Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Primo is back!

Pages: 1 39 replies

I think it is, anyway... I just heard a rumor that PBR is brewing it now and is available at Costco in Hawaii.... http://beeradvocate.com/news/1295813
Man, I hope they end up distributing it out here....

B

Yea Beer!

Ya I bought some about 2 or 3 months back for only $9.99 a six pack..:wink:
It was pretty good, better than I expected at least.. The Keoki Brewing Company which is brewing it for Pabst, makes some good beers.. Haven't seen it much at the bars on tap though yet.

I've never been too impressed by the taste of Primo and when it was accquired by Stroh in the 90's it was a big step backwards. But I hope they go back to the vintage graphics on it with the Alli rather than that cartoonish local boy Primo and his dog Howzit this time.

Looks like they have an updated version of the vintage label. They have also reformulated the taste, may not be the same taste you remember

Hanford,

I toast to you!

It's nice to see evolution to go deevolution and than back again, like a Devo song played backwards.

On 2008-10-29 19:23, naugatiki wrote:
It's nice to see evolution to go deevolution and than back again, like a Devo song played backwards.

THE Luau

sven

then, LUAU

sorry. bad joke! :wink:

I wonder what bar on the mainland, PRIMO will show up first???

:)

It's the dawning of a new era!

Probably Here...........

I may have to go and buy some tonight and report back in the morning........

:wink:

B

Hopefully it's Costco-bound for those of us NOT living on an island paradise! I can dream can't I?

I might have to get a major cover up (tattoo)on my right arm!

Last time i was at Kona i was talking to the bartender and i asked if they planned on getting Primo and he said yes that they had been on the phone with the distributor and that they should get it soon. Maybe they can make that happen before they get Hinano back already!

K

The bottled Primo is brewed at that giant beer factory in Irwindale, so they could just drive up the 605 and get a couple cases. The draft is still coming from Kauai, I think.

I've had both - it's a pretty standard lager; good, not too bitter or hoppy, very drinkable. We polished off quite a few at Side Street Inn last night - $5.00 a bottle.

All good.

Woot!

Our beer has arrived!! Direct from the Islands.

Are? Ha!!

http://www.greyhoundog.org

[ Edited by: Mr. NoNaMe 2009-03-10 19:05 ]

Anybody know how i can get my hands on some? Bevmo dosent seem to know if they are going to stock it at this point. Suck em up!

CJ

Boogie Liquors has them on Melrose and Vine. They also have Lemon Hart reg and 151.

On 2009-03-10 18:57, Mongoloid wrote:
Anybody know how i can get my hands on some? Bevmo dosent seem to know if they are going to stock it at this point. Suck em up!

Hey Mongoloid,
BevMo is pretty hit and miss... I looked on their website and they showed one of my local stores as having some in stock. I drove down there and they'd never heard of Primo and said they didn't even carry it?!?!?
I went to my other local BevMo and whadda'ya know... I picked up several six-packs!
So what's the moral of this story? Keep looking, it'll pay off.
Aloha,
:tiki:

A

--or you can drink it at Frankie's! Some of us do every Wednesday!

Aloha

Good news: Forbidden Island is now carrying Primo on tap
Best news: - Only $3 during happy hour

R

They now have it on tap at Duke's Huntington Beach. I am told that it is on special for $3.50 all month.

Primo Website
Check out the Primo dog collar in the gift shop.
I could use that for the next bar crawl.

I want this van!

cool ride.
too bad there is no water in the engine.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I've never tasted Primo, but stores in our area (Alexandria, Virginia), including chain supermarkets like Giant and Harris-Teeter, are carrying some Kona brands: Longboard beer, Pipeline Porter (made with Kona coffee!) and Firerock Pale Ale. I've tried all three and love them, especially the Pipeline Porter.

The Kona Brewing Company website is here: http://www.konabrewingco.com/

K
KuKu posted on Thu, Mar 12, 2009 10:18 AM

Forbidden Island has it on tap now! They needed to add somthing good to balance their latest bad beer addition of Corona, and I must say it is very tasty...

Riptide wrote:
They now have it on tap at Duke's Huntington Beach. I am told that it is on special for $3.50 all month.

Thanks for the tip! :)

A

I've never had Primo. Is it really any different than most pale lagers, or is its appeal just its Hawaiian origins?

On 2009-03-12 11:04, arriano wrote:
I've never had Primo. Is it really any different than most pale lagers, or is its appeal just its Hawaiian origins?

It's made with raw Hawaiian Cane Sugar. It's not sweet, but very smooth.

This from their website:

Primo Beer has a long history in Hawaii, dating back to 1898 when Honolulu Brewing and Malting Co. started it. Then going through several owners throughout the century through sales acquisitions, including Schlitz and Strohs Brewing Company, who finally capped off production in 1997.

In 1999 Pabst Brewing Company acquired Strohs, who owned the Primo label. Now fast-forward to 2007-08, we have the return of this household Hawaii brand.

Pabst has sub-contracted Keoki Brewing Company in Lihue, Kauai to produce Primos draft and bottled products for the islands. Which is nice, as it gives them the right to say Made in Hawaii. Always a good thing!

[ Edited by: Molokai Mike 2009-03-15 21:32 ]

R

Just stopped into Don's on my way home from Duke's. Noticed that they had Primo on tap too. VERY NICE!!!

D#*! I probably will not be seeing it in Florida. I used to have a 1970's beer can. Never tried the stuff, I would like to though.

[ Edited by: dewey-surf 2009-07-10 15:51 ]

Of course Hi-Time Wines has it...Hinano too. I bought a bunch of it for my last BBQ. I'd have to say the most interesting thing about it is the bottle. The Pabst influence is definitely strong...not that there's anything wrong with some PBR.

Yeah, being the beer snob that I am, I am imagining this as nothing more than another watered down big brewery beer. Got to love the Primo history, and logo though. Sometimes a label can motivate me to be more lenient with quality, much like Sailor Jerry rum. But in the end, it probably wouldn't be on my monthly pull list. What do I care though, like I said, this probably ain't making it to Florida.

K
Kila posted on Mon, Jul 13, 2009 9:02 PM

OK, this is kinda random, but Primo coming back totally takes me back to another time...at my junior high in the early '80s there was a cool math teacher who was also an awesome cartoonist. He used to do the art for all the school signs and stuff. He always hid "PRIMO" somewhere in his cartoons, like Playboy does with the bunny. Yup, Primo was his favorite beer. Can you find the Primo?

Chad + Jill = Team Chill

[ Edited by: Kila 2009-07-13 21:04 ]

BevMo Redwood City has it, and its one of the smaller locations. Now if only their Curacaos were actually real Curacaos.

Don the Beachcomber in Sunset Beach, So. Cal. has it on Tap.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

On 2009-07-14 12:07, bigtikidude wrote:
Don the Beachcomber in Sunset Beach, So. Cal. has it on Tap.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Nice!

Hunter S Thompson at 3:00 wearing a primo shirt.

"It was like falling down an elevator shaft and landing in a pool full of mermaids."
— Hunter S. Thompson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3E9DjZ4Oc7M

On 2008-11-01 00:20, Koolau wrote:
The bottled Primo is brewed at that giant beer factory in Irwindale, so they could just drive up the 605 and get a couple cases. The draft is still coming from Kauai, I think.

I've had both - it's a pretty standard lager; good, not too bitter or hoppy, very drinkable. We polished off quite a few at Side Street Inn last night - $5.00 a bottle.

Does anyone have the brewery's address?

On 2009-03-10 18:44, Mr. NoNaMe wrote:
Woot!

Our beer has arrived!! Direct from the Islands.

Also, available at BevMo.

Pages: 1 39 replies