Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

My First Mai Tai

Pages: 1 7 replies

So tonight I did it.

I took the Jimmy Buffett CD out and poured the Hurricane down the sink, I figured I would try out this fabled drink the "Mai Tai".

After putting the Martin Denny Quiet Village LP on the turntable out came the rums and the mixes.

The first one was ok I guess using the info from the "Rum Combos for Mai Tai's" thread.
1oz Light
1oz Gold
.25 Simple Syurp
.5 Lime Juice (fresh)
.5 Orgeat
.5 Orange Curaco
using Fee Bros. for the syurp and Orgeat and Hiram Walker for the OC.

Not being a big fan of Light Rums all I have onhand is Outrigger (yea I know) I use it for punches.
The gold I used in this one was Cruzan Estate Dark.

Next Round #2
The same mix but changing the Rum to 2oz of "Old Mill Gold Rum" I am pretty sure this is a label of Cruzan as it is made on St Croix and when I lived there the only Rum makers was Cruzan. It is a little lighter in color and body than the "Estate Dark"

Next Round #3
2oz Cruzan Single barrel
alot better tasting and now I can see why folks like the Mai Tai.

On to round #4 and starting to feel it
2oz 5 Star 8 year Barbancourt
Pretty good but not as good as the Single Barrel to "Barbancourty" in Flavor.

Round #5 and wow these things are Storng!!!
1oz Single Barrel
1oz Barbancourt
Till I go to the local Rum Shop and pick up some others to try I like this blend and I am a Mai Tai convert!!!!!!

Oh yea had to listen to a couple other LP's while conducting this test that "Mai Tai" is a sippin drink for sure!!!!!

[ Edited by: Beach Bum Scott 2009-01-30 21:20 ]

BeachBumScott: Congrats! The choice of rums really does make the difference... that and careful measuring. I never tire of this drink. Although last night it was the Caipirinha...

... I like the scientific journey to find perfection! Enjoy the trip!

You have started down a golden path. The path is the destination, the Journey is the Goal. Welcome to the Quest for the perfect Mai-Tai. You will forever attempt this drink with each new rum you acquire, hoping to find that perfect blend, never disappointed, always looking for one step up.

It'll be fun, trust me!

And, try the Cruzan with some El Dorado..... tasty!

Oh! don't discount the Mainland Rums, some of them work pretty well in a Mai-Tai, but you have to tweak the levels to get it just so.

Ah, the first session of many I'm sure. Enjoy!

http://www.rumconnection.com
Daily News, Rum Reviews & Other Distractions

K
KuKu posted on Tue, Feb 3, 2009 10:42 PM

Nice huh?!? Mai Tai is my drug of choice :) Try these two rums, Appleton V/X(Jamaica) and Clement Rhum (Martinique) Be sure to ALWAYS use fresh squeezed limes and NEVER forget fresh mint. It really matters and makes a difference.

Which Clement? VSOP? Premiere Canne?

K
KuKu posted on Fri, Feb 6, 2009 10:52 AM

On 2009-02-05 17:48, rev_thumper wrote:
Which Clement? VSOP? Premiere Canne?

I use the VSOP

Pages: 1 7 replies