Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Stewardess Uniforms - Hawaii, Tahiti, etc.

Pages: 1 9 replies

I

Yesterday I discovered the website uniformfreak.com, which features various stewardess uniforms from many, many airlines. Many of the uniforms, especially those of the current era, tend to be of a somewhat generic navy blue/black style - which makes those uniforms worn for flights to Hawaii and Tahiti even more exotic and appealing. These uniforms were often the first signs of color and exotica that the tourists would see, well before the aircraft even landed on the islands.

The website does not provide direct links to the individual airline pages, so I am providing a list of those airlines with the most exotic/tropical stewardess uniforms. Go ahead and take a peek - for several of the airlines, you will have to scroll down to see the good stuff.

http://www.uniformfreak.com/index2a.html

Check out:

• Air France
  • Air Tahiti
  • Air Tahiti Nui
  • Continental Airlines
  • Hawaiian Airlines
  • United Airlines
  • UTA
  • Wardair Canada
  • Western Airlines

and although not Polynesian, check out the mod 1966 uniform from Air Braniff.

My personal favorite uniforms are the batik patterns of Singapore Airlines. I can personally attest to how much the uniforms add to the pleasure of a 12 hour flight.

Vern

Cool stuff, as always, Vern.

I really liked this one. Simple pattern, great style.

My favorites were the United uniforms from 1968 - 1970.

ahh the good ol'days before everyone became so p.c. and sensitive....when airlines actually only used to hire hot looking stewardesses.....thanks to the p.c. crowd, for the same price we get to look at some old overweight hag for 4-5 hours a flight....so sad....

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2009-01-31 09:10 ]

T

I like the Braniff one, and did you see the Hughes Airwest? Wow, now that is 70's!

N
nuKKe posted on Sat, Jan 31, 2009 9:52 AM

I'd wear the Air France uniform. cool website.

[ Edited by: nuKKe 2009-01-31 09:59 ]

K
KuKu posted on Sat, Jan 31, 2009 10:17 AM

My mom worked for PSA from '67 till they were bought by USAIR and retired in '92. I used to fly from San Diego to LAX during the early to mid 70's, every week between my mom & dad's as a teenager and always loved these uniforms the best - short & sweet...

WOW! that's an amazing site! thanks for posting!

Ah vintage stewardesses, A nice throwback to the days when saucy women played footsy under the table and called you Poopsie. No wonder I stopped flying.

K
KuKu posted on Sat, Jan 31, 2009 11:47 AM

On 2009-01-31 10:55, naugatiki wrote:
Ah vintage stewardesses, A nice throwback to the days when saucy women played footsy under the table and called you Poopsie. No wonder I stopped flying.

sometimes they did more than play footsy... :o

As always, another fabulous Vernfind. What a great site.

Here is hoping we never see this on a flight.

Pages: 1 9 replies