Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tikis in films

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 691 replies

K
kah706 posted on Wed, Jun 5, 2002 2:59 PM

Spotted some tiki action in two films recently:

• Robinson Crusoe on Mars. The stranded astronaut is trying to light a fire in the thin atmosphere with a matchbook which has a tiki mask on it from the Kailua Klub in San Diego, California. Actually, a really good movie too.

• Muppets in Space. Yeah, I know, but there was nothing else on. The muppets are having a tropical themed jacuzzi party and a couple of them are sipping from tiki mugs.

Does anyone know if there is a list of films with tikis in them? If not, there should be.

Cheers,
Kelly

[ Edited by: kah706 on 2004-02-03 08:44 ]

Here's one:
Ferris Bueller's Day Off. There's a scene in the beginning of the movie where Ferris is on the phone trying to persuade Cameron to come pick him up. He's sitting in a lounge chair by the pool sipping a drink from a Hawaii Kai Hula Girl mug.

I think that most Robinson Crusoe movies have a high tiki-ness, though most don't feature a heavy Tiki count (apart from this reacent made for TV version that I saw with lots of new caledonian tiki's in it) but inessance the whole tropical island theme, grass huts and bamboo furniture, think of the disney film "the swiss family robinson" that tree house would make a brillant tiki bar.
And I agree "Robinson Crusoe on mars" is ace

This thread points to one of the problems of this board: New (and old) members don't have the time to browse through all previous posts, not even the ones that are on the same page.
This should have landed under the ol' "tiki bar scene in old movie" header...

W

The Tiki bar scenes thread is for scenes shot in Tiki bars. This one seems to be a "spot the Tiki" thread. The pool scene in the Elvis flick "Clambake" (brought to our attention by bigbrotiki) is a Tiki scene in a movie, but as I recall (before I fell asleep) it was not a Tiki bar scene. Splitting hairs, perhaps, but we all seem to be mighty good at that.

[ Edited by: woofmutt on 2002-06-06 12:23 ]

S

Since this thread has officially been dubbed "Non-Tiki Bar" Tiki spottings in movies, I'll add one I saw the other night. Black Widow with Theresa Russell and Debra Winger. A large Tiki carving can be seen outside of a Hawaiian resort where the girls stay. Other than that, the few highlights of the movie feature Theresa Russell in a bikini and Debra Winger applying CPR to Theresa...

I've been asked by a local film maker of my acquaintance to dress a mock "home tiki bar" for an independent film he's directing. Most of the dressing will be from my own collection, but I'll probably have to build a bar from scratch as mine can't be moved. Should be fun - I'll let you know how it goes. Say Woffmut - interested in carving something for use on the silver screen?

I saw 3 movies on video this weekendwith Tiki drinks: 1 was the afore mentioned "Muppets from Space" (Ratso & PePe are drinking from tiny green tiki mugs & there's a 3rd in the background), "Weird Al" Yankovic's "UHF" (Al goes into a bar & orders a Blueberry Daqueri & it comes in a "Mr. Bali Hai" mug), & "Boys on the Side" (Drew Barrymore's character's playing Putt-Putt golf while drinking from a coconut shell mug with an umbrella & fruit garnish).

aloha,

On 2002-06-06 08:15, PolynesianPop wrote:
Here's one:
Ferris Bueller's Day Off. He's sitting in a lounge chair by the pool sipping a drink from a Hawaii Kai Hula Girl mug.

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-09-10 13:49 ]

bigbrotiki wrote:
This thread points to one of the problems of this board: New (and old) members don't have the time to browse through all previous posts, not even the ones that are on the same page.
This should have landed under the ol' "tiki bar scene in old movie" header...

Here is the thread that Bigbro is referring to.

Enter The SoCal Hoity Toity Schedule

[ Edited by: SugarCaddyDaddy on 2004-02-02 18:12 ]

C

Rapa Nui (sorry it's not on DVD yet)

A forbidden love story, the annual birdman competition, and of course carving Moai heads, moving Moai heads are mostly what the film is about.

Lots of great tikis, even if there is not lots of great acting.

This came up in my "Tikis in films" TC search, and Hanford(!), Dam was I HAPPY!

http://www.giligins.com/bars_go_gos_ni/Page_27_Giligx.html

Bio-Dome with Pauley Shore has several Tikis and hawaiian signs during the big luau scene. (Looks like the same stuff for rent at Oceanic Arts.)

Chairman of the board with Carrot top has all kinds of cool things, rat finks, moon eyes, Tiki's, hula girls, etc.

Erich

On 2004-02-02 21:16, captnkirk wrote:
Rapa Nui (sorry it's not on DVD yet)

[ Edited by: Phillip Roberts 2014-09-12 23:34 ]

K
kctiki posted on Tue, Feb 3, 2004 5:16 AM

The old film "Come Back Little Sheba" starring Burt Lancaster & Shirley Booth has a scene where she is listening to an exotica music radio program called "Taboo".

It saw a hula girl in the background while Jim and his dad were talking in American Wedding.

B

On 2004-02-02 15:18, freddiefreelance wrote:
"Weird Al" Yankovic's "UHF" (Al goes into a bar & orders a Blueberry Daqueri & it comes in a "Mr. Bali Hai" mug

Close, it's an Orchids R-18

On 2004-02-03 14:09, badmojo wrote:

On 2004-02-02 15:18, freddiefreelance wrote:
"Weird Al" Yankovic's "UHF" (Al goes into a bar & orders a Blueberry Daqueri & it comes in a "Mr. Bali Hai" mug

Close, it's an Orchids R-18

:D I love this site! You'll get a Tiki education just hangin' around talking about movies.

Orchids of Hawaii R-18:

OMC Mr. Bali-Hai:

Now I'm gonna hafta watch the movie again & look for the difference!

The Terminator has the "TIKI MOTEL" that Sarah Conner and her protector (what ever his name is) stay at this motel while on the run. Nothing Tiki but maybe the light fixture in the room.

BtB

"The Big Bounce," currently showing, prominently features two large Hawaiian tikis fronting the beach in one of the opening scenes.

The story is located in Oahu's North shore and some of the shots are of lovely fauna and beautiful emerald green ocean. Surfing buffs will also love it.

8T

Don't know if this one is mentioned elsewhere but there are tiki and polynesian decor sightings in some scenes of the classic John Wayne movie "IN HARM'S WAY"
co-starring Kirk Douglas & Carroll O'connor.

"A Guy Thing" which came out a few months back kicks off in a new-looking Tiki bar complete with Tiki statues and the like. The plot revolves around the main character who meets a 'Tiki girl' (In this context, a Tiki Girl appears to be someone who dances in a bikini and a lei in a Tiki bar) on his stag night. As a result there are many references to him being with this 'Tiki Girl' throughout the movie which is otherwise utterly unremarkable in every respect.

Trader Woody

T

Has anyone ever mentioned that the whole "Why am I funny?" scene in Goodfellas takes place in a tiki establishment?

Hours later...Thanks Woody! I never posted in the old thread, thats about all i can remember about that. I guess that would have to do with the fact that I am trying to perfect a Sufferin' Bastard at home after work daily. Almost there, but..

[ Edited by: turbogod on 2004-02-05 07:18 ]

Indded we have. In fact, it was in a thread you started off!

https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic-new.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=51&forum=1&start=0

I guess memory loss is one of the downsides of too many high-quality rum-based drinks....

Trader Woody

R

On 2004-02-04 19:12, christiki295 wrote:
"The Big Bounce," currently showing, prominently features two large Hawaiian tikis fronting the beach in one of the opening scenes.

The story is located in Oahu's North shore and some of the shots are of lovely fauna and beautiful emerald green ocean. Surfing buffs will also love it.

Yes too bad the film's script was so thin and that blond actor guy is just plain annoying! :roll: I love Morgan Freeman though, it would have been better if it just was about him, the blond girl and Sheen hanging out with surfers and tiki carvers on the north shore. Now THAT would have been way more intersting! :lol: :D

In the movie "Swingers" they meet the girls in the "Bamboo Lounge" after the chicks get off work.

BtB

Several tiki sightings in the old John Wayne / Lee Marvin movie Donovan's Reef.

Tiki in "50 First Dates"

I haven't seen this movie yet...it takes place in Hawaii, and here's a picture of Drew Barrymore and Adam Sandler holding Tiki mugs(albeit new dime-a-dozen ones)

http://www.paloaltoonline.com/movies/cgi/moviescreener_long.cgi?id=1904

I'm embarrassed to say I've seen this (I must have been home from work with the flu and nothing else was on... uh, yeah)

THE EXPERTS (1989) starring John Travolta, Some other guy, Kelly Preston, etc. Two wannabe club promoters from NY asked to redo a club in a small town. The club is an empty tiki bar, at the site of which Travolta get all offended and throws a hissy-fit. As expected, they turn the place into a late 80's nightmare (horrific even by 80's standards) Painful to watch in so many ways, but it's interesting to see the "Me" decades' attitude toward tiki... the result of which we all know too well.

-Z

W

On AMC today I stumbled across a scene from the John Wayne flick "Wake of the Red Witch" (1948 or 1949)...John and some other white men were with some natives-of-unknown-origin gathered in front of a large and very cool looking Moai that had a fire pit in front of it. The native spokesperson presented a big chest of pearls to the Duke and this angered one of the white guys who pulled a gun, shot wildly, then ended up falling into the fire pit beneath the Moai. The natives took this as a good sign, the Moai had no reaction.

P.S.: I attempted two searches to see if this film had been mentioned on Tiki Cental before. Apologies if it has and feathers are ruffled, noses out of joint, or butt cheeks have clenched permanently shut. Maybe it's mentioned in the B.O.T. and if it is again with the apologies for not having that tome firmly set page by page in my memory.

Scary! I'm flippin' thru channels and there it is, The Experts- not more than 3 hours after I posted about it. Got to see the tiki bar scene again and was only able to count one carved pole (though I did count TWO mullets!)

-Z

[ Edited by: Feelin' Zombified on 2004-02-13 16:44 ]

Aloha Gang,

I was clicking through the channels and on AMC I saw this early 70s movie with William Holden in it. I stopped and watched it as I was putting on my shoes.

William Holden went for a drink and I'll be damned if he did not get a tall one at a tiki bar/lounge. I am not sure the location but it was on the west coast. Does anyone know more about this movie? It was named "Breezy" from 1973.

Brad 'The Beachcomber' Owens

There is a tiki mask on the wall in the house party scene in The Who's Quadraphenia. You have about 2 secs to catch it.

On 2004-02-13 16:16, woofmutt wrote:
On AMC today I stumbled across a scene from the John Wayne flick "Wake of the Red Witch" (1948 or 1949)...John and some other white men were with some natives-of-unknown-origin gathered in front of a large and very cool looking Moai that had a fire pit in front of it. The native spokesperson presented a big chest of pearls to the Duke and this angered one of the white guys who pulled a gun, shot wildly, then ended up falling into the fire pit beneath the Moai. The natives took this as a good sign, the Moai had no reaction.

P.S.: I attempted two searches to see if this film had been mentioned on Tiki Cental before. Apologies if it has and feathers are ruffled, noses out of joint, or butt cheeks have clenched permanently shut. Maybe it's mentioned in the B.O.T. and if it is again with the apologies for not having that tome firmly set page by page in my memory.

It will be on again in March:
AMC SCHEDULE (NEXT 30 DAYS)

SHOW TITLE TIME

1 Wake of the Red Witch (1948) Friday, Mar. 5 4:30 AM / EST
2 Wake of the Red Witch (1948) Friday, Mar. 5 3:45 PM / EST

[ Edited by: TikiGoon on 2004-02-19 11:36 ]

Saw "Jersey Girl" last night, Kevin Smith's(writer/director of Mallrats, Clerks, Chasing Amy, Dogma etc.) most recent flick.

The little girl Gertie watches a cartoon that mentions a super hero fighting against terrible tikis.

In the special features on the DVD, Kevin Smith visits roadside attractions, including the Weeki Wachee Mermaids.

A

I thought I caught a glimpse of a framed tiki in the new movie "Saw". When the Dr. goes to the seedy hotel.... it was on the same wall as the door. Damn, I'm going to have to sit through all the gore again to make sure!!

F

There's a monkeypod wood "Ku" mug in The Man With Two Brains. There's a scene where Steve Martin is talking to a mad scientist who is holding the mug.

Here's one I know hasn't been mentioned before, because it won't be released until next May: 'Madagascar.' It's DreamWorks next animated feature, which I'm working on now, and it has a very funny Tiki sequence. That sequence hasn't even been animated yet, but I was looking at the layouts, and it's funny as hell.

B
BaronV posted on Fri, Nov 5, 2004 5:14 PM

Two Moai-type statues are in Syndrome's banquet hall in 'The Incredibles'

8-Mile: starring Eminem, Kim basinger, Brittany Murphy, Mekhi Phifer.

You guys may have seen this or it already has been mentioned. Apologies if it has!

There's a scene around 30 minutes in, where Eminem and his "Posse" are in the old Chin Tiki in Detroit.

But before that, it shows them walking up to it with a really good shot of the outside during the night time. its all lit up. Looks really cool.

When they go inside, it is like a hip 21-30 club. Seems like they didnt change it into looking like a nightclub - but they have dance/hiphop playing. No wooden tikis, but they are drinking out of some R-5 Orchids of Hawaii mugs. there are some oher type mugs as well but i cant really tell.

I think that this bar has been closed a long time, but the outside and the sign are still there. I think that i read in a local paper last year that they may be reopening it- has anyone heard this?

I heard that the original onwers still have the rights to the building. they have reported in the past that tiki statues and things have been stolen from the inside. so i am thinking that they are keeping all there tiki stuff for maybe a reopening?

Sad to say that i have not actually been there, but i am planning on it. but does anyone know anything about this? Or its actual location so that i may visit?

thanks

[ Edited by: kimcheebref on 2004-11-05 22:33 ]

TB

Caught a site of a moai bird bath on the new showtime series "Huff" last night, its in a living room scene behind his easy chair by the window midway thru the show.

I saw two movies over the weekend that many a tiki in it.

The Incredibles, in the vocanic lair there are two huge Rapa Nui heads standig on either side of the lave door. Heck Mr. Incredible picks one up. They are very Shag looking in design. Possibly the artist was a fan?

Cellular, I would have never watched this movie, but when you are at the mercy of inlaws you really have little choice. But anyways, you see a few tikis in the background when they are at the peir (towards the end), then the Car salesman from "Fargo" gets in a scuffle with a bad-cop and they crash into a huge collection of painted idols (about 4-5 feet tall). Then the car sales man from "Fargo" goes under the peir, into the boat house (I'm not saying why) and you see a mess load of glass floats!

She Gods of Shark Reef
A 1958 Roger Corman film

Haven't seen the movie but poster sure looks good.

you can download the whole movie from..

http://www.archive.org./details/she_gods_of_shark_reef

..gotta love that Archive.org

UJ

For being a video game based movie... Alone in the Dark is one of them. And it has many scenes in a museum with many tikis and totems.

If you have never heard of the movie... it's pretty much like the Relic.

I watched the movie "Be Cool" this week and there was a brief scene in a tiki-themed nudie/burlesque bar. I think it was the Pussycat Dolls performing per the credits but not sure if that was their regular venue. Wasn't there a mention here before of a tiki-themed nudie bar in So Cal?

It was a pretty cool set up; and I ain't just talking bout the goils...

DG#'s~ too funny! we just watched that movie tonite. i think that was a set and not a real strip club. (those looked like the rental tikis at OA to me) but that is just my opinion and that is definately not full proof. maybe one of tha so-cal locals can look at OA's list of movie credits for us.

Peter Sellers, A SHOT IN THE DARK (Pink Panther Film). Inspector Closeau spents a night out with Maria Gambrelli and takes here to a number of restaurants one of which was a hawaiian/polynesian tiki styled establishment. The killer tries to assasinate closeau with a blow dart

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 691 replies