Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Beginner ukulele recommendations?

Pages: 1 12 replies

DZ

My step-son recently announced that he was going to learn to play the uke and put one on his Christmas list. (Because of MY influence? No, of course not... Apparently there's 'some guy' at school who plays one and it's 'cool'. Whatever. It'll be enjoyable to hear him play anyhow.) He knows how to play both the violin and guitar well, so he won't be a beginner for long, but I'm not sure what to start him out on. Any recommendations for a particular make/model that one can pick up in the L.A./O.C. area? Price is a consideration (just in case it doesn't live up to his excpectations of 'coolness' - he's 14, fyi...), but even moreso is one that is 'appropriate' for a quick-learning beginner in terms of size and all that. Pablus? Kukulele? Ookoo? TikiKing? Anyone? Post or PM me!

Purveyor of
Doctor Z’s 'Not-Quite-Patented' Hangover Remedy
“Sworn BY, not sworn AT”
Ask for it by name!

[ Edited by: Doctor Z 2008-12-21 00:48 ]

Firstly I am going to send you to an awesome Ukulele Website/Forum, Ukuele Underground (UU) these folks have the same passion for Uke's as the folks here do for Tiki!!!
Lot's of great lessons too.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com

I am in Colorado so I am not sure about store in your area I know the UU crew did a show at a Ukulele store in Huntington Beach "Island Bazaar"

http://www.islandbazaarhb.com/

You can do a search at UU about brands, I like the Makala brand or a step up are Kala's (I have 3) it's the same company just a better fit and finish with better tuners.
Lots of folks are happy with the Lanikai and Ohana brands too, all around the 50 to 80$ range.
As far as size alot of folks start on a Concert, about the same sound as a Soprano/Standard but with a longer neck so more finger room between the frets.

Good luck to him and get yourself one too...
Mele Kalikimaka

[ Edited by: Beach Bum Scott 2008-12-21 08:17 ]

S

If you can wait for shipment, this seller seems like a good source for a started uke that will be playable. Might be too much. They generally have a starter uke for the $100-150 range. From my general info, if he's going to play live, you might look into a fluke as they paly a bit louder. I know Pablus plays a concert rather than soprano. Same tuning, but a bigger instrument with a little deeper tone. Depends on the hand size some.

I got my daughter a $25 uke a few years ago and she recently picked it up and is playing and performing. So, I am researching as well. I will likely get her a fluke. I have also looked at the Lanikai's.

P

YO - ZEEEEEEEEEEE.
I miss you man.
I've still got a bottle of Agwa on my desk at work that has your name on it.

Anyway - Lanikai. Great little uke. Stays in tune for a good while.
So.
Very.
Important.

My buddy Ramo bought one in Honolulu and I jammed it for a while when we were traveling together a few years back. Sounds really good, especially considering the cost.

I'm a giant - as you know - so a concert uke is about the smallest thing I can possible play. I tried to play the King's soprano once and got through 3 chords before I handed it back to him. Way too small for me - but not for a normal sized human.

The fluke is a pretty good instrument but for the same money I'd rather own a Lanikai.

No Johnson ukes. No.

This sounds like a great "Ask Dr. Z" question...Oh, wait! You're asking the question!!! Well, you can go to Huntington Beach to Island Bazar (Gothard and Heil) and talk to Shirley. She is very well known in the uke community and has many instruments to chose from...From beginning to advanced.

Let me know when you are going and I'll meet up with you.

Happy New Year to you and Pandora!!!

Dr Z - Don't be so quick to discredit yourself as an "influence" - He probably doesn't want to admit iit, but I'm sure the Tiki influence has worn off on him.

You are, after all....Doctor Z !

UB

On 2008-12-20 23:17, Doctor Z wrote:
Apparently there's 'some guy' at school who plays one and it's 'cool'.

Who would have thought.

H

On 2009-01-02 09:54, Unga Bunga wrote:

On 2008-12-20 23:17, Doctor Z wrote:
Apparently there's 'some guy' at school who plays one and it's 'cool'.

Who would have thought.

Maybe it's one of those Flying V ukes.

M

Gotta love the Flying V uke, and in pink no less!, but forget the ukulele and dig into steel guitar - http://www.hwnsge.5u.com - basics tutorials on pg. 4

[ Edited by: msteeln 2009-01-02 20:47 ]

By now Dr. Z has likely gotten a uke for his son.

I own in excess of 25 ukuleles and play most of them. It's such a personal choice when choosing your first uke or one for someone else.

Personally, I'm very attracted to the tradition of a "violin" shaped uke and love the sound that solid koa wood produces-- and for most performances I use a soprano... but I have a concert sized Kamaka that I bring to every gig because some soft, beautiful melodies are enhanced by it... but my Martin soprano has the crisp sound perfect for those great Tin Pan Alley tunes. The Flea and Fluke ukuleles found at fleamarketmusic.com are favored as first ukes by many with their modern style and "ovation-style" backs.

Shirley at Island Bazaar is the expert. Also... McCabe's Guitar Shop in Santa Monica usually has a wide selection of producers, styles and price ranges. A fine and fun place to go and take them ukes for some test drives. Enjoy!

-Weird Unc

TK

I second McCabes. They usually have a good selection and they are Ukulele friendly. (Not all music stores take the Uke seriously)
Cheers!
Tiki King.

Pages: 1 12 replies