Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Recipe from the Mauna Loa Detroit, 1968

Pages: 1 1 replies

Not allot around from the Mauna Loa so I thought I'd post this recipe.
http://www.lovefords.org/recipes/omelettekahilani.htm

"Anyone who has ever seen them is thereafter haunted as if by a feverish dream" Karl Woermann

[ Edited by: uncle trav 2008-10-19 06:08 ]

Great find Uncle Trav!

I'm afraid that someday the link will expire so I'm pasting the recipe here ~

"Ford Times Treasury of Favorite Recipes Recipe #15

Mauna Loa

Nestled on a man-made lagoon at 3077 West Grand Boulevard at Cass in Detroit, Michigan, this two-million dollar restaurant takes patrons in a make-believe trip through the Pacific Archipelago and India. The elaborate decorations are authentic, from the 1,250 Chinese coins imbedded in the bar to the enormous Samoan war canoes. There are two complete kitchens - American and Oriental - so that patrons can enjoy either cuisine or a mixture. Open for lunch and dinner weekdays, closed on Sundays. Reservations necessary.

Omelette Kahilani

Omelette:
Separate 12 egg yolks from whites. Beat egg whites until stiff, then add yolks, 1/2 cup coffee cream and a dash of salt and white pepper. Fry in a pan with butter until half set. Place hot vegetable filling on top of omelette and fold over. Top with Swiss cheese slice. Place in 325-degree oven for 3 minutes. Serves 4-6

Stuffing:

Combine 1 onion, finely sliced; 1 tomato, diced; stalk of celery, coarsely diced; 1 green pepper, diced; 1/4 head Chinese cabbage, diced; and 6 large fresh mushrooms, sliced. Put vegetables in boiling, salted water for 5 minutes. Drain vegetables and place in a skillet. To skillet add: 4 strips crisply fried bacon; 1/4 pound roasted pork, diced; 1/4 cup vegetable oil; 1 teaspoon salt; 1/2 teaspoon white pepper; 1/2 teaspoon Accent and 3 dashes of soy sauce. Mix well and cook mixture together over medium fire for 5-7 minutes. Add 2 teaspoons cornstarch dissolved in water and stir well.

This recipe appeared in the Ford Times Magazine's October, 1968 edition.

The above illustration is an original painting by Lou McMurray."

Pages: 1 1 replies