Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

"trader hic's" finally painted and posted here!! enjoy!!!

Pages: 1 30 replies

T
THOR's posted on Thu, Oct 9, 2008 9:54 AM

ALOHA ALL!

My painting I shared the thinking process with you all on was finished almost a year ago. I have had several TC'ers ask me at events why I have not posted the final result, and I have no excuses, except I just plain forgot! This painting kept being postponed for other more "marketable" images and sat in drawing form for a few years until it was finally painted around this time last year. All those who understand Tiki have loved this piece..but those who do not have said this was about the weirdest freaking image they ever saw! I was accused of doing speedballs chased by corn liquor to come up with such nonsense.

To view the very first idea sketches in my sketchbook and the feedback from all the great TC friends, view the original thread: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=20312&forum=18&hilite=trader%20hic's&PHPSESSID=8d662eb68caeb5f54a63d3b175782098

So here it is!! Inspired by my trips to paint old farm houses while at Disney and doing what we called "paint-outs". I visited many old barns in the deep mid-west..and wondered what would happen is some homespun farmer out there wanted to BS all his neighbors and kin into thinking he had been to the Islands and knew how to create an "authentic" Tiki bar. So he took all his farming junk, his wild imagination and talent for weaving tales about his adventures in Tiki and created this! ENJOY!! The Mai Tai's are "genuine" plain label punch and fine corn liquor!! OH...and they are served up in hand painted "Tiki" milk bottles, garnished with REAL canned pineapple rings and maraschino cherries straight from the jar! Great with a pickle or corn on the cobb..FREE from the Poo Poo platter!!!

ENJOY!

This guy is stealing from the pickled egg lava lamp...note the cork lei, carved apple core tiki necklace and magnificent POO POO platter!! Nothin' like "Cheese Wup" on white bread and corn on a stick too..and FREE yet!!!

What great puffer lights can be made with a nice hot water bottle, a couple corks and a hand full of toothpicks!! That old mounted trout sure came in handy!! Just add an old butcher knife and twine and they'll all believe its a real life "Tropical sordfish from "Hawaia"!! Strung tin cans are the base of one of two palm tree and nothin' like chicken wire for fish netting! Dig the farmer's wife in the back!! She makes real hula dancer's "pale" in comparison!!

Here's a better view of the other "palm tree" made of a couple moose antler plaques, bowling ball "coconuts" and strung tin can trunk. A neighbor farmer tries out the "surfing simulator" made out of an old Ironing board. Note the "januine" shark jaws above the door(bear trap), and the "Moo Moo" with Hawaiian Island markings(miracle?... or was it from the help of a little creative white wash adjustments??).

Now meet "Trader Hic" himself..tendin' to bar! He is cleanin' off a milk bottle for the next customer. Note his hand carved Tiki pendant("carrot wood" of course!). His authentic Island "Parit" sits patiently in it's bike inner tube ring perch. No FEEDIN', now!!..He's on strict exotic diet (most likely the Poo Poo's).

last but not least,this shows a close up of a "hillbilly outrigger". This one is a fountain and jacuzzi! He is shootin' us the Shaka! Surrounding him are two of the Tiki's made of stuff found around the farm.

Soooooo FOLKS!! If Ya ever make it to The Trader's parts!! Look Him up!!! Rest assured...you can find a little Tiki in a LOT of unlikely places!!!

Look for more of this series.. It's part of the "Home Spun Tiki Bars" Series I plan to continue where you will see the creativity of Tiki bars in basements and backyards that refuse to be without Tiki..and makeeTiki out of whatever is available!!

Aloha y'All!! THOR

[ Edited by: THOR's 2008-10-09 10:24 ]

Yee hoo that looks like a bar where you might find my kin folks talkin' story like about the time grandpappy while all snockered up on roadhouse corn tried to tie a grass skirt to the neighbors sow. Well that ol pig knocked him clear o'er into the still and Grandpappy burned his sunday britches clean through to the skin. He ended up marrying that pig.

As always an amazing piece of work Thor. So much to take in and boggle on.

T

Chongolio!! YOU are a HOOT!!! lol!! Just don't get Squid started on this Hillbilly banter again...He can go on till the cows come home!!! Giggle....Snort~

T
TikiG posted on Thu, Oct 9, 2008 10:45 AM

Thor -

GOD THIS IS HILARIOUS - A true modern classic!

This is on par with anything created for MAD magazine - and I say this with utmost respect and admiration. Your technique is so intense, the characters are spot on and the end result is universal; The scene created here inspires out-bursts of laughter from everybody I've shown this to.

I'm honored to have the chance to express my gratitude to you here on this forum, and I look forward to all of your future works that share the same degree of brilliant execution and level of comedy / satire that this piece explodes with. Thanks Tom for sharing.

Cheers!

S

Ah bleve that's just over the ridge from Nawger Nob up in Townsend. Just past Tater Sparks place.

Very Nice, Tom!
You're an incredible artist
with an incredible imagination !
what a powerful combo!

i just wish we had a Trader Hicks in Danville, Illinois
where i grew up....
free pickles...man!
Kudos to You-dos!

There's a fine line between lunacy and genius...that's all I have to say 'bout that :P Great work! I had seen your amazing shrunken heads in various posts but somehow missed your paintings, guess I'll have to go back and search them out.

T
twitch posted on Thu, Oct 9, 2008 3:55 PM

That is completely awesome. And the light/coloring is amazing. Brings back memories of visiting the relatives in Saskatchewan. (Well, sorta)

H

Looks great, as Id expect from you :D Some great ideas in there

C

:lol: :lol:
Love the puffer fish water bottle
:lol: :lol:

Thanks for sharing, Thor - Fabulous!!!!!!

T

Thanks!! I couldn't think of anything at the time to be glass fishfloats that would be in a barn....so went with the puffer bottles. Anyway..I am currently working on what I call "Huma Hummer". It's a view at what a hard core Tiki fan does with a military hummer, a .50 cal. machine gun and other military periphenalia in the middle of the Iraqui dessert amid the date palms. Stay tuned!! Thjat will be done in the next couple days!

This is a MONSTER piece of work, nothing less.

I'm sitting here thinking that I can't even find the right words to say how I feel. It's so fun and imaginative and covers ever base, a great work of art.

We are looking forward to all the tiki treasures we signed up for at Oasis 8. You rock. Wendy and Dan

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2008-10-12 16:26 ]

T

Thanks Dan and Wendy!! My goodness I look hung over in all the Oasis pics I have seen!! HAaaa It was great meeting you.

Robb, I have been meaning to write on your blog for months. Your velvets are absolutely AWESOME!!! I have a series I began a while back that sold well in the Gallery and have all sorts of ideas I need to get onto the fuzzy canvas of love myself. I appreciate your sense of light and we share a similar background in past careers where we had to learn to imagine light and form when inventing things that don't exist. Anyway..I love your work as well and send you at LEAST equal praise.

Fantastic painting Tom! Love the depth and detail in it, from behind the bar to outside the front door. Great sense of humor too. Kudos to you.

E-gads! I count seven light sources! Not including the night sky or sign out side. Wow! It boggles my mind to even conceive how you so accurately worked it all out! That there barn is Beautiful!

A

When will a print be available? I'm clearing some wall space now.

Badd asss artwork you got there...very much my preference of style. Would love to see more and I love them pickles!

T

Ariano!! Thanks...and thanks Davy too!!!

I just heard that "Trader Hic's" was put into prints last week..so check the Thor gallery for getting them!! It's a wild piece!!

B

JUST Ran acrosws this,, THOR,You are sick and your works are way out there sick too.
This was incredible.

On 2008-10-09 09:54, THOR's wrote:
ALOHA ALL!

My painting I shared the thinking process with you all on was finished almost a year ago. I have had several TC'ers ask me at events why I have not posted the final result, and I have no excuses, except I just plain forgot! This painting kept being postponed for other more "marketable" images and sat in drawing form for a few years until it was finally painted around this time last year. All those who understand Tiki have loved this piece..but those who do not have said this was about the weirdest freaking image they ever saw! I was accused of doing speedballs chased by corn liquor to come up with such nonsense.

To view the very first idea sketches in my sketchbook and the feedback from all the great TC friends, view the original thread: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=20312&forum=18&hilite=trader%20hic's&PHPSESSID=8d662eb68caeb5f54a63d3b175782098

So here it is!!  Inspired by my trips to paint old farm houses while at Disney and doing what we called "paint-outs".  I visited many old barns in the deep mid-west..and wondered what would happen is some homespun farmer out there wanted to BS all his neighbors and kin into thinking he had been to the Islands and knew how to create an "authentic" Tiki bar.  So he took all his farming junk, his wild imagination and talent for weaving tales about his adventures in Tiki and created this!  ENJOY!!  The Mai Tai's are "genuine" plain label punch and fine corn liquor!! OH...and they are served up in hand painted "Tiki" milk bottles, garnished with REAL canned pineapple rings and maraschino cherries straight from the jar!  Great with a pickle or corn on the cobb..FREE from the Poo Poo platter!!!  

ENJOY!  

This guy is stealing from the pickled egg lava lamp...note the cork lei, carved apple core tiki necklace and magnificent POO POO platter!! Nothin' like "Cheese Wup" on white bread and corn on a stick too..and FREE yet!!!

What great puffer lights can be made with a nice hot water bottle, a couple corks and a hand full of toothpicks!! That old mounted trout sure came in handy!! Just add an old butcher knife and twine and they'll all believe its a real life "Tropical sordfish from "Hawaia"!! Strung tin cans are the base of one of two palm tree and nothin' like chicken wire for fish netting! Dig the farmer's wife in the back!! She makes real hula dancer's "pale" in comparison!!

Here's a better view of the other "palm tree" made of a couple moose antler plaques, bowling ball "coconuts" and strung tin can trunk. A neighbor farmer tries out the "surfing simulator" made out of an old Ironing board. Note the "januine" shark jaws above the door(bear trap), and the "Moo Moo" with Hawaiian Island markings(miracle?... or was it from the help of a little creative white wash adjustments??).

Now meet "Trader Hic" himself..tendin' to bar! He is cleanin' off a milk bottle for the next customer. Note his hand carved Tiki pendant("carrot wood" of course!). His authentic Island "Parit" sits patiently in it's bike inner tube ring perch. No FEEDIN', now!!..He's on strict exotic diet (most likely the Poo Poo's).

last but not least,this shows a close up of a "hillbilly outrigger". This one is a fountain and jacuzzi! He is shootin' us the Shaka! Surrounding him are two of the Tiki's made of stuff found around the farm.

Soooooo FOLKS!! If Ya ever make it to The Trader's parts!! Look Him up!!! Rest assured...you can find a little Tiki in a LOT of unlikely places!!!

Look for more of this series.. It's part of the "Home Spun Tiki Bars" Series I plan to continue where you will see the creativity of Tiki bars in basements and backyards that refuse to be without Tiki..and makeeTiki out of whatever is available!!

Aloha y'All!!  THOR  

B

JUST Ran across this,, THOR,You are sick and your works are way out there sick too.
This was incredible.

On 2008-10-09 09:54, THOR's wrote:
ALOHA ALL!

So here it is!!  Inspired by my trips to paint old farm houses while at Disney and doing what we called "paint-outs".  I visited many old barns in the deep mid-west..and wondered what would happen is some homespun farmer out there wanted to BS all his neighbors and kin into thinking he had been to the Islands and knew how to create an "authentic" Tiki bar.  So he took all his farming junk, his wild imagination and talent for weaving tales about his adventures in Tiki and created this!  ENJOY!!  The Mai Tai's are "genuine" plain label punch and fine corn liquor!! OH...and they are served up in hand painted "Tiki" milk bottles, garnished with REAL canned pineapple rings and maraschino cherries straight from the jar!  Great with a pickle or corn on the cobb..FREE from the Poo Poo platter!!!  

ENJOY!  

Aloha y'All!!  THOR  

T

HAAAAaa Thanks Ben!! I had a feelin' you would like this one when ya saw it!! I bet you would have gone straight for the poo poo platter had you been in this scene!!!! HAaaaa Warm wishes Brudah! Your carvin' as always is God like!!!

~~

Wonderful painting
You could imagine it really happening. Love it
Trader bob

My God - you may have actually topped yourself! Is that possible?

Frickin' spectacular. Mesmerizing.

O
Otto posted on Fri, Jan 11, 2013 6:25 PM

Well if that ain't nuff proof that hillbillys can Tiki it right good then I'll be a munkee's uncle!

T

Thanks Otto...I tell yah...all it takes is imagination and some corn and heat and free spirits and it's all up hill(billy) from there!! Looking forward to this years Oasis and helping make this a super fun time! ~~THOR

Keep it up Tom-neva stop! you are amazing! i'm checking your site for prints mo scratchee!
David

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2013-01-13 22:18 ]

Another homerun. I have four of your prints in my tiki bar. Maybe some day you'll do a trailerpark inspired tiki bar...

T

Let's do one!! I had that on the list as one to do...along with others! Share some ideas! ~~THOR

Brilliant!

BT

Awesome,

Just too much stuff in that painting to take in. Would love to pour over it in person for a couple hours.

Pages: 1 30 replies