Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Show us your FEZ

Pages: 1 2 48 replies

8T

Couldn't find a particular thread dedicated to showing pics of TC members Fezs. I've seen many pics here and there on other discussion threads but this one will be for anyone to share their fezs and have them together in one area. I have just acquired my first one. I've looked at them for many years but have always passed on them when I ran across them because of condition and or price. This one was just right. I love the color as well as the history behind it.

My Father was a Navy Veteran and a member of the Disabled Veterans of America. This was not his fez, he was not a Trench Rat but I bet he would have looked cool in the fez.

Here is a photo of my vintage Trench Rat fez and following is a history of the NOTR from their website. Looking forward to more of you adding your pictures!

National Order of Trench Rats
History

The National Order of Trench Rats was conceived by a group of disabled World War I
veterans who were patients in the United States Public Health Service Hospital No. 54 located
at Arrowhead Springs, California. Because of the shortage of beds following WWI, this
hospital, like many others, had been converted out of a building formerly used for other
purposes. This particular building in which the hospital was housed had been a well known
hotel located on the side of the mountain about seven miles from the city of San Bernardino.
The name "Trench Rats" was adopted as it is symbolic of the rats which the World War I
veterans encountered in the trenches in France.

Some of the patients were members of the Los Angeles Chapter of the DAV. The hospital was
isolated and there were no activities for the patients to pass the time, the majority of whom
were ambulatory. A few members of this DAV Chapter conceived the idea of organizing a
group of the most active members as a secret, fraternal society and devised an initiation
ceremony for fun and amusement and invited for membership only those DAV members who
were most active in the Chapter. As a result of this, most of the patients became members of
the DAV and its delegates to the National Convention in Salt Lake City in 1924 were able to
get the N.O.T.R. officially recognized as an Auxiliary of the DAV.

The N.O.T.R. is a secret, fraternal and honor organization limiting its membership by selection
only to those who show their devotion and meritorious service to the DAV and the welfare of
the disabled veterans, his widow and orphans. As result of this limitation, non-members have
been encouraged to become more active in their Chapters and sign up new members in the
DAV, this being one of the qualifications for membership.

The Trench Rats were proud of this contributions to the DAV and the fact that many projects
adopted by Dugouts in their local communities have helped publicize and enhance the name
and prestige of our organization. The National and State Rendezvous of the Trench Rats
have long been recognized as the highlight of the entertainment programs of DAV
conventions and have contributed greatly to the attendance. In the early years of the DAV,
when it was in financial trouble and having a difficult time supporting and extending its Service
Officer program, the N.O.T.R. raised and contributed funds for this purpose. In recent years
they have contributed to the Disabled American Veterans Service Foundation to assist the
Legislative Programs of the DAV and to the Memorial Honor Roll of Beneficiaries of the
Perpetual Rehabilitation Fund.

Much could be said about the difficulties the organization encountered in the early struggle to
survive. Recognition should be given not only to those who participated in its founding, but to
all of those members who worked so hard over the years helping build the N.O.T.R. to the
high position it now holds and to those who continue to sell its aims and purposes. Their
names are legion, many have passed away and even to mention a few would be unfair to all
the others, but recognition must be given to the responsible for it all and that is the founder,
Volney P. Mooney, who was the first Imperial Golden Rodent. He later became Commander
of Chapter No. 5 in Los Angeles, Department Commander of California, National Judge
Advocate for eight years and was elected National Commander of the DAV in 1934. To him
and to all of those living and dead who contributed over the sixty years of its existence, this
history is dedicated. Their names are inscribed in the archives of this Order, they were tried
and found true to their trusts, to their obligations and their own consciences.

We know that membership in this Organization inspired all of them with the incentives to
further the welfare of our disabled comrades and there will always remain in the minds of all
members those immortal words.

"Semper Idem Et Semper Fidelis

Now here's one for the "FOM" (fraternal order of the moai)

P
Pyro posted on Fri, Jan 30, 2009 6:17 PM

My hubby wore his leopard print fez in our xmas card photo this year.

Don't own a fez (yet). But our boat club has an annual event that we hold in a rented room at the Hella Shrine Temple. Here's a picture of a case with a donated fez from every Shriner Temple in N. America, displayed in order of the Temple's founding:

Can't help thinking that, after Sept. 11, some of the earlier Arabic/Islamic-inspired names seem a bit uncomfortable for groups of mostly middle-aged and older white guys.

So, which would be the most coveted actual Shriner fez, for a tikiphile? This one gets my vote:

On 2009-02-01 10:41, Limbo Lizard wrote:

Can't help thinking that, after Sept. 11, some of the earlier Arabic/Islamic-inspired names seem a bit uncomfortable for groups of mostly middle-aged and older white guys.

and the Arabic/Islamic-inspired Fez is that somehow less "uncomfortable"?

Probably is less uncomfortable, since it doesn't carry that association in the popular culture. Besides, the fez is not Arabic or Islamic in its origin.

Here's my fuzz!
I wear em when it's reeeeal chilly in the morning!

oops! i just re-read the title...
fez!
sorry!

Me on the left, Loki on the right, both sporting Fez.

Sorry, its a dark blue fez at night, I've got some better pictures at home I will post tonight.

L

On 2009-02-02 10:35, Chip and Andy wrote:

Sorry, its a dark blue fez at night, I've got some better pictures at home I will post tonight.

No offense but those fez make your heads look REALLY big :wink:

My first fez. Just have the one so far.

F
fenrir posted on Tue, Feb 3, 2009 7:28 PM

I saved this from almost making the trash. It was my Uncle's.

I want a fez...................

On 2009-02-03 11:52, leleliz wrote:

On 2009-02-02 10:35, Chip and Andy wrote:

No offense but those fez make your heads look REALLY big :wink:

Not so much..... its a trick of the flash on my cheap-ass camera.

New Years Eve 08/09

M
Murph posted on Sat, Feb 7, 2009 11:54 AM

Here's mine.

Surrounded by computer animation detritus...

Z
Zeta posted on Mon, Feb 23, 2009 10:10 AM

Got mine at a Flea market in Mexico City... I wonder what is the story behind it? How it ended in a Flea market in Mexico? Who brought it to Mexico? There are Masons in Mexico, many presidents were Masons, probably Shriners too... I will let the mystery be...

K
KuKu posted on Mon, Feb 23, 2009 7:42 PM

The problem is I can't figure out which one to get!?! I like 'em all...

Z
Zeta posted on Tue, Feb 24, 2009 7:55 AM

Fez galore!

From different places around the globe.

M

Zembo!

BK

The girl of my dreams:

The Tiki of my dreams:

The Shriner of my dreams:

Z
Zeta posted on Fri, Jul 31, 2009 10:47 PM

Somewhere

UJ

UB

On 2009-07-31 22:47, Zeta wrote:

Somewhere

Maroc=Morocco

Buzzy Out!

philly zombie prom 2009

my dead homies

UT

A gift from my sister from the estate of a dead man. All night long the tassel kept getting in my mouth as I mixed drinks. The same thing probably happened to the original owner....nice.

R

My new Fez-o-rama Zombie Monkey fez and a few Mira Mar League fezzes surrounding.

L

On 2009-08-09 07:03, uncle trav wrote:
A gift from my sister from the estate of a dead man.

That is so poetic!

My Fez

One I tried on at Archie McPhees

T

Tikiwahine, I've seen that (Hella fez) photo a number of times and always thought, now there is one powerful and radiant visage. For me it's the face of Tikicentral, and definite album cover material. Very nice website too by the way.

B
BigD posted on Wed, Feb 10, 2010 1:22 PM

NOTR, with tie.

and while I'm at it...

I've got a couple of Arab Lodge fez as well.

If fez its own plural, or is that Fezes?

One fezzum, two fezza?

Fezzi?

On 2010-02-10 16:09, Formikahini wrote:
One fezzum, two fezza?

Fezzi?

Fooze...?

W
Z
Zeta posted on Fri, Jul 22, 2011 8:09 AM

Black Fez Manifesto

On 2011-07-22 08:09, Zeta wrote:

Black Fez Manifesto

I thought Ahu of the FOM took it over?

Thanks, I just LOL'd with a mouthful of Singha and pad Thai!

On 2011-07-22 17:12, rugbymatt wrote:
Thanks, I just LOL'd with a mouthful of Singha and pad Thai!

:D

C

My current, and only, fez. As soon as I can justify the expense I have every intention of finding one that fits better. I bought this because I liked the design and it was the largest one in stock. Yes thats rum in a wine glass, wanna fight about it?

8T

Found this minty beaut at a Yard Sale this summer for a mere $5.

TS

So, I wasn't really a fez guy either but...I kept seeing these Shriner's fezes (fezi?) at antique shops and then Fez-O-Rama came into my awareness. While on business travel, one of the guys I was working with had gotten one from an estate sale. He offered it to me for $15 and it fit. So I had to buy it from him. It was unused. No name in the inner label and no perspiration marks, etc. It had a "Legion of Honor" band not yet attached and a couple of patches and decals too. It was just way too cool to pass up so I bought it. I dig looking at it and may have some use for it on occasion. I really like the lodge name: NILE. Anyway, here it is.

Tikiwahine,
Dig your HELLA fez there doll.

Tiki Slob

My grandson and his first Fez

OK, it's not his fez (or mine). The Shriners were lined up behind us getting ready for the local rodeo parade so Goobie went and made friends :D

8T

Here I am mugging at the Mai Kai during this years Hukilau.

Even our cat has a fez.

Here's some of my collection. I keep the tassels tucked away until I don a fez on my melon. These were all purhcased from the same vendor.

Pages: 1 2 48 replies