Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

indian chief palm frond pg. 8

Pages: 1 2 3 109 replies

M

I am new to tiki crafting in the physical realm (about 3 months). As I don't have good photos yet, please feel free to enjoy and or download some of my digital tiki art (they make for some good wallpapers)

[ Edited by: mijaba 2014-03-03 12:36 ]

M

Here's an animated myspace banner

[ Edited by: mijaba 2008-09-25 18:00 ]

M

A nice slice of paradise

HOK

Nice work....Welcome aboard :) Freddie

M

Thanks! I'm working on some photo's of my "tiki" carving, so I can get them up-- soon.

Nice! I love looking at that kinda stuff...you really get to see into the imagination of the artist. Can't wait to see a real-world tiki carving from ya!!!

T

Cool! Luv the volcano in the last one. It adds a lot of depth to the image. Nice work!

M

these are pendants- and all earlier stuff. sorry for the bad photos and rudimentary skill. My newer ones are better. I will get some up soon. Maybe some better shots of these as well.

[ Edited by: mijaba 2009-01-03 23:28 ]

M
mijaba posted on Sun, Jan 4, 2009 8:10 AM

another older one, alien pendant:

skull

mood tiki (flip-side will be sad)

frog (does not hop)

my personal tiki- glows in the dark (used fingernail polish, then heavy poly)

keep in mind I'm a novice and I use a dremel on wooden dowels.
I need to work on my symmetry, cleaner lines and finer details, as you can all tell.

[ Edited by: mijaba 2009-01-04 08:12 ]

H

I like your work, I am not sure if you should try and make the lines perfect and clear, it looks fine just the way it is. Your work looks interesting, Please try to take clearer pictures so we can see it better. :)

Welcome on board.
You are doing great on the small stuff and i love the fact that you try other stuff outside the Tiki Genre.
I did my stuff using a dremel but now i do all small wood with a knife.
Do a search here on "Hook knife" and read everything Benzart wrote about the subject. And if you get curious and want to give the knife a try, please read the safety treat first.
Keep up the great work

M

Thank you for the feedback folks. I'm trying to stay away from the more traditional genre of Tiki (because I'm an amateur, white, and from Ohio). I feel myself drifting toward sculpture, rather than strictly tiki, although Bobby Brady was and remains a HUGE influence, as was the KonTiki Cinema in Dayton (R.I.P.) As soon as I get my machine up and running again, there will be more. Paipo is just AWESOME and now I want to work in stone. Unfortunately, I live in a rather small apartment, and my neighbors have kids (and I don't think they speak english or like strangers)

On 2009-01-04 11:47, mijaba wrote:
Thank you for the feedback folks. I'm trying to stay away from the more traditional genre of Tiki (because I'm an amateur, white, and from Ohio).

I would only worry about the Ohio thing, the rest happens to the best :lol:
Seriously, historically Tiki were made all around the pacific, so they where made by black, yellow, red and possibly some purple dudes. So just expand your talents and learn from the experts, masters, pro's and the occasional wizard on this forum. And remember you can always leave Ohio

M

It's been awhile. I still don't have my own camera (dangit!) I've been grinding Tik, with some success. I did a nicely "modulated" commision piece for a workmates kid. He's gonna be known as the little boy with the BIG TIKI. It was my best to date- and darn if I didn't get a pic of it. I totally burnt out my Dremel tonight. I feel like my parents have grounded me. So, in lieu of photo's of my latest work, here's a little something something I've been working on- do you like hula dancing and Art Lyman?
http://www.vimeo.com/3457036
here's a little still from my video:

[ Edited by: mijaba 2009-03-11 20:55 ]

M

Great video.Let those talents flow,we want to see more of your work here.

M

Here is my first commish EVER! Dremeled in oak, stained with dark walnut minwax, sanded, restained with colonial maple minwax, sprayed with minwax acrylic. About 4 inches tall. All critiques, comment, questions welcome!

[ Edited by: mijaba 2009-03-17 16:03 ]

Congratulations on the first commission & the obvious improvement in photo quality! New Camera?
Anyways, looks great!

Keep at it!

Tyler
(persistent amateur & Florida Cracker)

M

I used the camera here at work (really nice!) Not supposed to, but I claim the right of TIKI!
Watch my hula girl! http://www.vimeo.com/3457036

M

I tried a new nodal shading technique on my bubba tiki:

B

Really nice stuff Mijaba, lets see more. The hula girl was nice too.

Nice job! Like the design too. I bet you've got more good ideas up your sleeve!

M
mijaba posted on Sun, Apr 5, 2009 4:16 PM

here's some newer stuff. My daughter took these pics on her phone, so the quality is kinda poor.
LilGuy

MezzoDaddy-My daughter became very uncooperative and would not shoot the back of this, but it's very cool, Like a tetris puzzle
Frontand side
Pineapplehead- no back, same reason. I actually only like the mouth on this one- it shows a hint of progress:
side
Grandpa tiki, no back (or side) same reason

Cannibal, no side shot- same reason. SEE if I pay her phone bill! HAH!
side

[ Edited by: mijaba 2009-04-05 16:21 ]

L
laojia posted on Sun, Apr 5, 2009 9:12 PM

Like MezzoDaddy tetris! Very cool!!! And for your daughter: don't pay the bill! :P the pictures are not clear enough! :lol:

S

Nice carves, love the crazy idea's like the tetras.

M
mijaba posted on Sun, Jun 7, 2009 7:36 PM

here is the spring collection in total (lil' lono is in the pre-stain phase- first from right)

M
mijaba posted on Sun, Jun 7, 2009 7:38 PM

here's Lil' Lono, finished and stained

M
mijaba posted on Sun, Jun 7, 2009 8:02 PM

here's "Big Frog" as opposed to the little one I did months ago. About 4 hrs work, red oak. I think for now, that's going to be my wood of choice (since I have a boat load of it)

[ Edited by: mijaba 2009-06-09 15:51 ]

M
mijaba posted on Tue, Jun 9, 2009 3:51 PM

I think I'll call hm "Boss Frog". Here, with final clearcoat, dried and ready to hang. Critiques would be much appreciated. Thanks!!

Cool stuff! I dig 'em. I like the creativeness going on there, very different...and GOOD!

M
mijaba posted on Tue, Jun 9, 2009 4:12 PM

"witch doktor"-- really not sure what the wood is-- it fell out of a pallet at work

M
mijaba posted on Tue, Jun 9, 2009 4:16 PM

Cat charm- made for my wife. I think it's red oak- but I'm not sure
I painted it with LOTS of fingernail polish.

[ Edited by: mijaba 2009-10-18 07:16 ]

M
mijaba posted on Tue, Jun 9, 2009 4:20 PM

I tiki-hut (work in progress) I really need to figure out how to thatch the roof.

[ Edited by: mijaba 2009-10-18 07:16 ]

M

my big fish (called stirfry)

my first Maori (that I can proudly post)

and HiTower

yes, i REALLY need to invest in a good camera, because this webcam just isn't gettin' it!

[ Edited by: mijaba 2009-07-23 19:12 ]

M

just a bump so I can get some commentary, critiques on my tikis. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

B

Mijaba, the tikis look pretty good as does the tiki hut beginnings. A better camera would definitely help youe cause, but keep creating the tikit. What materials are you using and what tools?

M

Thanks Ben. I'm using a dremel, various sand paper, and 1 1/2 inch red oak dowels from home depot -- I work pretty much exclusively in pendants, miniatures.
here's a frog for a neighbor:

M

lil pharoe
red oak, carved with dremel. 3.5" tall. stain and nail polish

M

lil gangsta
red oak, dremel. 2.5" tall

Very creative stuff. I really like the shape of the mouth on Lil Gansta.

G
GROG posted on Sun, Oct 18, 2009 10:33 AM

The designs look good. Definitely need a better camera. These probably look awesome in person.

M

a lion pendant for a friend. red oak (i think) black acrylic for cuts, blotted-on gold nail enamel to give a "hammered metal" feel. about 1.5 inches tall. string goes through ears.

M

[ Edited by: mijaba 2009-12-30 19:03 ]

M

tikicature of me :wink:

[ Edited by: mijaba 2009-12-30 19:09 ]

M

now! ANIMATED!!!

[ Edited by: mijaba 2009-12-30 20:15 ]

Groovy animation !
I dig the shape too!

I like the way the nail polish gives the carvings a almost -disco- kind of feel.

Aloha!

Marcus

B

Love thi one a Lot and the animation is way cool

M

lil monster pendant- dremel and red oak @1.5" tall

lil BIG maori- blades and basswood @2" tall

[ Edited by: mijaba 2010-03-18 15:09 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 109 replies