Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Know someone who worked at the Tikki Room, Hollywood 1968?

Pages: 1 13 replies

Did you work or do you know someone who worked at the Tikki Room of Hollywood in 1968? I’m desperately looking for a man possibly named Philip with a long Hawaiian last name who was too skinny to go to the Vietnam War. He lived and worked in Hollywood at the Tikki Room and was married with one son and another child on its way in 1968.
Hi my name is Jason “Webber” and this man I have been searching for all my life is the father I have never met and I am the son he doesn’t even know exists! I just turned 40 and I am afraid that if I wait any longer to find him I shall never know him. But this has proven very difficult with out a last name or even a certain first name. My mothers name was Patricia Sheldon at the time they met and they had only seen each other a couple times. My mother has passed away now on Thanksgiving 2 years ago and I have next to no family now. I would very much appreciate any information anyone has as I have had a need to know who my father is for so very long now. It is a void in my life that has had a great impact on me even before I ever even knew of his absence. I can be emailed at: [email protected] or phoned at: (626)232-3140 or (323)275-1578. Thank you, most Sincerely Jason ?.

Bro, good luck finding your father.
TC Ohana, what do we know about a Tikki room in 1968? Maybe he can start there?

Jason, I don't think a place called "The Tikki Room" ever existed in Hollywood, I fear that is just a generic term (and misspelled at that) for one of the many Polynesian establishments in the area at that time, a la "he worked at that Tiki Room in Hollywood then". You would have to be able to get the specific address and correct name for the place to get any further in your quest.

Thank you bananabobs. As far as the name of the place my mother has passed away so there is no one left with any way to verify that information for me, but she said that was the name of the place for many years. Could it have been a place say in L.A closer to downtown?

A

We still should be able to narrow it down. How many tiki places were there in Hollywood in 1968?

• Don the Beachcomber
  • Seven Seas

What else?

Here's a couple more that I believe were around back in 68' in the la area/ hollwood..

Tiki-Ti
Clifton's
The Luau

Good Luck with your search!!

Aloha

A

On 2008-12-10 13:47, beachbumz wrote:
Here's a couple more that I believe were around back in 68' in the la area/ hollwood..

Tiki-Ti
Clifton's
The Luau

Since only Buhen family members have worked at Tiki Ti, I think we can eliminate that one from the list. No skinny guys with really long Hawaiian last names there.

Good point...

Jason, this is a longshot question, but you didnt server in the Navy, did you?

I just want to thank everyone for his or her interest and support. There is something oddly familiar about the sound of the Tiki Ti. When I was 14 I learned that the man who I thought was my father, Mr. Webber, wasn’t. It wasn’t a shock really. My mother had already divorced him when I was 7 and we had moved some distance from him, so my relationship with this man was already estranged. No in fact it was a relief in some ways, as it explained some things. I guess in some ways I always knew he wasn’t my father. It wasn’t any physical differences that added speculation, as Mr. Webber was American Indian and German (my mother being Scots/Irish) so I looked very much like I could have been his son, funny enough more so than my younger brother who is Mr. Webber's actual son. No, the difference was inside and I never felt like I fit in with the Webbers. I am very much my mother's son. More like my mother than my brother is. But there is still a big part of me that is a mystery. A part that knows no side of any family I know. It is a hole in my life like I have said that I have always felt even before I knew to know. I found out this information by accident when I was 14 (eaves dropping). My mother never intended for me to ever find out really. I believe it was because of her embarrassment for messing around with a married man and then fooling another into believing I was his son when I wasn’t. So what I did learn of my father was told to me in pieces over the years by a reluctant mother about somewhat subconsciously repressed memories, but the Tiki Ti does ring a bell somehow. I myself have wrestled with the decision for years about getting a hold of my biological father. Having some of the fears I hear that are common with this situation, such as rejection, fear of being worthy or wanted, ect. As well as disturbing his life or causing him troubles, as I know he was married and has children already. So I finally settled on trying to make contact looking at it this way, if I am his son, then we must have similar thoughts and feelings, and I know if the situation was the same for me, I would want to know my own son no matter who or what he was or how much troubles it might stir up from the past. I can only hope like I am my mother and am too like my father in this thought. Again I want to thank any and all for your help, continued help and any other help in the future.
No, Deckhand Davy, I was never in the Navy. Why do you ask?

Opps! I'm sorry I missed the post about the Buhen family and the Tiki Ti. The name Tiki Ti does sound familiar but the truth is I could have heard it at some time, any time along my road of questioning any one I thought to over the years. You seem to know something about these places and times so I will follow along with you on your train of thought. Thank you again for helping me with this.

I served with a Jason Weber in the Navy some time ago and he would be about your age now. Small world :)

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-12-13 20:33 ]

Any pictures of your Mothers past? Even if it was not the Tiki bar your mentioning, perhaps some pictures of restaurants that may spark some memories. What last name is on your birth certificate? Get a copy of the actual birth certificate from the county or city as the Hospital ones are sometimes different, mine was...
You are going to have to dig up some more clues, relatives that would know, friends of your mothers? Perhaps people who worked with your Mom?

Pages: 1 13 replies