Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

urgent : important news regarding kona / sam's seafood

Pages: 1 2 3 4 155 replies

On 2009-02-21 18:14, bigbrotiki wrote:
And please lets not drag this petty haggling out, your man has obviously done fine with other folks. Done. The fate of Sam's Seafood is much more important: A better match then being the site of the rebirth of Don The Beachcomber's in Los Angeles is unimaginable! Ka Pai!

I raise my glass to that sentiment!
I am VERY excited and hopeful about the future of this beautiful, unique tiki spot, and I look forward to supporting it with my patronage and my bar tab!
It is a real gem of California Mid-Century architecture and culture, and it is a rare blessing when these places fall into the RIGHT hands and are preserved!

Reading through this thread, I do feel the need to share my two cents on a little debate that seems to be going on here. . .
Sadly, I too had a really bad experience with the bartender in question.
So much so that I came away feeling very bummed out, and I definitely spent a lot less at the bar (which is usually one of my favorite spots!)
This directly translates into less money coming in to the establishment, and that is why this discussion is relevant.

This was my first visit to the Kona, and I was really excited to finally be there. I asked to see the drink menu and he slid one down the bar and walked away. No eye contact, no hello. He eventually came back to take our order. His attitude radiated 'I don't want to make any of your stupid f****in tiki drinks' and so I ordered a beer. (I like my drinks mixed with love, not anger) My friend ordered a Vodka Tonic, no lime. He forgot (it happens) and when my friend reminded him she asked for no lime, even making some joke about not liking vitamins with her booze, He argued with her and was aggressive and openly hostile-even going so far as to complain about us 'bitches' to two regulars at the bar not 3 feet away while we were standing there waiting for our change!

I was really stunned and speechless. I couldn't understand what was going on.
I actually took my tip off the bar that night. Something I have NEVER done, and hope to never have to do again.

Some of you may know me, and some of you may not, but I am a very happy, laid back and friendly girl, and I love all things tiki and supporting vintage cocktail culture. I was also a bartender for 8 years, including at the Lucky Tiki, and I know the particular stresses and joys of bartending.

His behavior was completely uncalled for, and there is no place behind a bar for a hostile person like that. I understand having a bad night, and maybe being annoyed by demanding customers and time consuming drinks, but you are there to do a job dude. Snap out of it.

If your a friend of his and he likes you, that's great. But you can't be a tool to 'newbies' and expect them to come back.

For New Years this year, I was really excited about the Tikiyaki show @ Kona.
In the end we decided on something else, in large part because I thought about how another run in with this surly (and not in a fun pirate way) bartender would really ruin my night.

So yes, this is serious and relevant to owners trying to run a successful business, and not just 'losers wining'.

Sorry to vent. I feel better now that I got it off my chest. I shall speak of it no further.

On to better days and a brighter future with Kona/DtB!

MAHALO for listening~

Suzy Atomikitty

T

Suzy, The fact that this guy drove away a good friend of the band is really very bothersome to me, considering mine and the band's efforts to keep the TC ohana going there. What a bummer to hear of this, that you actually passed on what was a great night because of this really rude bartender.

I hope they do something about this guy's attitude. The other bartender Chris is really cool and the bar waitress as well. Very accommodating.

Well, hopefully, these kinds of things will change with the Don coming in.

Sorry about that.

I hope that Chuck and or the new owner reads these reports or somebody sends them to him in a e-mail.

this is something that needs to be takin care of, asap.

I have never encountered hostility,
but I have noticed that sometimes they are understaffed,
and taken by surprise, and the wait can be very long.

and please please please, make the drinks better.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

P

OK, I'm convinced. There is a consistent pattern with multiple people on multiple occasions. I withdraw my "slack" comment.

The guy did make the best drinks I had that night, though. He may be surly doing it, but he does seem to have some idea what he is doing. But if you don't like making tiki drinks, then you shouldn't work in a tiki bar. Stands to reason. Perhaps Jess would be happier somewhere else.

Suzy ur the BEST you,v always been very kool to me when I was just startin out you always had me in ur Art Shows and very Acomadating . Wow we didnt go into the Bar just ordered throught a Waitres Everything was good . Humm glad I didnt go to the Bar .

Don the Beachkona

A big round of applause and gratitude!

I am in downtown LA but I have hauled myself down to Kona several times since it reopened as Kona.

I will be overjoyed to experience it as Don's. I used to live in Hollywood about two blocks away from the original location of DTB. Up until about 2003, there was a parking sign from DTB that they were still using...eventually they moved it from the McCadden Place side of the block to the Highland Avenue side, using it to direct people into the parking lot. It was not movable, it was installed into the ground.

now that they tore down the Burger King on that block, and are digging a huge hole for what I believe is a GIANT new apartment block, the sign is long vanished.

Anybody know what happened to that sign? It was the only remnant of the original Don's. I would smile a huge grin every time I walked past it.

H

You mean this sign?

R

cool picture .i love the fonts they used

In response to everyone's concerns about the bartenders attitude. First off, I wish I had been made aware of this attitude and treatment of our guest. But, we are now focused and moving forward and all I can say is there are some very big changes in personnel at the new Don the Beachcomber. Bartenders that appreciate what it takes to craft a great cocktail and bartenders that embrace the Tiki culture. Mahalo!

here here.
Cheers.
Okole Maluna (Bottoms up)
and
Aloha and Mahalo.

thanks so much for takin on the task or raising the drink bar higher.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I'm very excited to see what the new restaurant has to offer. Sam's/ Kona had SO much potential, and I'm hoping that it is finally going to be realized!
Sabu, maybe we need another reunion there to commemorate the first time we both went to Sam's?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 155 replies