Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Tile mosaic story

Pages: 1 2 68 replies

Well would'nt you know it, TC already had a post for all of the Mosaic stuff.

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=21793&forum=12&19

DC

F

Ah here it is a year later..

I almost forgot I had made the offer to photo my mosaic.

I still plan to do it.. so stay tuned.

I'll try and get the height on the images set to the actual real life height, so with any luck if you print it out, it will be at 1:1 scale

don't forget to check out the incredible catalog it came from here:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=21793&forum=12&start=last&

[ Edited by: fatuhiva 2010-02-12 13:29 ]

I remembered this thread when my boyfriend brought me a mosaic made by his father in the late 50's. It has been stored for years as it does't go in his americana decorated home. Needless to say it has found a very comfortable spot in my house. We were excited to find this very kit in the aforementioned catalog. It solved a mystery for him. He never understood how his father managed to have an inspired moment of artistic talent. Now he knows it was a kit that he had customized.

Here it is above my aquarium.

Aquarium closeup
Before you ask, the cool volcano come from Amazon.

I'll throw in my own "gravel" art piece. I would love to redo it to correct some design flaws. Someday.... My artistic genes are little deplete.

Thanks for looking.

Darilyn

Those are both terrific and look wonderful in your rooms. I look forward to seeing them in person. Wendy

G
gonzo posted on Sun, Apr 22, 2012 6:30 PM

Finally after many weeks of work and about 300 bucks its almost finished.

[ Edited by: gonzo 2012-04-22 18:31 ]

[ Edited by: gonzo 2012-04-22 18:35 ]

Great job! What's that book there on the table? :)

TS

For only $1200 more, you could've just bought this one in Long Beach! :lol:

C
croe67 posted on Tue, May 1, 2012 4:17 PM

$1,200.
Holy crap!
& think y'all did way better with the $300. Definitely more FUN!!

G
gonzo posted on Sat, May 5, 2012 9:20 PM

Finished!!!!at last . Its a bit larger than the original kit. This one is 19X75 the old kits were 16x75. If you want one have at it. Your results will probably be better than anything you could find. If you could find it at all..

[ Edited by: gonzo 2012-05-05 21:27 ]

[ Edited by: gonzo 2012-05-06 21:44 ]

C
croe67 posted on Sun, May 6, 2012 8:38 AM

BEAUTIFUL!!!!

Any advice on types of tile, sources, backing used, etc., etc? Would be interesting to hear any tips you've got from the Make Your Own perspective.

Mahalo!

G
gonzo posted on Sun, May 6, 2012 8:14 PM

Why certainly.

Take a jpeg of whichever one you like the best. Enlarge it to whatever size you want to make. Then print it at kinkos full size. Buy some carbon paper at the wood crafter supply store. Trace the paper onto the plywood using carbon paper. Tile colors are whatever you like. I used 3/4 inch vitrous "kaleidescope" colors. I bought mine at Mosaic Art Supply. Buy some tile nippers. Use weldbond glue as the website says.

Use plenty of glue then have at it.

Think hard about how you start because you must carry it through all the way across. The random water triangle pattern was the hardest part.

Regards

EJ

Gonzo,

Great work! If you don't mind a few more questions.

"Take a jpeg of whichever one you like the best."

-I'm guessing you mean from this forum or wherever you can find one correct?

"Enlarge it to whatever size you want to make. Then print it at kinkos full size."

-Does the image not become pixelated and distorted bown up that big? Are you making a black and white print the actual size you want the mosaic?

"Trace the paper onto the plywood using carbon paper."

-You mean trace the image correct?

"Think hard about how you start because you must carry it through all the way across."

-Can you expand on this? Do you mean what style used or how you lay the tiles must be carried through out?

Thanks in advance.

Has anyone actually seen one of the kits? Was the plywood pre-printed with the design layout or was there a copy of the design you had to trace onto your own plywood?

G
gonzo posted on Tue, May 8, 2012 3:10 PM

Great work! If you don't mind a few more questions.

"Take a jpeg of whichever one you like the best."

-I'm guessing you mean from this forum or wherever you can find one correct?

**Yes. I dont remember which one I used. You dont need a lot of pixels.

"Enlarge it to whatever size you want to make. Then print it at kinkos full size."

-Does the image not become pixelated and distorted bown up that big? Are you making a black and white print the actual size you want the mosaic?

**Yes very pixilated but black and white lines are all you need . I touched mine up a bit with a pen adding whatever I liked best form the pictures on this forum. I think I ended up with 19x75 instead of the orginal 16x75 because the original image I started with was slightly oblique.

"Trace the paper onto the plywood using carbon paper."

-You mean trace the image correct?

**Tape the full size print onto the wood with carbon paper in between. Then press hard with a dull pencil and trace out the lines.

"Think hard about how you start because you must carry it through all the way across."

-Can you expand on this? Do you mean what style used or how you lay the tiles must be carried through out?

This is important if you look at the various pictures you see differences in the way the tile are laid out. We went with the random triangles for the water. It was harder than laying out the tiles herringbone style say. On the Moais we laid out the tiles like bricks. You probably should be consistent with this.

Thanks in advance.

Has anyone actually seen one of the kits? Was the plywood pre-printed with the design layout or was there a copy of the design you had to trace onto your own plywood.

**Not sure. Im guessing it came printed on the plywood. The catalog just gave tips on which color tiles to use. You had to pick the colors you wanted. We used the 3/4 vitreous venetian glass.

EJ

Thanks for the info Gonzo.

C
croe67 posted on Tue, May 8, 2012 5:52 PM

Mahalo!!

H
Hearn posted on Wed, Aug 15, 2012 7:38 AM

On 2012-05-05 21:20, gonzo wrote:

Finished!!!!at last . Its a bit larger than the original kit. This one is 19X75 the old kits were 16x75. If you want one have at it. Your results will probably be better than anything you could find. If you could find it at all..

[ Edited by: gonzo 2012-05-05 21:27 ]

Sorry to be late to the party...Your mosaic looks awesome! I too am working on a version of this classic Mosaic...and I was wondering. Grout or no grout?

Whats the consensus? The original PDF Brochure suggested no grout.

Inquiring minds want to know!

Thanks!

Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.