Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Anyone know where these tikis might have come from?

Pages: 1 15 replies

We saw these tikis in a store. The only information they could tell us was that they came from somewhere in Illinois. They each stand about six or seven feet tall. The finish is pretty weathered, and they were once painted but the paint barely remains, so they were probably located outdoors.

Anyone have any idea where they might have come from?

..never mind that...where are they and how much are they asking!!

...they could have come from anywhere...i would say they are from an actual old school place like kon tiki ports, tradewinds or one of the many places here in chicago that were thriving back in the day as opposed to some asian themed place...i can tell you where they are not from..

they are not from trader vics(palmer house)...kona kai (the decor is still in there and i don't recall these)...cyril's house of tiki....hala kahiki....chef shangri-la....tong's tiki hut....

....good luck in your search!

C
Cammo posted on Wed, Nov 26, 2008 9:19 AM

They come from TREES!

Do I win a prize?

..after a quick phone call i was able to track these down....just bought the maori tiki over the phone with a credit card...gonna pick em up soon!! thanks for the tip albino...

hmmm, it's possibull Obama left them behind for his move. Nay seriously brethren.
Wherever they came from they look like nice collectibles.

wow...great score!~ is the other one still available?

They're vintage Oceanic Arts carvings. Nice find.

On 2008-11-26 09:42, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
..after a quick phone call i was able to track these down....just bought the maori tiki over the phone with a credit card...gonna pick em up soon!! thanks for the tip albino...

So, did you pick up the tiki yet? Got any pics of him in his new home?

Hey, this tiki sure looks like the same one from your photo!

It does look very similar, except the one in the photo has three fingers and the tiki that I found has four fingers. It also has shell eyes that are triangular in shape which I had never seen before.

TD

Tippsy, i took a close look at your Moari on Sat. and it looks to me like this piece was outside with its back against a wall for sometime. but not in direct weather. There was some weathering on the front sides,but the back is still in good shape. If that helps on figureing where it came from.I asked Stuart and he said he did not know where they came from. I think maybe KON-TIKI.

"Pets are welcome,Children 'MUST' be on leash" TD

[ Edited by: TIKI DAVID 2008-12-09 08:51 ]

..i decided i no longer want the tiki....if anyone wants it they can contact the original poster for the store's location and pick it up for themselves...it's not paid for ..

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2008-12-09 12:04 ]

It is a nice piece ,but Stuart tends to be just a little high on his pricing.
although everything was half price this last sat. and may still be.

[ Edited by: TIKI DAVID 2008-12-09 12:09 ]

On 2008-12-09 12:07, TIKI DAVID wrote:
Stuart tends to be just a little high on his pricing.

Yes, just a little high. :lol: We were quoted $6500 on the maori and $3500 on the other tiki. What prices did Stuart quote you?

[ Edited by: albino tiki 2008-12-09 17:34 ]

the problem is uneducated sellers.....i'm sure the seller thinks these are actual ancient artifacts (that happened to be used in an old tiki bar like kon-tiki )when they are probably american made oceanic arts decor from back in the day.....alot of old tikis tend to get treated like northwest coast totem poles in that the seller assumes they are old and of signifigance when in fact they are probably not......thus they price them like they belong in a museum when in fact...they do not. antique dealers need to realize that most of the tiki decor used in vintage bars was not imported from far off lands but copied and remade here in the states.....educating themselves they can learn to tell the difference between an actual historical relic and a vintage prop no more than 40 years old or so and stop embarrassing themselves with these outrageous prices......

TD

well it may have been part of their 50% off sale, after he told me $1800.00 on the other one, i did not bother asking about the moari.
he does have a lot of great stuff in there.
Arcitectural Artifacts and the Golden Triangle are must see's, right up there with Hala-Kaliki and the Chef. when in Chicago.

Pages: 1 15 replies