Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Tiki Boats

Pages: 1 2 87 replies

My modest fleet:

Some Tiki boats from the Witco armada.

DC

From the Cook Islandas a couple years back...

Another Tiki boat from the Polynesian Cultural Center in the 1970s:

M

These awesome tikis are on the Honolulu Craigslist right now.

Obviously off of some boat / catamaran. Anyone know which one? At $11,500 for the pair, they will stay on Craigslist for quite a while...

I wonder if any of the Tiki Central carvers has attempted to construct a traditional outrigger canoe? I've not much experience at carving, but it sounds like a fun project. It would be the only one like it on the little Indiana lake where I have my summer cottage! Mmmm... I'll bet someone's got some plans on line...

On 2010-01-15 21:36, Mo-Eye wrote:
These awesome tikis are on the Honolulu Craigslist right now.

Obviously off of some boat / catamaran. Anyone know which one? At $11,500 for the pair, they will stay on Craigslist for quite a while...

I was looking at these yesterday and was wondering what boat tiki's of this size might have been mounted on..
Captain Bean's Dinner Cruise..

The boat was sold and the new owner is selling the above tiki's..
I'd love to have these out on my lanai :wink:

New in 2005.
"Sure to prove a hit with visitors is Kontiki, a spinning and swinging boat ride that recreates the experience of riding the high seas without leaving dry land! The ride was chosen for its unique motion that is unlike anything else currently at the Park thus giving visitors a new experience."

Paultons Park is a family theme park situated in the village of Ower near Romsey in Hampshire, England. The name is derived from the former Paultons Estate, on which the Park is situated. There has been a large investment over the last few years, which has seen the park transform from a small local park, to a major attraction aimed at family audiences. Originally the park was a country park and bird garden. Paultons now has over 50 family rides and attractions and still keeps a number of animals, including Meerkats, Penguins, South African Crowned Cranes, Touracos, and over 80 different species of exotic birds. The park has three roller coasters and two water rides. The park Opened 17 May 1983.

[ Edited by: blue.octopus 2010-01-17 13:01 ]

Wow, the memory of Kon-Tiki being kept alive in this day and age, how cool!

The War Boats of the Island of Otaheite (Tahiti).
William Hodges 1777

On 2010-01-17 10:36, Bongo Bungalow wrote:
I wonder if any of the Tiki Central carvers has attempted to construct a traditional outrigger canoe? I've not much experience at carving, but it sounds like a fun project. It would be the only one like it on the little Indiana lake where I have my summer cottage...

I don't know what ever happened, but there was a plan.

H

A couple of books:

"Sailing in the Wake of the Ancestors: Reviving Polynesian Voyaging (Legacy of Excellence)"
by Ben R. Finney

"We, the Navigators: The Ancient Art of Landfinding in the Pacific"
by David Lewis

Here's a Treasure Craft outrigger (ashtray), although I don't know how well it's being steered by the menehune on top. There's more pics of it in my ooga-mooga collection.

Well, my first attempt at posting a pic on TC doesn't seem to have worked, so here's a link to it:
http://www.ooga-mooga.com/cgi-bin/all/mug.cgi?mode=view&mug_id=4207
Wait, I read the instructions, we'll see if this works.

8T

Just found this book shown earlier in the thread and this mug with another example of a native vessel.

MH

On 2008-11-06 16:44, TIKIVILLE wrote:
just posted this in finds!

I just found the same boat (slightly different sail) on a trip to Ohio last week :)

Outrigger Waikiki
(wish I had one of these)

Scored this news-wire photo and story on the Marco Islander Tiki boat from Florida.

And another matchbook rendering of our Tiki boat that roamed the shores of Waikiki.

Aloha,

On 2012-01-11 19:51, Dustycajun wrote:
And another matchbook rendering of our Tiki boat that roamed the shores of Waikiki.

GRRRR. I own that matchbook. How did I miss that one? Nice work DC.

found this vintage double conoe to add to my growing fleet today and thought I would add it to the thread.

Scored another postcard showing our famous Tiki outrigger on Waikiki Beach.

DC

Aloha,

Hmmm. An unpainted bow. Maybe it's an early shot of it's evolution. Nice DC.

Phillip,

Either an early photo or maybe a shot after a repaint job to go all dark?

Here is the original launch courtesy of Sabu.

DC

1970's Malihini Aloha shirt with a waka

Nice! Makes you wonder why they did not use more Maori patterns on Aloha shirts.

I have 2 tiki boats, the cribbage board that was posted earlier in this thread, and this one.... The string on the outrigger was broken and had to be replaced... no markings on it.. tiki comes out.

Oh no, there's a "nameless pieces of hacked wood" hanging on the wall in the background!!!! :wink:

D
Dagg posted on Sun, Oct 7, 2012 2:16 PM

I also posted this nifty little outrigger in Tiki finds.

D
Dagg posted on Sun, Oct 7, 2012 3:05 PM

and because im bored....

some shots from the Polynesian cultural center on Oahu

Well, a piece of a boat anyway.

Trav! Great to hear from you again. Nice score on the Kon Tiki flotsam, or is that jetsam?

DC

T

It isn't flotsam or jetsam, it's a transom.

...Sorry for the lame joke, but you need to take advantage when an opportunity like that shows up.

Another press photo of the Marco Islander Tiki boat that's for sale on eBay:

TD

The Tahiti Boat line logo - nice!

Learned to water ski behind one of these in the Delta.

DC

Friend of mine's '72 Schuster 'Tahiti', 16 ft., 455 Olds. (He's waffling over whether to sell it, he says.)

"The rum's the thing..."

[ Edited by: Limbo Lizard 2014-01-02 19:00 ]

P

I must have one of those tahiti boat emblems... MUST HAVE!!!

Nice Tiki tour boat from Queensland Australia.

And how about a Tiki Cat?

DC

Prince William and Kate cruising around the Solomon Islands in an awesome boat truck.

Decorated steps.

In a native canoe.

I was looking up some information on a miniature Solomon Island canoe that I recently bought and I found these pictures which I thought looked interesting.

Pages: 1 2 87 replies