Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Rum combos for Mai Tais

Pages: 1 7 replies

Thanks! Interesting read and a small fortune in rums. Yikes!

This blog seems to explain the impetus for that article and was just posted yesterday.

http://rumdood.com/archive/2009/01/26/a-month-of-mai-tais.aspx

It's nice to ride on the coat tails of those blazing the trail and reap the benefits. (How's that for a mixed metaphor?)

Note the finding about Appleton Estate 12 Year Old and Clement VSOP. Gotta try that combination.

• SV

Yeah, I hate to be so populist, but I'm kind of dissapointed that almost all the rums used in that test are ones that few of us could find and fewer of us could afford....

D
Dood posted on Wed, Jan 28, 2009 7:09 AM

On 2009-01-28 06:17, DJ HawaiianShirt wrote:
Yeah, I hate to be so populist, but I'm kind of dissapointed that almost all the rums used in that test are ones that few of us could find and fewer of us could afford....

Actually, just the winners turned out that way. I'll be publishing my entire list with all of my ratings as soon as I clean it up a bit as I've had quite a few people ask for it.

For an inexpensive combo that I ranked really highly, try Appleton Estate V/X and El Dorado 5, 12, or 15 (obviously the 5yo is the least expensive, but these days has been a little harder to find for some reason).

D
Dood posted on Wed, Jan 28, 2009 7:11 AM

Unless of course you're talking about T's post at Crushed Ice, in which case, yes, she's to be hated with bitter jealousy for her easy access to so many great demerara rums that aren't available at all in the US.

On 2009-01-28 07:09, Dood wrote:

For an inexpensive combo that I ranked really highly, try Appleton Estate V/X and El Dorado 5, 12, or 15 (obviously the 5yo is the least expensive, but these days has been a little harder to find for some reason).

Thanks for the research. This is one combo I haven't tried. I am always on the lookout for inexpensive combos for my guests that don't know any better.

On 2009-01-28 07:11, Dood wrote:
Unless of course you're talking about T's post at Crushed Ice, in which case, yes, she's to be hated with bitter jealousy for her easy access to so many great demerara rums that aren't available at all in the US.

Oh Dood please don`t..dont forget that i also have many readers in Europe and i have actually also been asked to write about these rums..

But if you took a good look at my post you would also have seen my final list of rum sugggestions, containing one of those demerara yes..but also mostly rums that are or will be (Banks XM) available in the US:

Appleton Extra with St James hors d`age or Clemént VSOP

2 oz Silver Seal 15 demerara

Sub with: (or 1.5 oz El Dorado 12 with a 0.5 oz Lemon Hart 151, alternatively 0.5 oz El D12, 1 oz XM10 and 0.5 oz LH 151)

Banks XM10 demerara (soon available in the US)

El Dorado 12 and Clemént VSOP

Zaya and Pusser´s

And besides..if you have El Dorado and LH151 you can sub all my demeraras with very good results.

Pages: 1 7 replies