Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Does Sake belong in a Tiki drink??

Pages: 1 13 replies

Big discussion at Thatch tonight. Not to mention working on the new drink to go into the new mug.
Robertiki

K

That's an oddly formatted question - does sake belong in a Tiki drink? No, of course not. Can sake be used in a Tiki drink? Sure, but it depends on the other ingredients to make it Tiki. If your drink is sake, vermouth and a salted plum, then no, it's not a Tiki drink. If it's sake, orgeat, falernum and lime juice, then yes, it probably is a Tiki drink.

Unless Jimmy Buffet happens to be there.

Some establishments with only a two-way license, which allows them to sell only beer and wine, attempt to create mixed drinks. The results are not often good.

Koolau is right, your question can be taken a couple of ways......

Tiki Drink.

How do YOU define Tiki drink? And then, would Sake fit that definition?

Historically no, Sake was not in 'common' use during the heyday of the Tiki Bar. I am sure many places had it, but seeing as it was either rare, or expensive, or both, I doubt too many cocktails with umbrellas contained Sake.

If you want to make a Tiki Drink with Sake, please share your results and pictures if you can!

W

Bah!

Serve a damned good drink, that's all that matters.

All sorts of "non-Tiki" ingredients were probably used in various exotic concoctions created by the heroes behind the bars in the Tiki palaces of the distant past. Modern day alchemists are always looking for that little something that makes the drinker pause and wonder. (A little dash of plain rice vinegar to tweak the tartness in a fruity drink maybe? Yes.)

You can get all academic (though I doubt that's likely here) but really, if the drink is lousy I don't give a damn if it's made with a blending of four kinds of rum and juice from special pressings made by young virgin buttocks gently resting on passion fruit and mangoes piled in green bamboo baskets.

Bottom line: Make a good drink. And maybe serve it with a garnish of smelling salts to ease the revival of Tiki snobs who, after reading the list of ingredients, drop their fans in shock, scream, and pass out.

K
KuKu posted on Tue, Jan 27, 2009 8:16 AM

On 2009-01-27 03:05, Bongo Bungalow wrote:
Some establishments with only a two-way license, which allows them to sell only beer and wine, attempt to create mixed drinks. The results are not often good.

Thus the Wine Margarita machine, YUM...

A

On 2009-01-27 08:00, woofmutt wrote:
from special pressings made by young virgin buttocks gently resting on passion fruit and mangoes piled in green bamboo baskets.

Photos please.

C
Chub posted on Tue, Jan 27, 2009 11:51 AM

I don't know about Sake, but if it's got any Hawaiian in it, it's not really Tiki

T

On 2009-01-27 11:51, Chub wrote:
I don't know about Sake, but if it's got any Hawaiian in it, it's not really Tiki

So no Hawaiian punch then.

Maybe Shasta Tiki Punch?

Bah!

Serve a damned good drink, that's all that matters.

All sorts of "non-Tiki" ingredients were probably used in various exotic concoctions created by the heroes behind the bars in the Tiki palaces of the distant past. Modern day alchemists are always looking for that little something that makes the drinker pause and wonder. (A little dash of plain rice vinegar to tweak the tartness in a fruity drink maybe? Yes.)

You can get all academic (though I doubt that's likely here) but really, if the drink is lousy I don't give a damn if it's made with a blending of four kinds of rum and juice from special pressings made by young virgin buttocks gently resting on passion fruit and mangoes piled in green bamboo baskets.

Bottom line: Make a good drink. And maybe serve it with a garnish of smelling salts to ease the revival of Tiki snobs who, after reading the list of ingredients, drop their fans in shock, scream, and pass out.

Best. Post. Ever.

...special pressings made by young virgin buttocks gently resting on passion fruit and mangoes piled in green bamboo baskets.

Clarification, please... is "virgin" being used as a noun or an adjective, here?

...smelling salts to ease the revival of Tiki snobs who, after reading the list of ingredients, drop their fans in shock, scream, and pass out.

That's a priceless image, too... the Tiki Prig, having an attack of the vapours!

"The rum's the thing..."

[ Edited by: Limbo Lizard 2009-01-30 07:46 ]

I think any combination of sake and lychee juice would make a good tropical cocktail.
Of course, I am not a purist either...

I would think you'd have to take the type and proper serving temperature into consideration on this one. Sake meant to be served hot would not play well with crushed ice, but in cold weather climates, a warm tiki drink could be gangbusters.

Something to get you started: The Japanese have a method of flavoring sake by placing a cup of it on half of a grilling salmon head. The smoke from the cooking fish carries oils and flavors up and over the rim of the glass where it creates an aromatic layer that enhances and adds to the flavor of the sake. Form a tiki standpoint, the same process may work with citrus peels, lemongrass, or even coconut shells. The sterno burner from a Pupu would easily do the trick. Experiment and discover.

MR

Come by my place and I'll mix you a "Mount Fuji".

Pages: 1 13 replies