Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Washington State tiki sighting

Pages: 1 18 replies

B

While travelling along the 101 in Washington state recently, we came across this tiki just north of Hoodsport. It was at the entrance to a community called Colony Surf. It was sort of strange to come across a tiki this far up north carved from a very large tree- I would think a carving this size would be of a totem pole, not a tiki. Does anyone know the artist who created it and the history behind it?

That's a big old Brady Bunch Idol!

Brady bunch tiki idol thread

Buzzy Out!

R

I'm guessing its the famous NW tiki carver known as Gordon
Robert

Great find! But why would it be strange to find Tikis in Washington? Below are just four of the many Tikis native to Washington state:

Robert, are these also Gordon Tikis in your opinion? Who was this "Gordon" you speak off?

Here are a few more members of the rare "Tikiae Washingtonius" species:

T

Awesome pictures Bigbro!
Hey Robertiki, who is this Robert Gordon??
Tiki carver of the North West?
Would like to know about this carver and if you have any other references to him?

Mahalo, TabooDan

S

Un-named tiki and Sweetpea on grandma's back patio
Ballard WA.

On 2009-01-06 07:32, TabooDan wrote:
Awesome pictures Bigbro!
Hey Robertiki, who is this Robert Gordon??
Tiki carver of the North West?
Would like to know about this carver and if you have any other references to him?

Thanks!
I always knew Robert Gordon was cool, but now that he carved Tikis...! :wink:

B

Thank you Bay Park Buzzy, Robertiki, bigbrotiki and sweetpea for adding your input to my posting. To answer bigbrotiki's question as to why I found it strange to come across this tiki in Washington, a couple of reasons. Part of has to be my perspective, I'm a SoCal kid (this is arguably the center of contemporary tiki ) and I never experienced the original Poly Pop tiki craze. The other part has to do with the placing of this tiki, that part of Washington is pretty rural, real small town, the boonies. I just don't think that tiki would be appreciated in rural Washington as the entry icon to a gated community. We spent a week up in that area and I saw many a sculpted log along the lines of a lumberjack or grizzly bear. Then to see a tiki, it was kind of surprising. I imagine like seeing a totem pole in Tahiti.

I can imagine. Yet Seattle was/is a traditionally gateway to Hawaii, and the Puget Sound is Navy territory, so Tiki was not so out of place after all. Is the location of the "Colony Surf" close enough in the direction of the water to warrant that name?

W

Hoodsport is along the Hood Canal "...a natural, fjord-like inlet off Puget Sound..." on the Olympic Peninsula.

For me a tiki in Washington isn't as surprising as a tiger in Africa. As the above pictures show (and there are even more places that haven't yet been documented) there were many Polynesian themed properties in western Washington state. I think at one time there was even a manufacturer in Washington who made Tiki furniture and home decor.

The salt water and our location on the Pacific Rim most likely made the Polynesian theme seem a natural choice for developers of vacation properties and apartment complexes looking for something to make their projects stand out. And we had plenty of big logs to carve into tikis.

T

On 2009-01-07 01:13, woofmutt wrote:
I think at one time there was even a manufacturer in Washington who made Tiki furniture and home decor.

Witco was founded in Mount Vernon, WA, and Accoutrements (Archie McPhee Seattle) has produced plastic tiki items since the mid 90's. They are based in Mukilteo, WA. I am sure there are further examples to link tiki culture to Washington.

W

WITCO??? Huh, I'll have to look into that sometime. I wonder if anyone else has ever heard of them.

B

Yeah, the Hood Canal is a long sliver of a waterway that comes off the Puget Sound. Colony Surf is right along the canal and Highway 101. I don't think there is any surfing to be had around there, it seems pretty flat water. Although up the road in Port Angeles I was suprised to see a couple of surf shops and even cars with surfboards driving by in November (brrrr!). Next time I'm up there to visit the in-laws, I'll check out Colony Surf to see if it has more tikis. I can't remember if there was a security booth. But in the meantime, if anybody discovers more tikis at Colony Surf post them here!

I myserlf have surfed Hood Canal on several occasions even in the winter. There are a few spots with a consistant 2 ft wave. fun ride on a longboard.

B

But is there really rideable surf that far into the Hood Canal? Because if there is I'm bringing a board, a 4/3 with a hoody and boots!

a swell is going to travel all the way up Hood canal to Puget sound. to surf Hood canal look for a point and a wave will be on the East side.

T

Went north to meet a lady who danced hula from the early '60's to late '70's in this region in restaurants, lounges and lodges. Tani of Tani and the South Sea Islanders, here in a publicity shot from the early '60's.

As I walked down her sidewalk I found first an old fern wood tiki in remarkable shape,

a rustic trunk carving,

and at her door this tiki who looks kind of familiar,

if it's a do-it-yourself carving it was well done. She said all her carvings were bought in Hawaii (including a witco lamp) but I forgot to ask about the trunk one.

And talking about tikis, what's this?! (ignore the bad flash repair smudge)

Tani said it wasn't a restaurant but couldn't remember where it was taken.

aloha, tikicoma

Great googly mooglie! That's some Tiki! Papermache? Foam matting?

He somehow reminds me of the "Divorce Tiki" from "Honey we shrunk ourselves":

But that one's based on a Bumatay Tiki, this one here is more Marquesan inspired, I'd say.

I support any and all forays into floor show history! A rich Polynesian pop tradition awaits!:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=41154&forum=1&start=0

Pages: 1 18 replies