Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

The Best Ceramic Art

Pages: 1 23 replies

GT

Wow! This guy is one of the best Ceramic artist I have ever seen, Again Wow! Check it out!
http://www.getclay.com/

Too much big teeth. And he doesn't even do "Tikis".

L
Liana posted on Sat, Jan 10, 2009 8:18 PM

Yes! I love GetClay!! Been watching his stuff on eBay for a very long time now, just don't have the money to buy one of his pieces :(

He's done a couple of 'tiki' mugs, or mugs that are very loosely tiki related.. then again he doesn't call himself a tiki artist - he just does what he likes:

That stuff belongs on "Dungeons and Dragons/ Head Shop Central".

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2009-01-11 07:59 ]

Chicken! :)

GT

From an ceramic artist point of view, I think his work is awesome, Vantiki does big teeth too, His glaze work is very well done, I have seen him do some tiki stuff myself, Like all art, It's in the eye of who's looking at it, Just my opinion on his art.

On 2009-01-11 08:24, GO TIKI wrote:
From an ceramic artist point of view, I think his work is awesome, Vantiki does big teeth too..

Exactly, and I am saying that his (very talented) work is not Tiki, either, because to 98% it is fantasy/monster/dungeons art.

The part of Tiki revival ceramic and graphic art that goes in the direction of a Frank Frazetta and Lord of the Rings esthetic, and has almost NO element of Polynesian art in it, in my opinion waters down what Tiki is, and in that way is on the same level than -dare I invoke his name- Jimmy Buffet.

And yes, I am aware you both duly noted the non-Tiki/borderline Tiki character of the above artist. I said this before and I will again, I am not attacking the right of everyone here to have their own personal taste, but I am simply watching out that Tiki Central stays TIKI Central, so that newbies who drop in do not see that stuff here and think that that is Tiki.

B

[ Edited by: Babalu 2009-01-12 06:33 ]

C

And don't forget Eva Zeisel, she goes way back, kicked every door down for others to walk through behind her, and had a show in 2006!

Check these out, produced from one mold!

Eva's stuff is incredibly important to the entire retro movement, not just Tiki but 50's modernist and the design & shapes & bohemian mindset that Tiki-going hipsters adopted in the 40's and later;

After going to a Tiki bar, you'd come home and use one of Eva's salt shakers!

GT

" This is a forum specfically for discussion of your Tiki finds: mugs, Witco, postcards, menus, and other collectables."

I have seen this guy make tiki mugs, So has Llana, Maybe everything he makes isn't tiki, I was just specifically posting my tiki finds, "Let's call the kettle black then" A lot of tiki artist post on TC and their work isn't anything tiki, Some more than others, Should we put their work into bilge? Everything I make isn't 100% tiki, My point is, Don't slam an artist if you haven't seen all their work. On the other hand I agree, If an artist has nothing to do with tiki, Then he or she should not be posted in this forum. I seen a lot of art on E-Bay by this artist, That is not posted on his site.

Thank You all for your opinion, I'll stay with mine!

C
Cammo posted on Sun, Jan 11, 2009 2:05 PM

Go get 'im, GO TIKI!!!!!

I applaud your persistance if not your punctuation!

B

[ Edited by: Babalu 2009-01-12 06:34 ]

Oooh Babalu, I liked your posts, even if they veered off further...

Maybe we can open a completely new section for my missionary efforts to keep Tiki TIKI, and call, in Engrish, "Correcting Tiki" !!! :D

B

Hey Big Brother....

I just started a new topic over in "beyond tiki" where it needed to be.

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=30971&forum=6&1

GT

All this because of my opinion, Wow!

The artist work I posted, Looks very similar on what is called Tiki Art here, On TC, Take a look under " Other Crafts "

BigBro, I do understand about keeping Tiki, Tiki! If your going to Police the site, Police it all!

Lesson Here: " Don't throw bricks in glass houses "

Done with the digs yet? I can post so much more! Gogo

Oh boy, why do people take things so personal on the internet. I was merely voicing my opinion, JUST like you were. And I only got really into explaining it AFTER Liana posted two examples that were clearly NOT Tiki. Are you suggesting they are NOT ""Dungeons and Dragons/ Lord of the Rings" Style?

If I see a thread on TIKI CENTRAL titled "The Best Ceramic Art" that shows THOSE images, I feel it deserves some clarification from my point of view. And my point of view is the one that DEFINED Tiki style for the first time, before there was any consciousness of Tiki style out there. Whatever happens with it now is out of my control, I know, but I am not gonna stop voicing my opinion about it --even if the majority of agreeing folks shrug their shoulders and walk away from these kind of situations, because they deem them to be hopeless, considering the amount of misunderstanding that goes on (mostly because people feel personally attacked.)

And I DO bring this problem up periodically, just not EVERY time I see something, because I am hopeful that people will remember and consider my observations in the future. I don't know if ypu are aware of this thread:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=28671&forum=1&start=0

This was my sincerest, valiant effort, that despite me aiming for clarity, more often is a sad example for the "Tower of Babel"-type miscommunication that can happen. I really feel I made myself clear here on the first page, let's not start it all over again.

GT

[ Edited by: GO TIKI 2009-01-14 20:11 ]

B

[ Edited by: Babalu 2009-01-14 21:49 ]

and so our long saga ends....
they two Clay giants kissed and made up
and continued to create mind-blowing Ceramics Forever!

the end!

:)

A

Yikes! The best ceramic art?

If this thread was posted to elicit opinions from TC members, mine would be in disagreement with the thread title (and its chosen forum for that matter). Of course beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I sure as heck don't visit TC to behold those!

If this thread was posted looking only for opinions aligned with the original post, then ignore this reply. But really if so, then what's the point of creating the thread at all?

-Randy

GT

GoGo, This...right here...right now...is a very good place for you and I to go back to being buddies. I do not wish to kitchen sink fight with you. You have a great many followers here on TC, and it is not my intension to change that in the slightest. Besides, no one really wants to listen to a couple of clay jockeys and their mewings.

I agree "water under the bridge" my friend, It's O.K. if friends have different opinions Mahalo! Gogo

B

Fine then...that's good.

Anar-clay!!!!!!!!!

Pages: 1 23 replies