Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Trying out glass etching with some vintage tiki graphics

Pages: 1 12 replies

M

Aloha,

I was having some fun and trying my hand at some glass etching. Used some vintage tiki graphics and etched them on to some new glasses. What do you think?? These were quite a pain to get a good photograph of them. Any suggestions? Would it help to have them filled with a dark liquid?

Kauai Surf Hotel logo :down:

Tiki from an old Matson letterhead :down:

Philadelphia Pub Tiki :down:

Mahalo!

Very nice work Mo-Eye, nice detail and good even coverage. Using etching cream and contact paper mask? It's difficult to do with a drinking glass but you could do a tiki in the forground (outside of the glass) and some big tropical leaves in the background (inside the glass) - or even 3 layers; outside, inside, and back of glass.

I think the photos look great like they are. Etching is a subtle art - sometimes hard to even see, let alone photograph.

Very SWANK!
Nicely done.

S
T

M

Thanks guys.

I started with the contact paper, but found it was much easier to just print the graphics right on to shipping labels, stick on the glass, and cut away.

WOW! Awesome work!!! -very elegant.

Shipping labels in the printer - Smart!

M

Here's a few more I just finished.

NY Bali Hai :down:

Another Kauai Surf :down:

and a Trader Vic's :down:

There's a bunch of subtle detail around this guy's mouth that you can't see.

Mahalo!

M

Aloha!

I had some time and did a few more designs - I love doing these!

Tiki Ho maori face :down:

Set of 4 Waikikian cut outs :down:

Aloha!!

Mo-Eye - the blue glasses are sweet, the etching shows up so much better than on clear glass. Are they regular colored glasses?

M

MDM,

It's actually just the lighting. In regular light, the etching on the blue glasses is very subtle, almost hard to see. I photographed them in a dark room, with a restricted light underneath and a flash, and the etching just popped out in the photos.

It was all luck!

Man, these are cool, are the glasses still food safe after the etching? if so i really want to make some for my home bar. I really dig the cut outs too, nice work!

M

Yes, completely food safe.

very cool Mo-eye!
You've mastered this in an amazing amount of time!
what tikibar wouldn't want the whole set of these?

Pages: 1 12 replies