Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Roll Call: New Year's Eve with Tikiyaki Orchestra @ Kona

Pages: 1 2 3 96 replies

WooHoo! Only 16 more days until the last Party of 2008 with the Tikiyaki Orchestra at Konas. Who's going???

SoccerTiki and I can't wait :)

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2008-12-15 08:57 ]

T

I wish I could, but I have a gig that night.

Bringing the fez for this one... you know, since it's formal and all.

I think I'm gonna try to make it for a little bit.
but I gotta DJ at some stupid show that night.
:wink:

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I've been holding out hoping to score a hot date :wink:. If that doesn't pan out, I may join you guys there. I might even bring my girlfriend who is intrigued by all my tiki shenanigans but has never been, um, "exposed" as they say.

On 2008-12-15 16:25, TikiGeeki wrote:
Bringing the fez for this one... you know, since it's formal and all.

Yep, TG, it will definitely be a fez-worthy event!

JB

I think I might be filming some Exotica band that night.

Sounds like a rockin NY's party with the Tikiyaki Orchestra, can't wait to bring in the new year at Kona's.

On 2008-12-15 17:00, Kiki von Tiki wrote:
I've been holding out hoping to score a hot date :wink:

That's why I'm going with myself! BAM :lol:

CJ

Me and the girlfriend is a goin

On 2008-12-15 20:31, TikiGeeki wrote:

yeah, do hot date and tiki crowd belong in the same sentence?
that's why I'm cruzing solo too.
;-/
Jeff(bigtikidude)

I was forcefully persuaded at Spermy's Blowhole to attend this event. The strong arm tactics worked, and after getting the feeling back in my arm I was able to purchase tickets and make reservations. Looking forward to bringing in the New Year with some TC Ohana.

On 2008-12-15 21:10, bigtikidude wrote:

On 2008-12-15 20:31, TikiGeeki wrote:

yeah, do hot date and tiki crowd belong in the same sentence?
that's why I'm cruzing solo too.
;-/
Jeff(bigtikidude)

We need to all gather at a table... the "we're too hot, you'll just burst into flames if you get too close" table. As blinding as this much amazing might be contained in one place... we owe it to them. We don't want to intimidate them with their dates around. Let them have their night. But, that's just how I am... I'm a giver.

I meant that I'm in the not so hot category.
some of us have better body image than others it seems.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

WoooHooo! Let's get back to the Roll Call....Who else is in?????

The following people are in

Tikyaki
Marty the Lush
Soccertiki & WooHooWahine
Hinano_Paul & Mrs. Lurker
GoGo & Dani
Tigerlily
Makedamug
Big Tiki Dude
Joe Banks
Tikigeeki
Tikimango
Kikivon Tiki
CoCoJoe + 1
Iokona + 1
Auburn Hills + 1
Kick the reverb + 1
Hiphiphula

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2008-12-16 21:31 ]

Rumor is that The Eliminators may surf by around 9 PM.

On 2008-12-16 20:56, WooHooWahine wrote:

Tikyaki
Marty the Lush
GoGo & Dani
Tigerlily
Makedamug
Big Tiki Dude
Joe Banks
Tikigeeki
Tikimango
Kikivon Tiki
CoCoJoe + 1
Iokona + 1
Auburn Hills + 1
Kick the reverb + 1
Hiphiphula

Huh, wha? Did I say I was going WooHoo? Or are you working your WooHooVooDoo sneaky charms on me? :wink:

CJ

Tikyaki
Marty the Lush
GoGo & Dani
Tigerlily
Makedamug
Big Tiki Dude
Joe Banks
Tikigeeki
Tikimango
Kikivon Tiki
CoCoJoe + 1
Iokona + 1
Auburn Hills + 1
Kick the reverb + 1
Hiphiphula

We needs more people!!

T

Manuel and I just bought our tickets! We are so there!
Count us ALL THE WAY IN!!!

http://ericoctober.com

[ Edited by: tobunga 2008-12-16 23:31 ]

WoooHooo! Only 14 more days!! Make sure you buy your tickets ASAP!!

Tikyaki
Marty the Lush
GoGo & Dani
Tigerlily
Makedamug
Big Tiki Dude + 4
Joe Banks
Tikigeeki
Tikimango
Kikivon Tiki
CoCoJoe + 1
Iokona + 1
Auburn Hills + 1
Kick the reverb + 1
Hiphiphula
Tobunga & Manuel
Tiki Ray & Tikiniki

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2008-12-17 16:50 ]

Looks likes a small group. How many are staying at the Oceanview Motel?

add a + 4 or + 6
next to my name.
need to bend some arms to find out who is going of my family.

and Im not staying at the Motel,
but at a friends house that I am house sitting for the holiday.
no,no afterparty. ;-0

Jeff(bigtikidude)

So far I have no takers (aka "hot dates" - apparently the guys I know are nothing but tepid :wink: ) for a private audience of my vivacious presence for New Year's Eve! LOL! No worries, we dateless "so hot we're cool, so cool we're hot" Tikiphiles will need to band together and grace the world with our smokin' hot lava presence. That means, you Big Tiki Dude and Tiki Geeki and whoever else is flying solo for this event. I'm still working on logistics for the care of comfort of my daughter, so I need to see if I can swing it before I put myself down as a solid yes for this one. If I go, you all have to dance with me, I don't take no for an answer. TikiGeeki can verify this fact!

I've got a room at Oceanview. Though, when I use street view in google maps, the one closest to Kona appears to be Motel 777, not Oceanview. Not like a little longer walk is that big of a deal, but I thought it might be worth noting. Anyone know for sure?

T

Good Lookin out. They are $14 cheaper than Ocean View ($65 plus tax), and even SHORTER Stumbling distance from KONA.

I changed my reservation to this place.

Oh, geez, now I have to make a NEW "Stumble Route" diagram :o

T

Tiki Kinniki and I will be there with bells on our toes and a bone in our noses . Ill be driving back to the I.E. that night. You dont have to worry about DUI's when you dont drink . In fact , if I dont drink today I will have 7 friggin' years sober tomorrow. SWEEEEET !!!!!!!

On 2008-12-17 13:48, TIKI-RAY wrote:
Tiki Kinniki and I will be there with bells on our toes and a bone in our noses . Ill be driving back to the I.E. that night. You dont have to worry about DUI's when you dont drink . In fact , if I dont drink today I will have 7 friggin' years sober tomorrow. SWEEEEET !!!!!!!

Congrats Ray, You have really tested and succeeded at that sobriety and temptation thing by hanging out at tiki bars and tiki events where one of the main attractions are booze and excess. Alot of drunk people can sometimes be annoying when your sober, so i would just like to apologize (for any of my shenanigans) and take my hat off to your will power and tolerance!

[ Edited by: Mongoloid 2008-12-17 17:45 ]

T

On 2008-12-17 13:48, TIKI-RAY wrote:

A very commendable feat Ray. Congratz !

TikiGeeki got me thinking about my room at Ocean View Motel. I looked online, and it seems that Motel 777 is the closest, then the Pacific View, followed by the Ocean View. I should warn people not to read the reviews of these three hotel/motels. Maybe you'll find good reviews, but the ones I read on Google Maps were all fairly poor. Cripes! I guess it doesn't matter, as long as I have a warm comfy place to drop my alcohol-saturated body at the end of the night, I'm just saying... cripes!

yeah I drove by last night, and noticed that the 777 was the one a few doors down. Big place.
does anybody have a link to the 777 motel?

dancing huh?
do people really wanna see me dance?
thats a scary thought.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2008-12-18 08:01 ]

This came in an Email Blast from KONA today....

"To our loyal guest,

Wishing you every happiness this Holiday Season and prosperity in the New Year. Thank you for being our customer. We look forward to continuing our relationship in the coming year.
The dining room at KONA will be closed to a private party. We will be offering New Years Eve Dinner and Festivities in our Hidden Village and High Chief Banquet Rooms along with the return of the Tikiyaki Orchestra, the surf band The Eliminators also Hula Dancers, Belly Dancers and even a D.J., all for a very low $15.00 cover. There will be a special dinner menu featuring the quality and value that KONA is known for and of course the talents of Chef Roy Hendrickson. We will even have a special drink menu featuring the classic tropical drink recipes from the days of Don the Beachcomber and Trader Vic's!

We thank you for your support and continued patronage

Happy New Year from all of us at KONA,

Susan & Chuck Purrington, KONA Restaurant Proprietors
Joe Zofrea, General Manager
Cindy Ludwig, Assistant General Manager
Roy Hendrickson, Chef"

CJ

On 2008-12-18 11:08, tikiyaki wrote:

"To our loyal guest,

Wishing you every happiness this Holiday Season and prosperity in the New Year. Thank you for being our customer. We look forward to continuing our relationship in the coming year.
The dining room at KONA will be closed to a private party. We will be offering New Years Eve Dinner and Festivities in our Hidden Village and High Chief Banquet Rooms along with the return of the Tikiyaki Orchestra, the surf band The Eliminators also Hula Dancers, Belly Dancers and even a D.J., all for a very low $15.00 cover. There will be a special dinner menu featuring the quality and value that KONA is known for and of course the talents of Chef Roy Hendrickson. We will even have a special drink menu featuring the classic tropical drink recipes from the days of Don the Beachcomber and Trader Vic's!

Roy Hendrickson, Chef"

I'm getting excited. They have really good food!

So where's the pre and post room party going to be? Has anyone created the tikiyaki drink yet?

On 2008-12-18 11:39, Coco Joe wrote:

On 2008-12-18 11:08, tikiyaki wrote:

"To our loyal guest,

Roy Hendrickson, Chef"

I'm getting excited. They have really good food!

So where's the pre and post room party going to be? Has anyone created the tikiyaki drink yet?

There IS a Tikiyaki Drink.

The recipe will be revealed inside the cover of our new CD coming out this spring.

On 2008-12-17 13:37, tikiyaki wrote:
Good Lookin out. They are $14 cheaper than Ocean View ($65 plus tax), and even SHORTER Stumbling distance from KONA.

I changed my reservation to this place.

Oh, geez, now I have to make a NEW "Stumble Route" diagram :o

I think I'm going to just keep the reservation at Ocean View. I booked via Expedia, which was $65 as well... so other than a slightly longer walk it's kind of all the same. To be honest, they are all so close, pretty much anywhere there should be fine. Yes, reading the reviews is pretty fun... they all are horrible... but then again, who would take time to write one if everything was fine? :wink:

They don't have a website, but here's contact info for 777.

Thanks Sir,
I will send that to my friends looking for cheap place to stay.

If I had tons of money and it probably wasn't all ready rented out.
I would love to stay in the water tower apt. across the street from Kona.
I saw a special on tv about it, very cool.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

On 2008-12-18 12:09, tikiyaki wrote:
There IS a Tikiyaki Drink.
The recipe will be revealed inside the cover of our new CD coming out this spring.

very cool, I just hope its not a Martini.
no offense to Marty Lush. but unless its got rum, that just ain't right.
Jeff(bigtikidude)

CJ

On 2008-12-18 18:48, bigtikidude wrote:
Thanks Sir,

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Man I forgot about that place being a rental. That would have been great to get a group to pitch in for

On 2008-12-18 18:53, Coco Joe wrote:

On 2008-12-18 18:48, bigtikidude wrote:
Thanks Sir,

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Man I forgot about that place being a rental. That would have been great to get a group to pitch in for

Back in the 80's I went to a couple of parties there. My first wife's (I'm collecting them...)BFF was dating a hot-shot doctor who was staying there and also doing lots of nose candy...aw, the 80's!

The place is tiny. kind of like living on a small yacht.

Still trying to get child care for new years. I think KONA needs a Don Brewski beat-down! WHOO!

[ Edited by: Don Brewski 2008-12-18 19:16 ]

I hope you can make it Don,er Brewski, er uh Jeff.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Hint...Hint.... :)

uh hint hint
if we didn't chit chat on here, this thread would be at the middle of the
page down.
so in a way we are reminding people about it by posting in it.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

S

On 2008-12-18 07:36, bigtikidude wrote:

do people really wanna see me dance?

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2008-12-18 08:01 ]

Jeff, I ABSOLUTELY want to see you dance!

Suzanne

why so you can laugh at me?
cause I know if I saw somebody dancing as bad as I do.
I would be laughing my ass off.
all depends on how drunk I get, its been known to happen on occasion.

hmmmm.
note to self, don't drink,
or drink a S ton, and then don't remember any of it.
Jeff(bigtikidude)

Ahh, BTD! Can't possibly be as bad as you think! Sometimes a little liquid courage is necessary, but at that point, who cares!

S

Chicks LOVE men who dance. I personally love it when they even TRY. So there you go. Besides, I think in your case, getting so blasted that you can't remember is a win win for everyone! You dance - girls win! You dance - you don't remember - you win!

YAY!

Suzanne

P.S. I wouldn't laugh at you for dancing.

good point,
but....
Even Crazy Al is a great dancer and I laugh at him when he dances.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

S

Well, you can laugh at yourself, and you can laugh at Al. :)

But I won't laugh at you. Well, hopefully.

Suzanne

GT

Hey Karen, Cyndi Lou and Mark from San Diego are coming, I don't see them on the list? They said they bought tickets? We are having a slumber party with them and Hiphiphula, At the Go Tiki trailer park estate! Looking forward to seeing You and Chris, :) Gogo and Dani

Pages: 1 2 3 96 replies