Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Scotty's Stuff

Pages: 1 2 3 115 replies

L

nice work man! i like your wagon and pinstriping as well,i drive a 59 apache.

Nice lines on that one!

B

Drastic, Your carvings are Definitely taking a turn for the Better, Nice clean cuts, Cool Stuff

What ever happened with these Beauties?

Thanks All , I realized how important planning is than jut going for it.
Ben - I still have them , we could swap something if you like. I WOULD ENJOY SOMETHING OF YOURS.

T

That's cool. Are you doing all five trophies alike?

No , thats just a raffle tiki. I did another that is a choice pic that I will vote on. The other 3 are Best Of's , I am doing them abstract Bosko style.

B

Hey Dragon Wagon Your trophy is Still Cool and I sent you a PM.

L

Your latest: very neat! Bravo!

I been bust working on this local car show and I finally got it all done for tomorrow. I feel like a personal goal was reached.

T

WOW Im luvin the pinstriping AWESOME!!!! Gongrats on the showing I just had one , had a lot of fun. If your interested intrade let me know [email protected]

A
amate posted on Sun, Nov 1, 2009 5:20 AM

I was going over your thread and was unable to view most of the photos. Looks like you got some good stuff going on. I did REALLY like this one. Worth special mention. Very nice !

B

Nice stuff, Hope your show went well. You should be cleaned out now so Start on another batch.

( did you ever answer my PM about the bookends?)

myspace

[ Edited by: Benzart 2009-11-01 11:37 ]

Here is a few pics from the car show. I had a great time making some folks happy.

Yea I did Ben but I told my other half and she kinda likes it a lot so I don't think I can get away with it.
Amate that one I took back today from the owner. After doing this last round of tikis I told him I wanted to make it better for him. So I am going to sand him down and give him a different color.

[ Edited by: drasticwagon 2009-11-01 18:00 ]

[ Edited by: drasticwagon 2009-11-01 18:01 ]

[ Edited by: drasticwagon 2009-11-01 18:01 ]

[ Edited by: drasticwagon 2009-11-01 18:02 ]

Scotty,

Nice work on the awards!

I've found that creating awards for events like these is some of the most rewarding work I do.

Hand made awards are always appreciated and coveted more than the typical hunk of plastic with a brass plate.

The same amount of passion went into your awards as the winners put into their cars, so that's a nice exchange!

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2009-11-02 09:25 ]

Dave thank you so much, your words mean a lot to me from a guy of your caliber. I really look up to guys like you and others on here. Barely even starting to do this and being on here, I hope too meet you someday. I always build Raffle Tikis for all the local shows and they end up raising a lot of money for the cause. I decided to take it a step further this time for a personal friend of mine for the show. I have to say it was one of the best experiences I ever had. All that work for 2 months off and on when I had the time was worth the great feeling I had in the end.
Here is a good pic from the show.

L
laojia posted on Mon, Nov 2, 2009 8:20 PM

Very good work Scotty! Especially on this guy:

J.

Happy Thanksgiving!

L

Ha Ha! Always cutting turkeytiki with Pfeil...cool pix! :D

A little fun with a Tiki Motel Wall Hang.

man that awesome progression dude, Diggn them, hey got anymore pics of your wagon thats a nice ride u got there.

Thanks Man, Welcome back from tiki vacation. Yeah here is my 65 with my 67 that I am building for my 13 year old son.

Anyone in the Houston/Galveston area have any leads on some palm or where to find some. I will be in the area Jan. 22nd to the the 24th. with a trailer scavenger hunting. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

[ Edited by: drasticwagon 2009-12-30 05:36 ]

scotty!! luvin the wagons man those are sweeeett!! your sons gonna be rollin niiiice when hes ready to go!! and srry cant help yah on the logs in txs but if your ever in florida give me a holla i will def hook you up!! cheerz!!

Thanks man , appreciate it.

New Guy

A
amate posted on Sat, Jan 2, 2010 5:24 PM

Scotty,

The new carve is great. The lack of palm wood doesn't seem to be affecting you adversely. As far as your scavenger trip to Galveston Island goes, take a saw. I went down to G-town at the end of last May and drove from East Beach to Surfside beach. There was still a lot of debree left from Hurricane Ike but I'm sure a lot has been cleaned up since. Anyway, all the way from San Luis pass to surfside there was debree bulldozed into piles along the highway. I didn't think to take a saw with me and missed out. Good hunting my friend.

Thats great info, I put an add on craigslist and I got a reply from a guy in Katy that has a 12 ft. Palm needing chopped down. I am going to grab that one and any others I can find. I am going to try to catch up with Tiki Loco on Crystal Beach and see what I can get in that area too.

happy new year scotty!! very cool new guy!!! wish i cld help w the logs!! keepem comin buddy!! cheerz!!

Thanks BTS and Amate, Your too Kind.

B

Love this little guy Scotty, Nice and Clean looking.

Thanks Ben!

R

Hey bro whats the story with the poupou?

Found them at a local antique store. Not to much of a story.

R

Thats not much of a story! :wink:
They really interest me because they are similar to the Turanga style, but are closer to a tribe about 100k north of here. They both look authentic, except i have never seen two identical pou, and they have afew odd things. Like the feet, have they been cut off later with a saw to fit that stand? And the feet on the head i havn't seen before, unless there is a heke standing there. Also the tops look to be cut off, around the head. I was wondering if you can tell that its been cut up and modified, if it was authentic original, or they just made some junky replicas of two women? In the past here, entire houses get striped and divided and usually sold overseas for hefty prices. There are stories in there some where

It beats me man , I just barely caught them out of the corner of my eye at an antique mall. They are bookends, sounds like you know what you are talking about. As for me they just looked awesome and I bought them.

R

Na man iv been exposed as a rank amature! The original came from here, the house was striped and is in the national museum, wellington. I didnt recognise the crazy nose, and the eyes are different from in my pattern books. I found another picture of it in the book Toi Whakairo.

Even if they are just modern replica they look pretty good from the picture! There is another book out that has alot of really good quality colour pictures of that house. Its called "The Maori Heirs of Tane" By David Lewis and Werner Forman.
I'll ask around the natives if anyone knows about your pou :)

I see where you are talking about it was cut off now form the feet on the head. Interesting....

T

Very cool vibe on this one. Awesome job.

Thanks T !

Well I went to Trader Vic's today to get some fun and studying in, but they were closed due to a broken pipe from the weather. Don't worry BigT, I will be back next weekend to get you that shirt I promised you.

that sucks!!! wish we had one here in fl!!!! and again luvin the wagon!!!! cheerz!!

A
amate posted on Sun, Jan 10, 2010 5:29 AM

Yeah! that's what I wanted to see. Photos of Vic's. I hope you get inside next time. I want to see it for myself next time I'm up your way.

I would be more than happy to go with you.

Back to carving after a break. It's not the best wood but I am getting there.

SWEEEET START!!!! glad to see yah swingin the malet again scotty!!! cant wait to see this guy progress!!! cheerz brah!!

B

Yes, Nice Deep cuts, gonna be a great "Leroy" Tiki.

A
amate posted on Sat, Jan 30, 2010 3:07 PM

How did your trip to the coast go? If memory serves, you had a 12ft palm log lined up.

Pages: 1 2 3 115 replies