Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Throbbing Gristle to tour the US!!!

Pages: 1 14 replies

That's right folks, the Wreckers of Civilization are hitting the road in April 2009.

Details at http://www.throbbing-gristle.com

I'm heading to Chicago!!!! :)

Zyklon B Zombie,
Jeff

If your wondering what these guys have to do with Exotica or Tiki they predicted the Exotica movement back in the late seventies when they played Martin Denny after their gigs. In the 80's they dedicated their Greatest Hits album to Martin Denny and Les Baxter complete with a Sandy Warner type cover art. I could go on and on..............

Later!

Saw Psychic television a looooong ways back in LA
and they even played Hamburger Lady!
Wow! The gristle is back!
Thanks for the heads up,mr. Central!

Woohoo!They are even playing in NYC (Brooklyn, actually). I am so there.

Much mahalos for posting this, Jeff.

Cheers,
Gina

Do you know if it's the original lineup? My DevArt sources say that it is so.

..we got our tickets!! see ya there!!

I

I was a relative novice to Throbbing Gristle's music until 1992, but found a couple of thrift store copies around then. I decided to listen to one of the LPs - can't remember which one - with headphones on, while I stared closely with my eyes into one of Brion Gysin's Dream Machines. I had consumed no booze, or taken any drugs before this, and I was home alone.

There were some neat visual flickering effects, but nothing earth shattering - when all of a sudden the power on my stereo suddenly clicked off. All other power in my house stayed on. My stereo had never before, or since then, experienced such an outage. It really kind of freaked me out at the time. I never did try to replicate that experiment, perhaps I should do so now?

Looking for the footage of the Dream Machine to link to here, I found this news show film clip, where reporters talk to the director of a new documentary called FLicKeR, which is about the Dream Machine. Genessis P. Orridge is featured in the trailer clip. What I found interesting is the director tells about how the Dream Machine has caused all these weird electrical effects - my experience was not an isolated one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8amSxqnQbRQ

Not sure I can make it up to the New York show .... I'll keep my fingers crossed. Hopefully you'll experience no power outages.

Vern

Cool story Vern.

Damn, I can't believe you actually found TG in a thrift store!!!

It takes time to get used to the Dreamachine and its flicker effects. I built one a long time ago using the dreamachine plans created by Brion Gysin. The more you use it the better it gets!!

The Dreamachine is the first device in history designed to be looked at with eyes closed. It also opens up inner vistas for travel and exploration. It is a machine for dreams.

There are a couple really cool videos with Dreamachine footage on them..........

Brion Gysin's Dreamachine (this has a soundtrack by The Hafler Trio and The Temple of Psychick Youth) It was released by Staaltape back in the early ninties.

Thee Films (lots of various films by William S. Burroughs, Brion Gysin and Ian Somerville)

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

[ Edited by: Jeff Central 2009-02-06 07:32 ]

H

I too have a dream machine. The cardboard one that came with the Staaltape soundtrack. It came rolled up in a tube and I had to cut out all of the slots. You place it on a turntable, hang a lightbulb in the center and spin it at 78rpm. Brion Gysin said Heathen Earth by TG was a great soundtrack for the dream machine. I love TG but as far as music for dream machines, I've found Zoviet France and Rapoon to work best. In particular ZF's "Shout the Storm" from Eostre and, well, most anything by Rapoon.

And as far as the dream machine goes, I think electronic brain wave synchronizers are far superior but the dream machine doubles as a work of displayable art.

Now I can't get "Convincing People" out of my head. LOL Cosey Fanni Tutti is so cool. I liked it when it was just her and Chris too when they formed Chris and Cosey. Great stuff. I never thought I would hear anyone else mention this band. I'd love to see them too.

RR

TG in San Francisco April 23 @ the Grand on Van Ness $30

also on the reunion trail...... MAGAZINE one of my favorite New Wave bands 5 UK shows in Feb.

RIP Lux Interior lead snger of the Cramps

If anybody has an extra ticket for the 10pm performance in Chicago please let me know. My brother is looking for one.

Tickets online are completely SOLD OUT for both shows!!!

Thanks,
Jeff

Speaking of Psychic TV... I used to bump into Fred Giannelli quite often back in my music biz days. He had some great stories about recording the RU Xperienced LP but he never told me this one:

http://www.telepathica.com/MartinDennyTribute.html

-Z

They are playing London as well. First show is sold out, tickets still available for the 21st at Heaven.

i&i would be interested in any tiki related activities in South Carolina...and Oh yeah~~~~~~~~~~I have a tiki spork...if anyone is interested...ALOHA ODABO

They still appear to love their Tiki. Here's a photo of what looks like the Tonga Room taken by Sleazy P during their American tour. I got this off 'The Wire' music magazine website.

Trader Woody

Two performances: Ricardo Montalban Theatre, Los Angeles. USA. 21st April
gotta check this in the am
Throbbing Gristle, wow. Flashback to '81 dear people!

Pages: 1 14 replies