positive vibes, 'cause she does some really FINE work!

She'll be at the class passing on her knowledge as well!!!

check out her website!: http://tropicaldesignsbymieko.com/

M
mieko posted on Mon, Oct 6, 2008 12:58 PM

Thanks Polynesiac!!

I'm really excited to help out and am really looking forward to the class!

Anyone who has ever thought that they might want to carve, or ever thought that it would be hard to learn should come out to this class! Polynesiac is a GREAT teacher!!!

We're gonna have a great time!

Mieko

I'm coming and maybe bringing a friend or two!

On 2008-10-14 09:54, Kiki von Tiki wrote:
I'm coming and maybe bringing a friend or two!

AWESOME!!! See you there!!!!!

space is filling up - it's THIS SUNDAY (SUNday, Sunday)

Be sure to call and sign up, because it is sure to fill up, and space is limited!!!!!

It's going to be heaps o' fun at the aquarium - then be sure to see the smokin' M's after!

AND (if anyone cares) I'll be doing a carving demo after the class from 2-3pm. Not quite as exciting as the class itself, but still fun!!!!

Hey Polynesiac~ I reserved my spot in class! I can't vouch for my 2 friends, they're on their own, so we'll see if they show. But I will see you Sunday. ~KvT

On 2008-10-16 16:40, Kiki von Tiki wrote:
Hey Polynesiac~ I reserved my spot in class! I can't vouch for my 2 friends, they're on their own, so we'll see if they show. But I will see you Sunday. ~KvT

Well, hopefully your friends signed up earlier today because we are FILLED UP!!!!

I look forward to seeing you on Sunday Kiki!

ya'll can still come down and enjoy the day at the beach and all the fun Sea Fair activities (including PIRATES -ARRR!!!!), then come over and bug me while I do a carving demo from 2-3pm. I'd love to see you at the aquarium!!!!! don't be afraid to introduce yourselves!!!!

M
mieko posted on Sun, Oct 19, 2008 8:46 PM

Wow - what a day! I hope some of today's brand new amazing carvers join in and put up pictures of their stuff! I forgot to bring a camera, but the tikis that were made today were great!

Thanks again Polynesiac for letting me help out, I had a great time! And the baby octopi in the aquarium nursery were incredible!

Hey Polynesiac and Meiko! I had a fabulous time at the class today, wow! Super cool! You were both great teachers and I just LOVE my tiki! He made an appearance at Busters, too. I just had to show off a little :wink:. Mahalo for a really great day.

half way through class

here he is on my patio

I love my tiki!

Way to go KVT!!

Thanks, Sperm Whale! :) It's def not finished yet, but I got pretty far on it.

M
mieko posted on Mon, Oct 20, 2008 3:34 PM

Thanks for sharing the pictures! The detail in the eyes was excellent, but is hard to see in the pictures. You could play around with different stains or some selective burning and sanding to really get them to pop out. :)

So glad you made it!

GOOD TIMES HAD BY ALL!!!!!!!

Thanks for making it another great day of carving down at cabrillo

Mieko - thank you for making the trek up from San Diego to lend your carving expertise!!! I had a blast hanging and teaching with you! (e-gawds! she's got some great carving skills!)

KVT - GREAT pictures - thank you for posting them and spreading the tiki carving love! First tiki?!?!?! MY BUTT! He really turned out great and will only get better when you finish him up!

Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures, but if any surface from our photographer I'll post them. We had a total of 12 carvers ranging from a 5th grader and his middle school age brother to the director of the aquarium! And I have to say, once we got those logs shaved, the tikis that resulted were pretty amazing!

I think we may have some new tiki carvers lurking around the site.... :)

Spermy - we missed you this time around, we'll carve again soon!!!!

Thanks Mieko, yeah - can't see the details too well in the pic because it was dark by the time I got to it. He sat in the Longboard bar listening to the Smokin Menahunes for a while. Already a partier! I met PolyPop there and he took a picture of my tiki too, who know where those pics will turn up? :wink:
I didn't take too many pics during class because I was really into the carving. But would love to see any from your photographer if they surface. Hey Polynesiac ~ I was wondering about those carving stands you had @ the class. Where can I get one? I want to set up in my garage so I can finish up my Hawaiian. Got some ideas for his headress, need to smooth him out, and give him some details. I've been bitten by the tiki bug, I hope it's not fatal!

[ Edited by: Kiki von Tiki 2008-10-21 11:59 ]

KVT - The carving stands we used in the class are just modified saw horses. They sell a saw horse called a "Burro" at HOme DEPOT for not to much - like $15 or something. They come in 3 sizes and we were using the medium and large stands in the class (the small one is really small - but great for resting your tools on). Then, I screwed a 1x4 to the sides for the tiki to rest on. It's a real quick and inexpensive way to make carving stands. I also use these at home to carve with.

Mieko used a different carving stand (I don't know the name of hers - maybe she'll post it?), but you can purchase one like hers at sears or woodworking stores. Hers has clamps and folds easy for transport.

RR

You can find folding ones as cheep as $15-$20.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=47844

M
mieko posted on Tue, Oct 21, 2008 3:43 PM

I have the black and decker workmate, and it is bit nicer, but most people use the burros.

I've got a link on my website to amazon if you want to look at it:
http://www.tropicaldesignsbymieko.com/articles.html

I've got the other tools that I use up there too.

RR

I actually use these.

http://www.hardwareworld.com/Plastic-Sawhorse-Bracket-pW3ATTI.aspx

You use your own 2 X 4s so you can make them as tall or short as you want. I'm 6'4" so mine are nice and tall.

Thanks guys! Plenny choices, very helpful.

Pages: 1 22 replies