Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Feb. CHOP - that was FUN! - pics. pg. 3

Pages: 1 46 replies

B
Babalu posted on Mon, Feb 2, 2009 9:44 AM

I've spoken with Mieko and Bill a I guess the best place to have the next CHOP is over at my cosa. This month is real booked up for me, so I'm hoping Sunday, Feb. 22nd works for everyone.

We've got a bunch of stuffs to glaze peoples...The Jab, Pops, Sam, Toe, Tobunga, Clysdalle, Eric the Red, and Bowana and Buzzy will have stuff done too. Let's round up the wagons boys!

Hopefully, someone will bring some wood to carve on...it is a CHOP after all :)

This should be a big one...Amy's got several folks from her work that are making this one, and we have some neighbors that are coming too...

If your new to a CHOP...Fear not! You are welcome to come and have some fun...Any type of craft from carving, painting, ceramics, beading, tattooing, knitting....hell, anything goes!

If you need my address, just drop me a PM.

[ Edited by: Babalu 2009-02-22 06:36 ]

[ Edited by: Babalu 2009-02-23 07:03 ]

T

Awesome! I think I can make it... and I'll finally get to finish my mug!

C

Damn....I'll be up in Coasta Mesa with BigToe at the Musink Festival...Man, and so begins the show season. Hope to get to the next one.

Me! Bringing fabric that I'm stamping and painting and beadwork. I'll bring some extra in case anyone else wants to play with it, too. By the way, I'm open to carpooling (I can drive, no prob) from th OC area if anyone wants to share a ride.

[ Edited by: Kiki von Tiki 2009-02-02 21:07 ]

B
Bowana posted on Mon, Feb 2, 2009 9:11 PM

Does wearing a Star Wars costume get you in for free?

Woohoo Babalu! Finally a Chop 'n Slop on my weekend off. I should be able to make it and meet some of the fine TC peeps!

JT

Sweet!! A Sunday!
I shall be there. I think I'll work on my mug and bring some wood to CHOP.

M
mieko posted on Tue, Feb 3, 2009 1:45 PM

Ooo, fabric stamping? that sounds neat! Looking forward to seeing what it's all about.

See you all on the 22nd!

T

I'm pretty sure that I'll be able to make it.

On 2009-02-03 13:45, mieko wrote:
Ooo, fabric stamping? that sounds neat! Looking forward to seeing what it's all about.

Hey Mieko! Bring your exacto knife and I'll bring some stuff to carve stamps out of, fabric and paint. I'm wondering what Tobunga carves his stamps out of? See ya then!

[ Edited by: Kiki von Tiki 2009-02-03 16:20 ]

I second Mieko's "ooo, that sounds neat" about the fabric stamping!

Babs, count me in for this chop. :D

I'm in, man. Anyone want to carpool?(haha)

P

Hey, good timing! I'll be there with a mask I'm working on. Should I bring an extension cord for my Dremel?

Ellen has a new small sculpture series she's fiddling with, and she'll bring it. But she wants to pick your brain about clay.

See you there.

HT

Back in town, "Lemon Grove". If I can get Billy to pay for some gas for the car pool I'll be there. All is well on the open seas, I have some great pic's of sun rises & sets will post soon.

B

This is really gearing up to be a FUN ONE! Looks like Amy will be having around 4 folks from her work show up, and their is a few other neighbors besides Podmaker (extension cord - yes :) ) coming too...

Can't wait!

PS. If we can get a couple of people to bring pop ups, that would be very cool.

On 2009-02-07 14:39, H2O Tiki wrote:
Back in town, "Lemon Grove". If I can get Billy to pay for some gas for the car pool I'll be there. All is well on the open seas, I have some great pic's of sun rises & sets will post soon.

I'll pay for ALL the gas AND pick your ass up. Primer grey limo service, man!

Should we bring other stuff besides art supplies . . . snacks? drinks?

Usually, everyone brings something. The last few times, I haven't had time to bake, but I think I will this time. A chop at Babalus place usually goes like this: Babs has the best dogs and brats you've ever had on his hotdog cart(plus a couple boxes of Twinkies, but be careful.....you could end up shooting controversial politicians!), Mieko brings Musubi(better than L&L), and others bring odds and ends like cookies, sodas, cakes, doughnuts, specialty cocktails(thanks Nelva!), etc. Now and again, Miekos parents bring something extra that is ALWAYS good.

I will third the "ooo, that sounds neat" fabric painting. Cyndi and I are planning on carpooling to Babalu’s Chop. See everyone on the 22nd. I think I’ll have room for a pop-up.

Diana

Billy, thanks for giving me the lowdown! Sounds good.
For those of who who want to fabric paint/stamp with me;

I'll bring: some extra stamp carving blocks you can buy from me if you want to try them; but you can really make a stamp from a potato, too! I'll bring a few and whatever else I can collect for stamp making, my carving tools, paint brushes and some fabric paint and muslin (basic tan cotton fabric) for everyone to play with.

You can bring: fabric or clothes you want to decorate (all fabric should be pre-washed), and extra stuff like paint brushes, pictures or designs you might want to carve, and wood carving tools if you have them or exacto knives. Even a potato, or styrofoam trays can be useful too. Bring what you've got and we'll figure it out.

I'm really looking forward to this! Thanks for opening up the invite to everyone. See you all there. :)

I've got logs if anyone wants to make a run. Two trees came down today and need to be gotten tomorrow or Sunday, or they're going to the landfill.

I'll bring some
King Kamehameha Hot Lava Chili

for the hotdogs.

B

looks like i'll be able to make it,work is sending me to school and was not sure of the dates,looks like it will be a good one!!!!!!!!

On 2009-02-13 18:39, MadDogMike wrote:
I'll bring some
King Kamehameha Hot Lava Chili

for the hotdogs.

CHILI DOGS!!! YES! I love me some chili dogs!

T

Hey Babalu, what time does the chop kick off? Inquiring tiki minds want to know!

B

Hey all,

Sorry, I've been so busy this last week with the other job, and out of town visitors that I haven't had a lot of time to play on TC...

We usually start around 9:00 am til whenever.

If you are new to the Chops and need directions to my house just shoot me a pm.

This is going to be soooo much fun! I can't wait!

B

Hey all,

I know many will be glazing, carving, and and all kinds of things....

In the past, I have made up 'what I call' little clay canvases for people...I roll out a slab and wrap it around a pvc type pipe in a mug shape, then put a bottom on it for folks to then decorate....

I would like to make some of these up on Saturday for whom ever might want to play with one on Sunday....If you would like to try one of these could you either pm me or chime in on the thread here. I would like to not to have to make more of these than what you all might need.

Sunday's comin' up....this is going to be FUN!

I need 8.

Buzzy Out!

Hey Babs,
I'm bringing Grace and she'd like to give mug making a try, so that's one here, if you please. I'll be carving and giving instruction to a newbie this time around. His name is Randy and was at the booth next to me at Oasis.

Hey guys, hope the chop is great. See y'all at a chop sometime soon I hope!

Jen

B

Hey, sorry the Skinny Dog Crew won't be able to come...next time guys!

Well, this is shaping up to be a "large" CHOP. Lot's of PMs from new choppers that are coming, plus Amy has a crew coming too. If you can't find parking at the end of the cul-de-sac (that's where my house is)...you might have to park down towards the end of the street. It's not that long of a walk...just double park in front of my house, drop your stuff off where ever, and then go down and park.

Amy is actually making some kind of fruit, rum, punch thing? "heh?" Be nice and try it you tiki people. Amy is not big into traditional tiki drinks, but hey, it's going to be fruity and there will be rum in it. Besides that, if your going to booze it up a little tomorrow, it's a BYOB thing. I just polished up the hot dog cart and she is ready for action. I'm supplying the hot dogs, I've got some chip, sodas, waters, plates and stuff like that. If your game for bringing a little pot luck goodie of some kind, you will be loved and adored by all...but it is not necessary.

Amy's got the Mai-Tai knitting and beading club going to post up around this here table...

I set up the 14 foot table for clay and such...

The grass in the back yard has been trampled and is ready for some wood chips. Diane, thanks for bringing the pop-up...I want to put if over top of that distant table there by the door.

The Studio is also ready...

Weather says it will be cloudy...that's nice. Bring a light jacket and some workin' clothes.

Only 4 people out of the 36+ people that are coming wanted me to make a little clay canvas for them....alrighty, 4 it is then. You don't need one of these to play in clay, but if you want one holler now...I'm heading out to the studio to make them. Buzzy, you don't count...you make them faster than I do.

TOMORROW IS GOING TO ROCK!!

Babs, I want to play with some clay, but I just need a lump of clay, not a mug blank.

B

Bowana will be doing a gurning demonstration with his electron microscope goggles

B

Yes Sir, It don't cost nothin'.

TODAY! TODAY! TODAY!

Someone bring a camera....

Leaving El Centro now with a gallon of chili and a gallon of full-sugar, full caffeine Pepsi

I'm sorry to be missing this - woke up with a migrane this morning, so I'm down for the count. (And no, I have not been drinking French Zombies again!) Hope you guys have fun and And I'll be sure to make the next one.

Barometric pressure changes...I hope your migraine passes quickly Kiki.
Babalu, sitting here working, wish i could have made it down, and wish you guys would have a webcam. Hope this grey weather does not intrude on your festivities.
But Hey, i will see you on March 7th, nudge nudge

[ Edited by: oceaotica 2009-02-22 14:20 ]

Great chop today in Lemon Grove some pics of the participants.

Little mistake forgot this one,

Great first Chop for me, thanks Babalu & Amy for your gracious hospitality. The food was tasty, the tunes were eclectic, the company was awesome! Good to met you all, thanks!

B

Well now, that was fun huh! A great day had by all :) It was great to see all of the new faces that showed this time. It just wasn't the same however without Kate there...sorry you had to miss kiddo...next time.

Only time enough this morning to just throw these pics up...enjoy!

We forgot a group shot :(

B

Great turnout for the Chop, Babalu!
It was nice to meet so many new people, especially Mad Dog Mike who travelled from within 100 ft of hell and didn't even bring his shoes.

Bo Wowie

P.S. We missed you, Kate!

Bowana's got some mini aquatic creatures goin on there!
Stoked that Eric got his monkey bar a-frame glazed and ready for the kiln!
looks like you kids had a great time!
whose freemason belt buckle?
I'm guessing it's Crud's...
but is he really that cool?
:)

Baba-you're a state treasure!

Sorry I missed all the fun & Thanks for the invite Babs. I've been under the weather so to speak but look forward to chopping with y'all again soon.

JT

Big Thanks to Babalu and Amy for hosting. I had a great time. Finally finished glazing my mug and chopped some wood.
The food, Mmmmmmmm, so good.
It was great to see everyone and meet some new peeps. Hope to see ya at the next gathering.
-Johnny.

AAAAHHH SHIT! I keep trying to make it to a chop but with the economy the way it is and the Actors contract negotiations going south, I haven't worked in 2 months,
it's getting harder to make theese things! I'm glad you guys had a good time, love the pics, wish I could make it each and every month! KEEP YOUR FINGERS CROSSED FOR THOSE OF US THAT ARE OUT OF SITE BUT NOT OUT OF OUR MINDS YET!

Pages: 1 46 replies