Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Vintage Moai in Ft. Lauderdale

Pages: 1 16 replies

Does anyone remember the large moai statue that was along the intercoastal waterway, just south of the 17th street bridge in Ft. Lauderdale? It was behind a very cool A-frame house, done in an all-out tiki theme. For the last 20 years I drooled over it when passing by on the boat. I noticed the house and statue were gone, when I passed by there last year, replaced by yet another "McMansion". Does anyone know what became of the moai??? I hope it found a new home, and did not fall victim to the wrecking ball......

D

Wow! I grew up in Ft. Lauderdale in the 70s and 80s and I never heard of or saw this. Wish now that I did. Never went boating much on the intercoastal though.

Here's a vintage postcard of what I believe is the same place: The Doctor Winslow House in Fort Lauderdale, on the intercoastal waterway.

Dang Sabu, nice pull on that one!

DC

Thats the spot!!! Amazing you had that Post Card. That must have been very early on, as it had more tiki stuff and palm trees around it, as I remember it. I always admired that moai, as it was very realistic in it's shape, if not material. I used to idle over real close to the house, while waiting for the drawbridge to open. It is a shame that the house is now history.... Maybe the moai survived?????

Amazing! And I thought "Damn', a private A-frame residence with Moai, nobody will have kept a record of it!" Sabu, that's like Woody Allen pulling out Marshall McLuhan in "Annie Hall". Priceless.

At last years Hukilau Zulu Magoo mentioned that there was a Tiki in front of a house in Fort Lauderdale near a bridge, Tiki-Kate and I went looking and found this guy ~

I believe several other TC'ers, (Basement Kahuna for sure), took photos of this place from the deck of the Tiki Beach barge, during Hukilau 2004.

It was for sale with a Giant Postcard hanging out front :)

Thats very cool! It is not the same location or statue, but a very nice find!! I will look for it on my way to Miami next time, on the boat. The house I mentioned was just north of the inlet, before the 17th st. bridge. It was almost directly across from the cruise ship terminal.

Boris - The place I talked about at Hukilau last year was the fantastic Kona Kottage. I have not heard of this place.

Zulu

Oops! Well then cheers to happy accidents and Fort Lauderdaliens who like Moai's in their yards.

Sabu, the sleeping giant.
Cut the crap, and release a stellar book Sabu!

I scored a little souvenir booklet of the Jungle Queen sightseeing tour through the Bahia-Mar Yacht Basin in Fort Lauderdale.

And of course it had a photo of Dr. Winslow's house.

He was a retired plastic surgeon from Hawaii.

DC

Wow...what an awesome looking place...sad to know it is gone. Amazing postcards!!!

Aloha!

On 2011-09-27 15:33, Dustycajun wrote:
He was a retired plastic surgeon from Hawaii.

Arrgh! Another thing I'm going to have to fix in the 2nd printing!

That makes 5

Pages: 1 16 replies