Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Derek Yaniger is ready to send you to Wildsville

Pages: 1 45 replies

Peep's of Tiki Central,
It is time to get your hands on some Yaniger!!!!! The artist who brings those Tiki Oasis posters to life just released a book of all his art.

This is a note from Derek to the Tiki Central fan's!!!

Howdy all you Bettys n' Bobs... Okay, lemme clue ya' to the news ya' just gotta' know! My new book, "Wildsville, the art of Derek Yaniger" is now available at http://www.misterretro.com/merchandise.html I've got a limited edition of only 200 signed and numbered copies so get on the good foot and hop on over before they're gonesville! And dig this, cats....just for kicks I'll be randomly placing an original pencil sketch in 20 of the 200... each one different, and each one signed! So...if Lady Luck has big eyes for ya' you might just make out like a bandit on his birthday! That's not all, man.... I also have two of my favorite serigraphs to lay on ya'... "Aloha from Hawaii", based on a painting that just sold at the Outre Gallery in Australia and "One for the Road" based on another painting from my solo show at M Modern in Palm Springs. You can get your mitts on 'em at Mr. Retro so head on over and shop it up so's you can start scratchin' names off that Christmas list... http://www.misterretro.com/merchandise.html Later po-tater,Derek

Enjoy the ride,Dig?

Let that Freaky Tiki Flag Fly,

wildsville man

Rory Snyder (A.K.A. Wildsville-man)

[ Edited by: Wildsville man 2008-11-05 20:35 ]

G
GROG posted on Wed, Nov 5, 2008 11:25 PM

GROG order book. YAY!!!!

Does Derek really talk like that?

Buzzy Out!

i have serigraph overload!!! where the hell is the original yaniger art for sale!!

Here you go Tipsy!!!!!!!!!

Most are SOLD but I believe there are 2 left!!!!!!

http://www.outregallery.com/browse.aspx?Category=169

Also go to Derek's website!!!!!!

This book is yum-tastic eye candy!

It's Tiki Revival history!

It's just crrrazy, man!

Ordered my copy. Can't wait for it to arrive. I've always been a big fan of Derek's work.

S
squid posted on Thu, Nov 6, 2008 5:02 PM

Order complete! Yeeeehaw!

GT

I like to support Tiki artist, I got one to enjoy!

I ordered mine yesterday. I've been waiting for his book to finally come out!

WooHooo! Can't wait to get my hands on that book :)

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=27234&forum=1&PHPSESSID=b08b361ebd5888cb727edea3a99f50a4

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2008-11-07 13:20 ]

Z
Zeta posted on Fri, Nov 7, 2008 10:38 AM

ARR!!!
I just got the book... It´s great! muy bonito!

This is still my favorite of his images!!!!

C

Yippee! Mine arrived safe & sound today - Beautiful!!!
I'm looking forward to reading it in detail tonight :)

& a BIG MAHALO, as I was lucky enough to receive one of the original pencil sketches :D :D :D :D

Crea67,
let's see your sketch!!!!!!! congrats on being one of the lucky ones!!!

[ Edited by: Wildsville man 2008-11-12 16:37 ]

C

On 2008-11-12 16:36, Wildsville man wrote:
Crea67,
let's see your sketch!!!!!!! congrats on being one of the lucky ones!!!

Ask & you shall receive....
:D

WoooHooo! I received my book today. Derek's work is Awesome!! Here's a ? though... On the back of my book there is a price tag that says $27.95. The receipt/packing slip from Font Diner shows that I was charged $35 for the book plus shipping. Why was I charged $7.05 more for the book than what it is being sold for?????? That's a 25% mark-up from retail.

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2008-11-14 19:45 ]

Awesome book!. I've always loved Derek's work. It's nice to see so much stuff of his that I haven't seen before. Definitely glad I bought the book.

As for the pricing, I noticed the same thing. I'm guessing we paid more for the signature.

T

I thought the same thing.

G
GROG posted on Sat, Nov 15, 2008 10:23 AM

The mark up is for the limted edition signed book. Note inside the front cover where it says limited to 200.

G
GROG posted on Sat, Nov 15, 2008 10:28 AM

GROG got GROG' book day before yesterday. No original drawing, though.

I hope the 1400 extra bucks($7 x 200) go into Derek's pocket!!! His art is worth the $$$ I'd pay extra for a pencil sketch!!!! I noticed Amazon has the book for $16.75...(I hope it's not a signed limited edition!)

Dig it.

An awesome book and I seemed to luck out. Thanks to Derek for the awesome work!!!

The Tikipedia
www.tikipedia.com

[ Edited by: tikipedia 2008-11-15 14:10 ]

I went to order one of the books and it says that they are on back order. Does anyone know if that means all of the signed copies are gone and if I was to order one I would just get an unsigned copy now?

Congrates to the two of you who got sketches. Very cool!

I pre-ordered mine on Amazon and I didn't feel like paying another $35 for the posibility of getting a drawing. But after seeing everyone's drawings, I wish I took the chance now.

Man, those drawings are SUPER beautiful. Can you guys please re-post once they're framed.

I went ahead and ordered one. Figured even if that it said they were on back order, if they were still being offered it had to be one of the 200 signed copies since that's what it said I was ordering.

T

Those are some great sketches.

Derek's work has continued to amaze me as time rolls on. Such imagination and versatility.

Here is a line and ink drawing for the poster for the first Florida Hukilau in 2003 (the first Hukilau was 2002 in Atlanta):

And here is the color version:

[ Edited by: tikibob 2008-11-16 19:22 ]

Very cool stuff Tikibob!!!!!! I did not get one of the books with a sketch (SadFace :

OMG Wildsvilleman, I am so jealous about your pencil sketch. Please show it to us once it's framed.

N

Got my copy today. It's a great book!! Love it!!! Derek rocks!!

Here's a question to Derek or anyone that knows him.

When's the next book coming out?

S
squid posted on Tue, Nov 18, 2008 1:40 AM

Got my book. Wow. Soundly disappointed. There was NO SECRET DECODER RING as promised and the 3-D glasses don't work worth a s*#t. And it it has words in it! Sheeesh Derek, do you think we're some sort of intellectual liberal elite crowd here? I like my books with PICTURES DAMMIT! I saved box tops for 2 years to get this? hmmmmmph......

On page 60 Derek writes "Wildsville-Man 06...My friend Rory swears there's a dirty word hidden in this piece...I think he's gassed"...........I want to know what you think,do you see what I see??????

wildsville man

[ Edited by: Wildsville man 2008-11-19 20:27 ]

[ Edited by: Wildsville man 2008-11-19 20:29 ]

G
GROG posted on Wed, Nov 19, 2008 11:09 PM

You're definitely gassed. GROG not find any dirty words.

Yeah I have to agree with Grog there. I just don't see it. Why don't you tell us.

I do have gas,I will admit to that!!!!!!! Thats why they call me the human dutch oven.

But please follow my sick way of thinking.......

In later Art Derek used shapes to make letters (he made it a no brain er by coloring in the background to show you the letters. The body shaped the B...

Maybe before he wasn't so direct

Look at the tiki with the 2 arrows behind it.could that be a F? (if you used them together)

The tikis arm or the Carvers arm could be considered a U dont you think?

And the body shape of the carver?

The shape of the Girl?

What do you think?

I think Derek has a dirty mind and needs to be stopped!!!!!!!

So says the Wildsville Man

wildsville man

[ Edited by: Wildsville man 2008-11-20 02:38 ]

[ Edited by: Wildsville man 2008-11-20 02:50 ]

that's quite a REACH,Rory!

G
GROG posted on Thu, Nov 20, 2008 9:27 AM

T

I see something else if you look closer at the bottom of the picture

T

Well...I lucked out...Here's my Derek sketch that came with my copy of Wildsville

B
BigToe posted on Mon, Aug 2, 2010 9:09 AM

pretty amazing to hang with Derek a lil bit at comicon and watch him bang out sketches in folks books as they bought them.
if u get a chance to track mr Yaniger down at a signing, you will not regret it.

I also highly recommend asking him to do his hill-billy impersonation for you.

MAD alohas Derek!

Mr. Toe

T

When I got my book, I was wondering why one of the images bled through the other side, then I realized he drew and colored it! It looks exactly like his printed illustrations!

I can't wait to see his 3-d prints in person, its a great idea! If you read this Derek, the mugs on its way...

Did you guys hear about this? If you buy Derek's book from Mr. Retro, you get a limited edition print (One Armed Bandit) and possibly a original drawing! If any of you guys get a drawing, can you post it here. I wanna see.

http://derekart.com/news/?p=640

Thanks for the heads up! Just ordered the book! Crossing my fingers for a sketch!

On 2010-08-02 22:34, tikitony wrote:
When I got my book, I was wondering why one of the images bled through the other side, then I realized he drew and colored it! It looks exactly like his printed illustrations!

I can't wait to see his 3-d prints in person, its a great idea! If you read this Derek, the mugs on its way...

Tony, I experienced the exact same situation when I opened up my book! I thought to myself, "well, this looks like really nice print stock... wha'happened?" and then after further examination, realized Derek had done up original art in my book! It was so clean (like all of his art) that I really had to look it over closely.

Derek - thank you for the cool inclusion amigo!

Make Da Mug please post a pick of your pencil sketch. I'm totally into them now and think they're under appreciated.

Pages: 1 45 replies