Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Grand Poobah's Oasis Update

Pages: 1 2 3 4 164 replies

wow that is awesome keep up the good work

wow that is awesome keep up the good work

Been getting pounded by terrible weather this winter. It has been hard to get work done as it has been too cold. Her is what I have managed to get done.

sorry about the pictures if some are oriented sideways. thanks for looking

C
cy posted on Wed, Feb 5, 2014 8:09 AM

It's funny that the simplicity of a moai is hard to capture. The hands on your latest are outstanding GP

Here are a few pics of some work I have finally been able to put on line.

after the long winter I was able to finally get some warm weather to work in the garage.
The weather really wreaked havoc out back.

I decided to give this guy a braided ponytail.

I gave him a sword, sash, and a peg leg too.

took this idea from a movie. He also has a gold tooth but the contrast doesn't stand out as I hoped.

This guy took over as the new deck tiki...I think I mentioned that a while ago...move the old guy around the corner.

Great page of killer art

Jon

H

Very nice carve.

Nice carve.
Paint & finish really show it off.

C
cy posted on Thu, Jul 17, 2014 3:26 PM

Sweet carve Poohbah.

It has been a busy summer. I have spent a lot of it adding a beach to my yard.

I started by building a third waterfall.

I liked how different the Pirate Tiki had been. I wanted to continue and make something a little different. I am a big James Bond fan and I got an idea after watching live and let die. I wanted a tiki to place at the base of the waterfall so I designed a Voodoo themed tiki. I liked how other artists have used colors such as greens and blues in their designs. I figured I should take a risk. I found out that Lowe's offers a Cabot stain in blue. I designed this guy with a snake that is wrapped around his waist. I gave him scales and tried out the blue stain. He slightly yellowed after I added a spar urethane to him.

I added a few black scales

I also gave this one a voodoo themed hat.

and a voodoo doll

here he is

I also was intrigued by a Brad Parker skeleton tiki sketch. I wanted to somehow incorporate a similar idea. I decided rather than just make a skeleton like tiki I would include it on the back.

I also wanted to make a better surfboard than one I had previously made. I am finding that they are much easier to sand!!!!!

[ Edited by: Grand Poobah 2014-09-07 20:05 ]

[ Edited by: Grand Poobah 2014-09-07 20:12 ]

C
cy posted on Mon, Sep 8, 2014 8:02 AM

Great ideas and execution Poobs! The hands are outstanding.

Several years ago I had made these matching tikis for my backyard. The weather really had beaten them up. The heads really began to rot. I couldn’t bring them inside, I didn’t want to give up on them, and I just couldn’t urethane over the problem.

I have had to go back and insert a wedge in a tiki whose check had grown too wide for my liking. I thought I might be able to do the same. Due to too much rot, I decided that I would have to actually decapitate them! The first guy actually lost his entire head. I also decided that while I was at I would change the color scheme as well.

The next guy was not so bad. I would only have to scalp him. I also decided to change things up and had a lot more fun with him. I wanted to carry the theme a little further by creating a bone like lighting fixture. I wanted the hand to hold a candle, but I didn’t want the candle to be real. I was hoping to find a solar candle that looked as if it had dripping wax. No luck. I tried online, and was especially hopeful with Halloween around the corner. I decided to make my own using PVC and hot glue. I them inserted a battery operated tea light inside and it passes for what I was looking for. Then I made sure to really coat these guys good. (15 coats of spar urethane!)

Finally I have been recoating all of my tiki(s) with more coats of spar as I don’t want this to happen to them.

C
cy posted on Sun, Oct 18, 2015 5:47 PM

Outstanding work as always Poobah, thanks for keeping us abreast of your latest!

Really nice save on the two tikis.

H

Nice carvings, I really love the hand you carved, looks great.

Thanks everyone, I have been away from carving for a bit. It is feeling good to be back in it.

8T

Nice work on saving and replacing the rotted parts. I really like those tikis (size and design). I have found that multiple coats of urethane aren't enough to protect long term when carvings are exposed to exterior conditions. What I have done is to use a tube of clear silicone caulk and just slather the top of the carving. It really helps deter water penetration. Thanks for sharing your work.

It has been awhile. But here a few I have completed. This one was mad for my dad. He was a high school baseball coach for years and baseball has always been a part of his life. I had made him one with a martini glass, but he let it fall over and it became open season on it.

I have been dealing with rot more and more lately. This summer has been terrible with the rain. Many of the old tikis I have had to bring back in to repair. Another was so badly rotted on the inside that I had to cut off the head and will have to replace it as I did earlier with two others. I am at a loss as keep upping the layers of spar. I am now caulking every check and recently came across a clear and paintable flex seal. Here is another guy. He too has been taken a beating.

I apologize if these come out sideways as they were right side up on my computer by loaded sideways. I hope everyone is well.

C
cy posted on Tue, Aug 21, 2018 8:13 AM

Great to see you are still carving Poobah, thanks for posting, outstanding as always.

T

You got some wicked skillz man, nice stuff!

Awesome
Welcome back

This only happens on the up and down pics
( Open up the pictures on your computer,
rotate them upside down, save it,
rotate them right side up, save it,
then you can post them and they will be in the proper position. )

Or
Only take sideways pics :)

Worst sound ever, slurp of an empty tiki mug through my straw!!!

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2018-09-18 11:48 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 164 replies