Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Fish tank - Xmas gift for my brother.

Pages: 1 6 replies

Well, this is my second attempt at creating anything remotely tiki. My first was a little stand I had posted on here for my bbq.

I built this today for my brother. I created a box out of plywood, trimmed it out and placed one of those fake aquariums inside it. I've never really cared for those aquariums. I always thought it looked weird having them hang on the wall. By having them hang on the wall, it automatically did away with the illusion of depth. So by placing it inside a box, I figured it would help further the illusion of depth. I think it does a pretty good job of it. I bought the fake aquarium at Big Lots for 24 bucks. I created a removable section on the right side of it so the aquarium can be removed, if need be.

M
Murph posted on Sat, Dec 20, 2008 4:03 PM

Cool!

Nice job and great idea.

No feeding and no cleaning! Where did you find the tapa cloth for the top?

Actually, it is a contemporary Aloha shirt I picked up at a thrift store for 75 cents. It was a few sizes too small, but I figured I would end up using the material for something... and I did! I even have some pretty nice scraps left.. maybe my brother will be getting a matching lamp for his birthday? haha...

I have to admit, I just recently started an actual fish tank and was curious what other tikiphiles were doing with their tanks.

Evenso, that's a great a effect and looks well-executed. Congrats!

That is great!!! I am also not a fan of fake fish tanks, but mostly because of the frames they are in. You make it look so much more like a real tank. I like the look of a fish tank but not the maintenance. You outta sell those, I would go for one. :)

S

Great idea. Now I've another project to work on.

Pages: 1 6 replies