Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

Tiki Mugs on Oahu or Maui

Pages: 1 21 replies

K
KuKu posted on Wed, Jan 14, 2009 2:13 AM

I'm off to the islands next month and will be on Oahu and Maui and would like any info about where to get tiki mugs on either island. I'm looking for bar/resturant/luau/hotel/resort and local stuff.

Aloha Kuku!
We are also heading over to Maui next month for our annual vacation. Looking for mugs myself, the only restaurant which actually had a Tiki mug for sale was "Cheeseburger in Paradise" in Lahaina. Tiki Farm makes their mug.

As far as stores and retail outlets, Beachbumz (Scott), here on TC, sells all kinds of mugs and Hawaiiana stuff from his cart in Kalama Village in Kihei. You could send him a pm to inquire about anything special you are seeking out, or information.

Good Luck! If I find anything during our travels this year, I will send you a pm. We arrive on Maui Feb 15, and are staying in Napili for 2 weeks.

Have a blast!!
Myke

K
KuKu posted on Wed, Jan 14, 2009 8:37 AM

Mahalos Myke!
Yea, Rob (mauitiki) mentioned Scott's cart at Kalama as well as Cheeseburger in Paradise. There used to be a luau somewhere down on the Makena Coast that had mugs, saw one on ebay a while back. Have fun over there brah, we fly over Feb 7th. for a week and then on to Oahu for a week...

The above question strikes me as a little naive in two ways, so I feel compelled to post a little Tiki mug history and reality review:

1.) Tiki style in general was an American mainland phenomenon. Tiki mugs were invented as a MAINLAND Polynesian restaurant souvenir, and during the heyday of Tiki, thousands were created and sold to rum-happy customers. Yet Tiki culture came to a grinding halt in the 1970s, and by the 80s the Tiki mug custom was virtually dead. Almost none of the few remaining restaurants served in and sold Tiki mugs anymore. (There were exceptions, I bought a Bumatay mug I drank out of at the Hala Kahiki as late as 1996). But in general, they were just not available anymore. AND: Even during that heyday period of Tiki, mugs created for Hawaiian restaurants and resorts made up for maybe 5% of all the Tiki mugs created --because Tiki style was not really present in the Islands.

2.) Fast forward to the 1990s and 2000s: Tiki mugs became collectibles, and with the growth of the Tiki revival, were being manufactured again --first one by one by pioneers of the art like Bosko, than by Tiki Farm, whose mass-manufacturing did make it viable to consider using Tiki mugs as restaurant ware again --but this did not begin to happen until, oh, 2005 or so. This of course again was attempted on the mainland first. Tiki Farm has made great strides in bringing back the memento Tiki mug custom, and with Frankie's Tiki Room in Las Vegas created the first lavish, complete line of Tiki mugs available from a cocktail menu since the 1960s (!). Yet to find a take-home Tiki mug is still a comparatively rare occurrence. And just like during the mid-century, to find establishments that serve cocktails in take -home Tiki mug in the ISLANDS is that much rarer, I can't think of one, but I am sure Holden would know.

This is not to say that this question is not best posted here on Tiki Central, because if anybody knows, they would be found here. There might be some mug designs floating around by Asian restaurant supply companies still, just like they were in the 80s and 90s, but I consider these not really representative of the Tiki mug as a desirable art object.

After this reality check, here's some good news:

M

Bigbro is correct. The islands have always lacked in the tiki cultural, and still do to this day.

In these days, it is just too expensive for most restaurants / bars to offer mugs. There is really no one distributing mugs in Hawaii on a larger scale, so if you want to offer a mug at your bar, the only real choice is Tiki Farm. The reality of the situation now is when you make a mug in China, ship it to a CA warehouse, then back to Hawaii, it is just too expensive to work.

That being said here is what I know:

Cheeseburger in Paradise, Waikiki, did have a signature Tiki Farm mug. I bought a few about a year ago. I don't think they have them any more, but you might want to check.

Da Big Kahuna, Waikiki, also had a signature mug from Tiki Farm, about a year ago. I also don't think they have them anymore. They were horrible at selling/promoting them. Most of the people that worked there didn't even know that they had them, and it took me multiple tries to get one.

As far as I know, our only real tiki bar is the only one that offers a mug currently - La Mariana.
La Mariana now has 2 different mugs and 2 shot glasses. They are made from Petro molds, and have the name on the back. The neat thing is that they are being made by one of the waitresses there, so I think that may classify them as having the only tiki bar with a mug made by one of the staff? I have a few and can post some pics later.

The Thor Stor, Waikiki, still sells their 3 Thor mugs. However, they have never pursued selling much wholesale, and have dropped the ball on the whole mug thing. I know that they will no be producing anymore in the future.

On Maui, there is a newer bar in Lahaina, I think its called the Mai Tai Bar, that was serving their drinks in the newer dynasty 3 faced buckets. Not sure if they still do.

That is pretty much all I can think of.

Honestly, if you want a really good tiki mug to take home, hook up with Gecko while you're out here. He will gladly invite you over to see his house/studio - have a drink with him, then go shopping!

K
KuKu posted on Wed, Jan 14, 2009 3:04 PM

On 2009-01-14 13:48, bigbrotiki wrote:
The above question strikes me as a little naive in two ways, so I feel compelled to post a little Tiki mug history and reality review:

1.) Tiki style in general was an American mainland phenomenon. Tiki mugs were invented as a MAINLAND Polynesian restaurant souvenir, and during the heyday of Tiki, thousands were created and sold to rum-happy customers. Yet Tiki culture came to a grinding halt in the 1970s, and by the 80s the Tiki mug custom was virtually dead. Almost none of the few remaining restaurants served in and sold Tiki mugs anymore. (There were exceptions, I bought a Bumatay mug I drank out of at the Hala Kahiki as late as 1996). But in general, they were just not available anymore. AND: Even during that heyday period of Tiki, mugs created for Hawaiian restaurants and resorts made up for maybe 5% of all the Tiki mugs created --because Tiki style was not really present in the Islands.

2.) Fast forward to the 1990s and 2000s: Tiki mugs became collectibles, and with the growth of the Tiki revival, were being manufactured again --first one by one by pioneers of the art like Bosko, than by Tiki Farm, whose mass-manufacturing did make it viable to consider using Tiki mugs as restaurant ware again --but this did not begin to happen until, oh, 2005 or so. This of course again was attempted on the mainland first. Tiki Farm has made great strides in bringing back the memento Tiki mug custom, and with Frankie's Tiki Room in Las Vegas created the first lavish, complete line of Tiki mugs available from a cocktail menu since the 1960s (!). Yet to find a take-home Tiki mug is still a comparatively rare occurrence. And just like during the mid-century, to find establishments that serve cocktails in take -home Tiki mug in the ISLANDS is that much rarer, I can't think of one, but I am sure Holden would know.

This is not to say that this question is not best posted here on Tiki Central, because if anybody knows, they would be found here. There might be some mug designs floating around by Asian restaurant supply companies still, just like they were in the 80s and 90s, but I consider these not really representative of the Tiki mug as a desirable art object.

Dude, what is your problem?!? All I was asking if anyone knows if there are, as there have been in the past, as I have for one, acquired them in my youth in Waikiki in the early to mid 70's and have seen them on ebay, know of any place that might have a tiki mug that I may want to add to my collection while on vacation in Hawaii. I didn't need to be put down and called naive and get a lecture.

Believe it or not, while you were growing up somewhere else in the world, in a different culture, I was growing up in San Diego and actually living within this world of tiki that you have become so consumed with in the later part of of your life. I watched from a sandy bluff on my mini bike as the heavy equipment broke ground for Sea World and then enjoyed it's attractions 4 or more times a year with my family and on school field trips. Special occasions were dinner at the Bali Hai and we fished from the rocks there as kids in the sixty's. I have been traveling to the islands since to early 70's while my father was producing albums for Don Ho and we were treated as royalty. I have also been surfing there ever since...

I have your books and a good deal of respect for you and your knowledge of Polynesian pop culture and am glad you came to this country and educated yourself about something really cool and then shared your findings in print. But for you to come off as some kind of superior human and treat others as idiots is not cool. Just because you may not deem something as art doesn't mean many others here might find some appreciation. Do you really think Tiki Bob's mug looks anything like a tiki?!? So get down of your pedestal and understand that some of us here are truly lifelong locals of tiki bro, regardless if you think we are up to your caliber and standards.

So, as you even mentioned in point 2 of your lecture, there might be a place that has recently produced a collectible new mug. Funny how you didn't really answer my simple thread question as to where there might be a mug to be had around the islands.

Aloha...

On 2009-01-14 15:04, KuKu wrote:
Aloha...

And so much of that, my my! :)
Uh, gosh, dude, a'm sooorry you're takin' this as a put down.

K
KuKu posted on Wed, Jan 14, 2009 3:11 PM

Mo-Eye
Thanks for the leads, I'll check 'em out. I knew about Thor's stuff as I own 3 of his original paintings and all of his mugs.

I was hoping Daga would still have a finger in the pie since they were such a player in the islands in the 70s and according to the interview in the 15th issue of The Tiki News one out of every 10 tourists took a mug back to the mainland with them. I was at their website and although they have a few tiki mugs on the home page I couldn’t find any other examples. Any Hawaiian up for a field trip?

http://www.dagahawaii.com/

H

I second Mo-Eye's recommendation of La Mariana on Oahu. It's a bit off the beaten path, but sooooo worth the visit - 50 Sand Island Access Road in Honolulu, not far from the airport. I got the "male" and "female" mugs, but not the shot glasses, and they are indeed made by Toddlyn, the same waitress who served us! Pretty cool.

M

On 2009-01-14 15:15, naugatiki wrote:
I was hoping Daga would still have a finger in the pie since they were such a player in the islands in the 70s and according to the interview in the 15th issue of The Tiki News one out of every 10 tourists took a mug back to the mainland with them. I was at their website and although they have a few tiki mugs on the home page I couldn’t find any other examples. Any Hawaiian up for a field trip?

http://www.dagahawaii.com/

Interesting... this must be a new website, as I have not seen this before. This is my understanding on Daga. They closed down in the early 90s, and Gecko bought most of their molds. Ne now makes most of those vintage mugs, he calls them his vintage Waikiki Classic line. Daga hasn't made any mugs since, and I thought they were completely gone. Not sure if it is the same company or if they are just using the name, but this Daga you showed seems to just to printing on stock items. Its hard to tell from the one crappy pic, but it looks like the mugs they show on the home page are just the normal ones you can get from dynasty and such. I'll have to check them out next time I am down there.

V

I'm sure no insult was intended whatsoever by BigBro Tiki, he was just pointing out the odd lack of tiki on what you would naturally assume would be an island chock full of them. Anyway, I wanted to add that the Hawaiian Hut had a neat "keeper" mug that you'd get with your Mai Tai. At least they did when I saw Don Tiki preform there circa 2001-2. Worth a peek if you have a Waikiki layover (but only after hitting La Mariana :) )

Henrik

K
KuKu posted on Wed, Jan 14, 2009 7:33 PM

On 2009-01-14 15:09, bigbrotiki wrote:

On 2009-01-14 15:04, KuKu wrote:
Aloha...

And so much of that, my my! :)
Uh, gosh, dude, a'm sooorry you're takin' this as a put down.

Indeed as I said Mr. Kirsten, I have much admiration for all the information you have absorbed and passed on to all interested. Yet to have ones inquiry referred to as naive is somewhat insulting. I had a teacher as a child who built great self esteem in her students that once said " there are no dumb questions, only stupid answers". No hard feelings I hope, I'm just lookin' for da mugs...

Mucho Mahalos to everyone else who responded to my post. Exactly what I had hoped for, some direction to help quench my lust for new & somewhat unique mugs.

i have heard rumors.....don the beachcomber bar at the royal lahaina resort just outside of lahaina
was going to ...is offering a new mug...also try the bar restaurant off the lobby....
are they still open?....dons that is....if so evenings only

On 2009-01-14 19:33, KuKu wrote:
Yet to have ones inquiry referred to as naive is somewhat insulting. I had a teacher as a child who built great self esteem in her students that once said " there are no dumb questions, only stupid answers". No hard feelings I hope, I'm just lookin' for da mugs...

Now we're talking: I did not call YOU naive, merely suggested your inquiry sounded so. Actually, my exact wording was:
"The above QUESTION (not you) strikes ME (as in "my subjective point of view") as a LITTLE naive...",
which is somewhat different than the way you took it, as "What a dumb question!".

How was I to know you were a well read gentleman of such rich Island heritage? :)

And to answer your question "Dude, what is your problem?", I can only say that I have no problem, this is what I DO:
I teach Tiki. Some people think I pontificate, I feel I share experience and information where it might be lacking. Some take it, some don't. I am sure there were a number of folks here who read my review and thought "Well I'll be gosh darned, I never knew that!"

I also DID answer your initial question, stating that I (for the afore-mentioned reasons) did not know of any restaurant mug sources in the islands... but that some folks here certainly would! And I am happy to see that indeed this post garnered enough interest to bring up SEVERAL of them.

Good hunting. At least now you will be happily surprised if you come by previously unheard-of mug sources! :)

K

Tiki's Grill and Bar in Waikiki also has a series of chinese mugs imprinted with their logo: a tall ceramic tiki mug available in multiple colors and an R-12 like Ku coffee mug.

Interesting news about those La Mariana mugs - I'll have to head back over there to see what those waitress-made mugs look like.

If you broaden your definition of "mug" to include glassware, you'll find a much larger variety of logoed items available.

Speaking of logoed items, Daga is most certainly in business, but they don't manufacture mugs anymore. They diversified into logoed business items and coffee after their restaurant-supply heyday, and mostly use the coffee business name (not Daga). Daga's office is located in Iwilei in the old tin warehouse area across the street from Home Depot and Costco - if you go, you'll see the Daga Hawaii sign at their loading dock, but it's kind of hard to find. I've never gone inside.

Vintage mugs are pretty hard to find - recommend looking at my post in the "Antique Shopping Tips while in Hawaii" thread in this forum.

Good luck.

K

Two other things - we went to that Lahaina Mai Tai Bar (on Front Street) in November; it's nice with a light wood/lauhala sleek tropical interior. Tons of Mai Tai buckets and scorpion bowls, but nothing you probably couldn't get off eBay. I don't think any of the mugs had logos.

The Thor Stor in the civilian-accessible portion of the Navy Exchange at Makalapa still has lots of Tiki Farm mugs, as well as some Gecko and Squid scorpion bowls. They still have copies of Tiki Quest from the batch without self-ejecting pages, so you can pick that up if you haven't grabbed a copy yet. No price deals here, however.

T

Koolau...

Do they still have that huge Swap meet at Aloha Stadium ? I've never been, but I imagine there must be some collectible stuff from back in the day.

Also, if I remember correctly there is a Hawaiiana collectible fair in Honolulu once year.

D

Hawaii All-Collectors Show- Hawaii's largest collectibles & antiques show. This year's show is now history. Next year's show will be held on July 17-18, 2009.

Wiki Wiki One Day Show- A one day vintage collectibles & Hawaiiana show. Next show is on Sunday March 29,2009.

and yes, the Aloha Stadium Swapmeet is on Weds, Sat & Sunday
http://www.alohastadiumswapmeet.net/

K

Dogbytes has it right, but Sunday is really the only day for collectibles at Aloha Stadium. Wednesday and Saturday are mostly tourist vendor stuff in the outer parking rings - the Sunday action is in the inner rings on the mauka side of Aloha Stadium.

Real hit and miss for tiki items and mugs - there's really only one vendor (Bob) who always has tiki stuff. There's much more hawaiiana available, including aloha wear and monkeypod bowls, but mostly it's generic antiques, household items, used clothing, etc. Still worth a look - especially on a beautiful clear Sunday morning.

After you're done, head across the street to the McDonalds for Portuguese sausage, eggs and rice. Can't go wrong.

HOK

On 2009-01-16 17:44, dogbytes wrote:
Hawaii All-Collectors Show- Hawaii's largest collectibles & antiques show. This year's show is now history. Next year's show will be held on July 17-18, 2009.

Wiki Wiki One Day Show- A one day vintage collectibles & Hawaiiana show. Next show is on Sunday March 29,2009.
http://www.ukulele.com/waikiki

and yes, the Aloha Stadium Swapmeet is on Weds, Sat & Sunday
http://www.alohastadiumswapmeet.net/

Aloha! One more show in February...
Hawaii Collector's Expo '09
Feb 20-22 2009
Neal S Blaisdell Center Exhibition Hall

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/eve/984951261.html

Pages: 1 21 replies