Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Kona Sour Face

Pages: 1 15 replies

Correct me if I'm wrong, but last time I checked Tiki was supposed to be laid back and easy going. At Kona's on New Year's about half of the people were having a good time while the other half took themselves so seriously that they didn't even smile. Just a word of advice, the best way to kill a cool scene is to pretend that you're more "elite" than someone else. Tiki by nature should be non-conformist. The scene shouldn't have royalty, heros, or a mandatory costume. True tikis shouldn't be rude to the bartenders and servers at Konas and telling young ladies that they can't dance to the band. Not that I ever quote Bob Marley, but jesus christ, "Liveley up yourselves". I've been doing this Tiki thing for a real long time, and the only way to keep this fun is if we all trueheartedly admit that we're all dorks. The cooler you think you are, the lamer the scene becomes.
Thanks
Afkarp's Moai

..it's been my experience that every scene goes through the usual cycles...they start small and cool and then degenerate into hipster, royalty, elitism and all the other things you mention plus a few more...this is a natural progression for all trends and scenes and cannot be stopped...i don't like it either but for good or bad, that's just the way it is....i solve it by taking the advice you mentioned yourself and don't take it so seriously....enjoy what you do and the time spent at events with good friends and to hell with the rest of em'....it will never change and no scene stays consistent for ever....like tiki devolution, the scene has to morph and change as well....just ride it out.

H

Ahh yes, memories! Letters to Flipside magazine.

http://www.operationphoenixrecords.com/flipsideissue52_17Letters.pdf

dorks are cool...

awesome...what a blast from the past. gotta love the days of fanzines...before the days of blogs!!

T

Well, one thing to remember is, when you put that many people together in a room and add strong alcoholic drinks, there is bound to be some saltiness. Everyone reacts differently to alcohol.
Add to that New Year's Eve...people are drunker than usual, and sticking more close to people they're friends with.

It always amazes me that there isn't MORE saltiness at these tiki events, given all the booze that's flowing. I'm sure if you compare this to other "scenes" (I hate that word, it's so 1991 Seattle :) you'd find that there IS alot of Aloha, and that there is very little "posing"...I think wearing a Hawaiian shirt is about as anti-poser as you can get.
Having been in the rock scene for my entire musician life, I can tell you that the Tiki people are WAY less enamored with themselves than most of the people I've encountered in the rock thing.

So, hopefully Afkarp's Moai, you didn't join TC just to issue this complaint and then leave. There are alot of cool people in here, and lot's of great info on Tiki.

So I hope you stick around some. :)

doble-post

[ Edited by: little lost tiki 2009-01-02 11:02 ]

everyone would be waaaay cooler
if we collected tiki pogs
instead of mugs.....

just an opinion...

If you decide to not conform, isn't that in some way conforming?? This must be some good weed.

P.S. I have heard about some "goofs" around here that have problems with the girls dancing....WTF? Stay home if you don't like girls dancing.

I wish I could have been there on NYE!!

[ Edited by: The Sperm Whale 2009-01-02 12:01 ]

huh?
quit harshin the mellow,Scott...
:lol:

Hey just be happy you have tiki places out there to celebrate NYE with ohana. We got dick here in the mid-Atlantic. I did an NYE cell call to Soccer and Paul who were at Kona.

On 2009-01-02 08:09, Afkarp's Moai wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but last time I checked Tiki was supposed to be laid back and easy going. At Kona's on New Year's about half of the people were having a good time while the other half took themselves so seriously that they didn't even smile. Just a word of advice, the best way to kill a cool scene is to pretend that you're more "elite" than someone else. Tiki by nature should be non-conformist. The scene shouldn't have royalty, heros, or a mandatory costume. True tikis shouldn't be rude to the bartenders and servers at Konas and telling young ladies that they can't dance to the band. Not that I ever quote Bob Marley, but jesus christ, "Liveley up yourselves". I've been doing this Tiki thing for a real long time, and the only way to keep this fun is if we all trueheartedly admit that we're all dorks. The cooler you think you are, the lamer the scene becomes.
Thanks
Afkarp's Moai

Whew....I'm glad I was with the good half that was having a good time! It was the best New Year's I have celebrated in a very long time! I don't know about anyone telling girls they couldn't dance but I was at a table right up front. There literally was no room to dance since there were tons of people sitting on the floor in front of the front row tables and in front of the band. I doubt anyone from the 2nd table back could have seen them sitting there since they were so low. Sorry it left a sour taste for you but please give it another shot! Tiki people are seriously the nicest I have run across!

CJ

T

I can't imagine anyone having a bad experience, but if you did, please chalk it up as an anomaly. The ohana spirit is strong! I think I prefer tiki nerd over tiki dork. :wink:

Wow! Someone told the girls they couldn't dance?!?! I guess it's a good thing I wasn't there because I will dance no matter what! Haha! Seriously, I have never met cooler, friendlier people than the tiki peeps. I lurve my tiki ohana! (even if I am a new kid!)

As a recent re-join to the Tiki experience, I can whole-heartedly say that it's much more inclusive now than the mid-nineties. those were tight-browed days... and them wemen folk hangin' about are cutier now...

WHOO!

[ Edited by: Don Brewski 2009-01-02 21:06 ]

Pages: 1 15 replies