Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

SUNDAY! 2 year anniversary Chop - Dec 7th

Pages: 1 43 replies

M

Two years ago, as a follow up to the Left Coast Oki Oki, I opened up my house for a get together to do some carving and learn from each other.
It's been an incredible two years, I've made so many friends and learned so many new things it's absolutely mind-blowing.

To celebrate - it's time for another chop at my place! Sunday, Dec 7th. There's no Charger game that day, so there's no excuses for missing it. :)

Chime in if you can make it! I can setup space for clay working, painting, carving, or whatever.

Mieko

tropicaldesignsbymieko.com

[ Edited by: mieko 2008-12-05 08:41 ]

T

Yay Mieko!
I attended my first chop at Babalu's a week ago today! I'm planning to come to the anniversary chop! I'm trying to get Manuel come to this one too...

Thanks for doing this on a Sunday, Mieko. I'm still working six day weeks, and there's no way I'd rather spend my one day off than carving with this fabulous group of people.

I make this one for sure! :D

B

Totally In!!! 2 years....wow...

A chop on Pearl Harbor day? GREAT idea, Mieko! I'm in, man.

B

I'm in.

ill be there. bummed i missed the last chop

count the cannibal family in .

Ditto Kate!

I'm in Meiko... may I bring a friend?

JT

Count me in!! I'll be there.

F

Okay, I am a total newbie here, but I had heard that getting to one of these is a great way to get some hints with carving. Are these open to folks just trying to learn a thing or two? Thanks!

B

im in
i want to carv ,chip and play in clay

famvac this is the place to come to learn how to
do this stuff

plus the new guy has to bring the donuts

On 2008-11-24 19:17, hodadhank wrote:
Ditto Kate!

I'm in Meiko... may I bring a friend?

I may try and make this as long as Hank doesn't bring that weird kid and promises to wear the bird suit again.

M

On 2008-11-25 16:47, famvac wrote:
Okay, I am a total newbie here, but I had heard that getting to one of these is a great way to get some hints with carving. Are these open to folks just trying to learn a thing or two? Thanks!

Absolutely - all of us were newbies trying to learn a thing or two not that long ago. :)

I'll PM you my address (as well as anyone else that I know that might not have it - bug me if you don't get it and need it).

I will have food and some drinks, but we do encourage people to bring something to share.

It's also a great place to learn about different tools, I'm always happy to share my tools.

House Rules: no young kids (don't want anyone getting hurt), limited chainsaw work (front driveway is the only decent place for it, and don't want to make the neighbors too angry).

On 2008-11-26 11:22, mieko wrote:

House Rules: no young kids (don't want anyone getting hurt), limited chainsaw work (front driveway is the only decent place for it, and don't want to make the neighbors too angry).

Can we bring guns? :P

On 2008-11-26 16:14, 4WDtiki wrote:

how bout guns with chainsaws on them :P

On 2008-11-26 16:14, 4WDtiki wrote:

I always have a gun......your tax dollars bought it for me. I use it instead of power tools.

M
mieko posted on Fri, Dec 5, 2008 8:45 AM

If anyone still needs directions, please let me know!

My parents are cooking up some Kalua pork, and we'll make up some musubi's the day of.

Is anyone bringing clay? I can setup a table for it if needed.

T

I can't make it to this chop, wish I could. Everyone have a safe and fun time.

ill be there, but probably not for very long, I need to drop of some art to eric. finals week starts monday for me so i have alot of work to do

:/

B
Babalu posted on Fri, Dec 5, 2008 2:25 PM

Hey Mieko...the table would be nice...thanks!

I will will be either glazing or working in clay...maybe both?

There are several folks where I have your mugs ready to glaze...Clysdalle, Thomas, Eric the Red, Billy, Cammo, Buzzy. Some of you still have mugs drying right now. My problem for this Chop is that I have way more glaze choices at my studio than I can bring over there to Mieko's for you to glaze. You can either show up at my house prior to the Chop and pick your colors, and I'll bring them over, or catch me some other time on the glazing thingy.

SUNDAY YAY!

BUMMER!
i'll be at home
recovering from Massive Tiki Burnout
after the previous night's Tonga Hut...
so have fun kids!
I was sad that i wouldn't be able to see darling Mieko,but i get to see her the following week!
Create great things,kids!

T

Just finished the season with my show, would have liked to make this one but if I can't bring my son I guess I'm out. Have fun ya'll take pics!

TBird, you've brought your son to chops before.......I'm sure Mieko meant LITTLE kids that don't understand boundaries. Besides, he's not a kid, he's a carver, man.

M
Moki posted on Fri, Dec 5, 2008 7:38 PM

Hey Mieko.....I sent you a PM.

M
mieko posted on Sat, Dec 6, 2008 2:40 PM

Hey Tbird - your kid is fine - he's old enough to know not to run around and get into trouble. I just can't handle kids that could run around a chainsaw, or pickup sharp chisels not knowing what they're doing.

Come by anytime after 9am. I have a bunch of Xmas decorations on our front lawn, so it should be pretty easy to find.

Mieko

MN

I should make it. I'll be coming in from a mtb ride.
Erik the Red

Z
Zaya posted on Sun, Dec 7, 2008 8:11 AM

I'm not going to be able to make it to the chop today. :( I have family visiting from Arizona, and it's our last day to be together. I hope you guys have a great day, and I'll see you next time!

Zaya

It's noon and I just got home from work.......I'm bushed. I still may make it, but I'm pretty destroyed.

woke up this morning to a flat on my truck, i dont think im going to be able to make it, sorry meiko! hope everyone has a blast though. and sorry eric, ill just drive the tiki up to the gallery early day of

JT

Mieko, Thank you for hosting today. Good to see and talk to everyone. Some tasty food!!!

Buzzy's drum

"Happy #2!!"

C

Oh man...there was cake carving too!!! Now I'm even more bummed. Damn...I was wrecked after vending at a hot rod show all Saturday so I just huddled up on the couch and watched football. Now that the show season is done, I can sort myself out and get back on track. Great looking stuff guys!

B
Babalu posted on Mon, Dec 8, 2008 7:18 AM

Mieko and crew...that was a REALLY nice time! 2 years...wow!

Wonderful to see Ona, Moki and the new baby kiddo.

Sorry, I had my camera there and didn't take one shot.

Peace.

On 2008-12-08 06:36, Clysdalle wrote:
Oh man...there was cake carving too!!!

Brother, you don't know the half of it! I think Bowana really broke some new ground yesterday. Meiko you are a wonderful host. Thank you so much... but check your freezer.

Had a great time but also decided not to be the shutterbug this time. Only three chizlers this time. It's exciting to see so many mediums being explored but was happy to have Buzzy and Erik breathing fire down my neck to keep my mallet moving.

I feel very blessed that Buzzy showed and CARVED.

Sure I've heard the legends of a sunglassed Buzzy sitting through entire chops with arms folded. I think somebody even held a mirror under his nose once to make sure he was still breathing, but now I understand... If YOU carved as fast and continuously as Buzzy you'd relish the break too! Like the terminator when Buzz is in work mode he just doesn't stop. Particularly inspiring.

Augie Marquis was a suprise guest carver strapped to his handlers like some sort of giggly Master Blaster. I imagined he was going to carve by controlling Moki's hands with baby-talk verbal commands, but he ended up just loafing around with Ona drinking rootbeer floats.:D

Happy Birthay Chop Baby! Welcome to the Terrible Two's!

Really bummed to have missed this one, but was just way too destroyed, man. Who's doing the Baby New Year Chop? You know, we're damned lucky........in some parts of the country, people are knee-deep in snow, but we're outside, chopping tikis in short-sleeves. Now all we need are some decent sports teams(like I care anyways), and we're set!

B
Bowana posted on Mon, Dec 8, 2008 8:33 PM

Great party, Mieko! Always nice getting together with everybody! Wow, already two years?
You're the hostess with the mostess! :)

Bowana

MM

Hi Everyone!

Here are the good pics I took of the chop. (I hope)
The Hostess

Getting Started

New Faces

Old & New Faces

Too Much Talking

Whats in the Box

2 Artists

3 Carvers

Christmas Ornament

Drummer

Finished Mug

Reading Tiki Magazine

Santa Carver

The Carver

Another Drummer

MM

This is What Bowana spent part of his day doing. It was a request by a MAD CARVER also known as Hodahank.
The Vision

Shall we Eat it or Carve it?

On 2008-12-08 12:22, hodadhank wrote:

Sure I've heard the legends of a sunglassed Buzzy sitting through entire chops with arms folded. I think somebody even held a mirror under his nose once to make sure he was still breathing, but now I understand...

I was just pretending to be asleep during that whole mirror incident. When I saw Bowana trying to stick that mirror under my nose, I naturally thought he was trying to offer me a rail of coke. I thought it would be more polite to feign sleep than to refuse his generous offer.

Now you really understand....and you know why Bowana works so fast!
Buzzy Out!

B
Bowana posted on Tue, Dec 9, 2008 7:10 AM

On 2008-12-08 23:33, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:

On 2008-12-08 12:22, hodadhank wrote:

Sure I've heard the legends of a sunglassed Buzzy sitting through entire chops with arms folded. I think somebody even held a mirror under his nose once to make sure he was still breathing, but now I understand...

I was just pretending to be asleep during that whole mirror incident. When I saw Bowana trying to stick that mirror under my nose, I naturally thought he was trying to offer me a rail of coke. I thought it would be more polite to feign sleep than to refuse his generous offer.

Now you really understand....and you know why Bowana works so fast!
Buzzy Out!

Oh well, ya snooze, ya loose, my sleeping friend! "Buzzy Out" takes on a whole new meaning!
Now that Hank turned me on to the fine art of corn dog carvin', I'm faster than a speeding bullet.
(btw nice pics, Diana!)

...The drums!...The drums!...

[ Edited by: Bowana 2008-12-09 07:11 ]

B

mieko
thanks for the great chop!!!
it has been a yr for me hangin with you guys,and after alot
of tiki tips and help from you guys i cant believe some of
the cool stuff i have been able to make
to be able to pick the brains of all the great artists that
show up is really great
looking forward to yr 2

T

Wow! What an amazing day! Had a great time hanging out with many talented tiki artists (Bowana's tikified corndog was awesome!), and to top it all off, I got to drive away with a car-full of great tiki art for the show this Friday...

Then over to Royal Hawaiian for the mug release (saw Jeff BigTikiDude on our way out of there "Hi Jeff!") and inexplicably ended up a Kona for Mai Tais and Lapu Lapus on our way back to LA... well, actually quite explicable... it was sort of on the way... and Mai Tais...

One of our most tiki-packed days ever!

Mahalo Mieko!

Pages: 1 43 replies