Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

World premier / Royal Hawaiian exclusive Tiki mug! 12/07/08

Pages: 1 2 49 replies

ALL HANDS ON DECK!

[ Edited by: Daves Not Home 2008-12-02 16:05 ]

The Hula Girls?!?! I LOVE THE HULA GIRLS!

OMG, I must be there, Dave.

I will be there unless I'm in SF seeing 3 surf bands.
8)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I have a question for ya all. Since the remodel I have not been there. Critiki doesn't have any new pictures or reviews. I hear (Yahoo local reviews) that it's not very nice anymore, that it looks like a coffee shop inside. Have they stripped it completely of tiki? I can't imagine they would release a mug if that is the case. Anyone been there recently enough to give us a little review of what the place looks like inside now? Thanks!! KvT~

On 2008-11-20 12:27, Kiki von Tiki wrote:
I have a question for ya all. Since the remodel I have not been there. Critiki doesn't have any new pictures or reviews. I hear (Yahoo local reviews) that it's not very nice anymore, that it looks like a coffee shop inside. Have they stripped it completely of tiki? I can't imagine they would release a mug if that is the case. Anyone been there recently enough to give us a little review of what the place looks like inside now? Thanks!! KvT~

There are some recent photos and comments in the Royal Hawaiian thread in the Locating Tiki forum.
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=4913&forum=2&start=105

On 2008-11-20 12:27, Kiki von Tiki wrote:

I know theres some sour grapes of whats happened to the place. BUT, from what I've heard, theres a decision maker over there that wants to bring it back to its tiki hayday. Let's show them "if you build it, they will come". I think a mug is a move in the right direction. No?

Just because you put syrup on it dont make it pancakes!

[ Edited by: Mongoloid 2008-11-20 14:54 ]

TM

If it is released by tiki farm, designed by Squid...then it's even better then a pancake.

On 2008-11-20 15:34, lucas vigor wrote:
If it is released by tiki farm, designed by Squid...then it's even better then a pancake.

The mug is legit! The remodel of the RH not so much! Devolution!

[ Edited by: mongoloid 2008-11-20 16:38 ]

Syrup? Pancakes? Are we going for brunch?

Just kidding - yeah, it does look like a "themed" Denny's but I'm going anyway. The Hula Girls and a new mug by Squid and Tiki Farm is good enough reason for tellin'. Maybe if we chip away at him . . .

Just needs some palm trees and cut the light in the place by half or so and you are well on your way. Hell, for music and a mug I'll go to Dennys!

The Royal Hawaiian is now taking reservations for the event. If you want to have a table I highly suggest that you make your reservations ASAP!!

GT

What time is the event?

On 2008-11-23 15:15, GO TIKI wrote:
What time is the event?

The event is from 4pm to 10pm :)

Regarding reservations, the first person I talked to said they were not serving their full menu until 5:00. Then the owner called me back and said, no, he was going to have his staff come in early for the event so they will be serving their full menu starting at 4:00. He said some of his staff had not been aware of it yet, but he was filling them in end of last week. So if you call and they tell you 5:00 - that's the situation ~ go ahead and make the res for 4:00 if you want.

WooHoo, I haven't met you yet, so I'll look for you there! Tiki Geeki and I will be there with our respective kids. Gotta get the next generation raised up right.

TM

On 2008-11-24 12:49, Kiki von Tiki wrote:
Gotta get the next generation raised up right.

Amen to that!!

On 2008-11-24 16:11, lucas vigor wrote:

Amen to that!!

With White Walls and Fake Tikis!?

Arrr..rrr.. rrr.....

I have never actually been there, can you believe that? We use to always drive by it when I was a kid, but never stopped. This will be my first time....

On 2008-11-25 05:24, RevBambooBen wrote:

Amen to that!!

Arrr..rrr.. rrr.....

No, Ben, with great Hula Swing music from the Hula Girls and a cool new release mug. If I had a choice in the venue, I certainly would choose something more classic. My kid knows a fake from the real deal already, anyway. And hey, I'm the one who said this place needed YOU, so don't be cranky, 'k? XOXOXOXO!!!!! Kiki v.

TM

Bumpy

I'm not going to SF so I will be there.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

WooHoo, I haven't met you yet, so I'll look for you there! Tiki Geeki and I will be there with our respective kids. Gotta get the next generation raised up right.

WooHoo! Looking forward to meeting you and your Ohana :)

On 2008-11-25 12:56, Kiki von Tiki wrote:

On 2008-11-25 05:24, RevBambooBen wrote:

Amen to that!!

Arrr..rrr.. rrr.....

No, Ben, with great Hula Swing music from the Hula Girls and a cool new release mug. If I had a choice in the venue, I certainly would choose something more classic. My kid knows a fake from the real deal already, anyway. And hey, I'm the one who said this place needed YOU, so don't be cranky, 'k? XOXOXOXO!!!!! Kiki v.

Cranky??

Don't get me started!

They need to change the name to the " Un-royal hawaiian!"

...at least KONA had the balls to ditch Sams!

White walls and Tiki...DO NOT WORK!!!!!!!

...back to the HULA GIRLS and the MUG........

Hey Ben,
what about that TV screen in Frankies?
did you tell them that that is a major no no?
just saying....

Jeff(btd)

On 2008-12-03 07:46, bigtikidude wrote:
Hey Ben,
what about that TV screen in Frankies?
did you tell them that that is a major no no?
just saying....

Jeff(btd)

Jeff,

That's why you clean pools and always will clean pools.

( ...and live with your parents....and complain about money......etc.

2--- 47" flat screens !!!!!

Not 1.

and they show Sweet Videos!!! ( kinda like the double down but a lil' more tiki)

......and,,,,,if a HI_ROLLAR WANTS TO WATCH A GAME.....THEY WILL PROVIDE THE SERVICE!

is a HI_ROLLAR
like a Hi-Roller?
just wonderin...
" Un-royal hawaiian"
Classic!

TM

I hadda friend who cleaned pools, and was a coach for the North Valley Little League...oh wait, that was just a movie!!

http://www.myspace.com/thehulagirlsband

Anyway.... The Hula Girls..... LIVE at the un (ahem) Royal Hawaiian this Sunday. Gonna be fun.
By the way... TVs in ANY bar are fine with me if they are playing something that ENHANCES the vibe of the environment.... Not sports... not the News....not America's Funniest Home Videos....

but........ Surf....Hula.....Burlesque.....hot rods....midgets......right on..... you get the idea.....
See you Sunday!

What time are The Hula Girls Playing???

is Squid gonna be there to sign his mugs?

I'll be there if my Parents let me outta the house,
Too bad I can't eat because I'm broke,

Ben's right, maybe I should get into doing Tiki Decor, and steal some of his business.
:wink:
:lol:

Jeff(bigtikidude)

J

... 2 days eh? runs for the airport

Jimzip :D

T

On 2008-12-04 19:58, WooHooWahine wrote:
What time are The Hula Girls Playing???

I saw them mention they have two long sets, first one starts at 5:30pm. If any of you see a father and 8yr son duo with tiki shirts, kickin' it with their mugs and Kiki von Tiki... be sure to stop by and say Aloha! Would love to meet everyone on the boards in person.

The flyer on 1st page says event runs from 4 pm to 10 pm.

I will be there at 4.
I'm a big guy with long hair and goatee,

Bamboo Ben likes TVs in tiki bars and white walls,
and his mom dresses him funny.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

On 2008-12-06 17:44, bigtikidude wrote:
The flyer on 1st page says event runs from 4 pm to 10 pm.

I will be there at 4.
I'm a big guy with long hair and goatee,

Bamboo Ben likes TVs in tiki bars and white walls,
and his mom dresses him funny.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

And I understand he thinks he's a pirate, right?

TM

Our sets are not exactly "long" (we are a relatively new band) and we are not the main attraction at this fiesta...but we hope everyone has a good time regardless!! Hopefully one of the other girls can post here and nail down our starting time (I have no clue, I just know what time I need to report to Sgt. Bong's house). As usual, they point, I shoot.
I will be bringing a compilation CD of some of the more exotic "exotica" and more obscure lounge recordings in my collection, to play before, during our break and after. Though I kind of wish Jeff the Pool Cleaner was Dejaying..he has excellent taste in music and is an expert on exotica, surf and lounge!

I wouldnt say im an expert on Exotica I just know what I like, I wish I had way more, see you guys at 3:30 ish

Jeff(bigtikidude)

T

Well, I had a great time. Thanks Hula Girls, my son was so excited to get his first mug and was thrilled to meet some of the band... that just made his night! The atmosphere is far better than those pictures show... for the record, the walls aren't white. :wink: Very enjoyable place. My only two complaints were they were playing football on the 4 tvs around the bar even during the music, but more importantly, the drinks left a lot to be desired. My son was able to have a virgin Lapu Lapu, "the Lapu flavored mix" as the waitress said. I'm guessing my Lapu Lapu was the mix and rum? I hope she meant 'mix' as in pre-made mixture of juices rather than from a can or something. Yikes. It definitely needed more rum even if it wasn't a canned mix. shrug Great music and a nice tiki mug. Win/Win in my book.

agreed my 1st Lapu Lapu seemed like all mix no booze, I said something and my 2nd one was super strong. but didnt really Taste like a correct Lapu Lapu.
a guy at our table ordered a Mai Tai.
and damned if it wasnt really close to a trader Vics Mai Tai, and strong wow!

the band was great,
fair turn out of tiki peeps for a sun night.

I wont say its amazing place, but I thought its really better looking than the pics elsewhere on TC.
I wont go there all the time, but if there is an event or band I will.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

TM

Thank you Royal Hawaiian for letting us play! And thank you TC'ers who showed up on a cold Sunday night!

I never had the Lapu-Lapu. Due to the ecomomy, several of us broke the cardinal rule and drank BEER out of our tiki mugs! The beer was mighty fine, I think!

The decor was better then I thought it would be, but it does not look old/vintage. Obviously an updated look.

The service staff were very cool! Nice and friendly.

I saw lot's of cameras...let's see some pix!!

The place is actually pretty good inside.... I was pleasently surprised... The Royal Hawaiian isn't what it once was, but it is a very nice, clean looking place with lotsa OA tikis and poles and stuff... It's probably going to be a full pick up spot though. Full club-style on the weekends... No thanks.

Anyway, we had a blast playing there last night. Super fun time. Thanks to eveyone who came out and supported the event. Thanks to Holden for getting us the gig and putting out another classic mug.

Some pics by our photo friend, Just Nicole.

It was pretty rad that when we were leaving, a guy came up to me and was like, 'I thought there were gonna be Hula Girls here tonight...'
I said............ 'You just saw them.'

waka waka waka,
:wink:

fun time last night.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

T

Had a great time last night. Just wish we could have stayed longer then dinner.

Thanks everyone,
Tikitatt

Yup.
....for more pictures of our drummer, Dominic, and the rest of the show last night, check out the photos on our mySpace page...
http://www.myspace.com/thehulagirlsband

T

showed up late last night, around 8:45 or 9. The Hula Girls were done playing already, which was a bummer. Hopefully I'll be able to catch a show some other time.

I gotta say I think they did alright on the remodel. I seem to remember hearing that the building had some code issues that had to be dealt with. Not sure if those only had to be fixed if they tried remodeling or what. It's a pretty drastic change, though.
I would change the classification from old school to neo-tiki; reminded me a lot of mr. tiki's down in SD.

Fellas,that was another gret time! It was great to see some of the TCers that I've met before (hi PolyPop!), met Spermy and met all the guys in the band, had some good food and grog. The ribs were killer. Yep that Lapu was def not an original grog log Lapu (go see Marie at Buster's in LB for a killer Lapu Lapu), but I'll let it go. Very nice mug, my daughter is way excited to have her very own first mug, too. Great design by Squid! I have some pics too I'll post for ya tomorrow. I also did not think the remodel was as bad as some let on. Yeah, it could use some thatch and bamboo, but there were some great tiki all over the place. Love yas! Kiki v.

[ Edited by: Kiki von Tiki 2008-12-08 22:39 ]

Pages: 1 2 49 replies