Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Anybody have a Mai Tai recipe similar to the Tiki Ti Mai Tai?

Pages: 1 4 replies

D

?

I am pretty sure they use their own recipe, but it is probably based on the Don the Beachcomber version of the Mai Tai rather than the Trader Vic. I know it uses passion fruit syrup. The only other Mai Tai that I have had that has passion fruit is the Royal Hawaiian (Laguna) Mai Tai, but it is a bit different from the Tiki Ti version.

If you want to reporoduce it, I would start with the Don the Beachcomber recipe (sorry, I don't know it offhand) nad start playing around with it.

Last time I was there I had two versions, one with passion fruit DTB version and the traditional San Francisco TV style. Both were good.

D

If you want to reporoduce it, I would start with the Don the Beachcomber recipe (sorry, I don't know it offhand) nad start playing around with it.

I tried the DTB one tonight. Not bad, but a little on the sweet side. Vaguely reminiscent of (hate to say it) the overdone and not very good Mai Tais at the Tonga Room, SF. Tonga Room is a great place. Cocktails, notsomuch. Anyway, the DTB Mai Tai was good, but I think the next step is to use Orgeat. The recipe that I found called for 1 oz. sugar syrup and no Orgeat. Next time I'll try 1/2 oz sugar, 1/2 oz Orgeat. It also called for 2 dashes of Angostura Bitters. That ended up being too dominant. Maybe one dash next time.

I recommend Orange Bitters rather than Angostura. Granted the DTB Mai Tai is not the best and if you are going to make a Mai Tai it is the Trader Vic's that is the gold standard. My guess is that Ray Buhen took the DTB recipe and improved it.

Pages: 1 4 replies