Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Scotty's Stuff

Pages: 1 2 3 115 replies

So after studying , admiring and dreaming to be like many on here I decided to take a different approach. Soooo , what do you think I need to do and how am I doing now ? Thank You Almighty Tiki Carvers....

[ Edited by: drasticwagon 2009-02-26 20:01 ]

[ Edited by: drasticwagon 2009-03-14 13:05 ]

it looks good keep up the good work and just have fun

C

Welcome, not sure if I am an "almighty" tiki carver, but I am mighty
old, there's probably only one guy older than me around here :)
This is definitely a tiki so you have fullfilled your dream of being
a tiki carver. So now the only thing to do is decide if YOU are happy
with it. You might want to have a cocktail, turn the lights down and
squint at it for awhile, and see if you are happy. This will probably
result in your grabbing chisels and hacking at it a little more to
see if anything else comes out of it. And pretty soon you will become
a fancy tiki carver!

B

i like it!
the 1st one is always the hardest,and only you will know when its done
im sure you learned alot on this guy,and you will learn more on the next one
it looks like your using a hardwood,so keep your chisels sharp and keep posting

I put that guy to the side and started carving these small ones for practice.

[ Edited by: drasticwagon 2009-01-10 13:55 ]

Still relentlessly studying and trying. I am working on this one now , it might look a little 4wdtiki'ish but I find myself going back to his thread a lot and liking what he does.
![](http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/36/l_5bc4aa491de7443196bf592b95feb3bd.jpg[img]
I got a Wecheer Power Carver for an early V-day Gift and I am pretty excited about it.

[img]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y107/drasticwagon/DSC02572-1.jpg)

[ Edited by: drasticwagon 2009-02-07 21:05 ]

L
laojia posted on Sun, Feb 8, 2009 1:23 AM

well done, your progress is spectacular, continue studying that's the good way.This needs more pictures.

BD

wow! nice. i love the simplicity of the first one. when i started, as usual i didn't study and i let the wood and mood talk and just let the chips fly. do what the wood and you feel like because in the end you will be your harshest critic. keep up the good work.

bd

S

Great!

Thanks All , I will get more pics when I am done.

The first one I did nicknamed "Test Dummy" got some make-up and I donated it to a local charity raffle.

B

Well, It Definitely looks like you are makin' Lots of progress here with your few tikis and even the last, Painted one is a step up. Don't particularly care about all the color, but the pinstripes are Awesome and really can stay, so 'ya see, You're getting it figured out Already and you'll have the hang of it in about 4 more dayz and you'll be selling stuff on the tiki Marketplace next week.

Yeah , I thought it looked like a pickle myself. The latest one should be nice , thanks.

Dras, Great stuff....you've been busy. Time well spent.
Congatiki....I'll be 60 next year, I must be the other person.

I finished up on the last one I was doing. I am still a little different than most on here and trying to get in the majority still. I think this one looks best at a side view because I had a spilt in the center I had to work around. I came across some palm which is hard for me to find in North Texas but I think I will improve into a better direction once I get my hands on it.

[ Edited by: drasticwagon 2009-02-20 18:38 ]

[ Edited by: drasticwagon 2009-02-20 18:38 ]

B

Man this one is a SWEET Looking piece of wood and the carving has lots of good detail. Be CAREFUL Getting your hands on the Palm as they will come away Full of Splinters! :o

NICE!! wish you had posted a few different angles. i really like him, great job.

bd

I started this one today. A Kirby inspired Moai , feeling good about this one.

[ Edited by: drasticwagon 2009-02-23 16:29 ]

Sides and back next

danm! love the grain on your new moai. is that pine?

bd

Neat!

I don't know why, but I love the small ones you have made especially. Maybe it is because their minimalist style makes them look so wonderfully "ghostly" but I think they are just awesome.

Aloha!

Marcus

S

Nice usage of the length. Simple strait forward NICE.

Finished this guy.

[ Edited by: drasticwagon 2009-03-05 17:17 ]

[ Edited by: drasticwagon 2009-03-05 17:18 ]

What a piece of art!! Ya gotta keep it at that park!! With a little plaque on it and everything!

verry nice work!

Thanks , I enjoy your work too.

S

Nice work on the finish. Outstanding usage of a 4'piece of wood.

Nice Moai drastic. He's even got a trucker's butt, cute. I like.

Very Very kool . love the dark finish .

Playing around with this guy. 12 inches.

Finished the one that's 12 inches tall.

And I did this one for my Pinstripe Buddy by request. He is going to take it from here and put his touch to it.

L

Nice guy your 12', your line is very modern, very design. A bit like Henry moore...
good work!

Interesting take on tiki! your 12" that you posted above looks like it is flowing (or melting) - the lines are very smooth and fluid. I too like your mod take on tiki.

modfrankentiki-stein looks cool. Some pin-striping and paint will do him real good!

Neat work!

also - the moai and the 12" would look great as posts for furniture or architecture. They would blend into the design very well and simply add too the piece as a whole!

S

Yes i like the 12" nice smooth lines with your own twist.

Did this guy

S

Nice strait fwd wall hang.

Did another.

Nice carvin's...as usual. Those frames are cool, what's the story on them?

Thanks , They are from my local Micheals Store.

So I just have been hanging out here lately admiring and complimenting members work. I have done and completed a few since my last entry on here practicing along the way. Here is the most recent one I have been working on...

B

D-Wagon, Nice work, you are sanding an Excellent finish on your guys, Above and Beyond, Cool stuff!

drasticwagon

nice. very nice. seems that you like to sand. the 12" sure is smooth, almost as if were ceramic or glass. the new piece will look wonderful with the cracks and weathering.

bd

L

WOW! The last one is promising...

J.

Kool stuff,the big guy look likes he'll come up
a treat.Cheers Watango

I finished this one , piled on the stain. Looks better in person I think.

Started this one.

My Girlfriend did this guy.

T

Hey drastic, nice carves and sweet painting. Is that your backyard?! Looks the size of football field!

Thanks , Yea I have an acre with nothing on it.

Done a few here and there. Here is 1 of 5 Im doing for a big local carshow. I am currently building their Top 3 Trophies.

Pages: 1 2 3 115 replies